The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Didn't know 800 to 1 k for a set of progressive lenses are good price.. Perhaps they are made from diamond I assume?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Didn't know 800 to 1 k for a set of progressive lenses are good price.. Perhaps they are made from diamond I assume?

maybe......;) Apologies for the WOT and take some time to read it. Will try to clarify more about costs of progressive lenses.

Progressive lenses has different tier and thus each tier surpass the other in terms of the clarity and reading area zone, thus the increase in the price. Apart from that, the thickness of the lenses e.g. index also plays a part in the cost of the lens. You might find that 800-1k for a piece of lens is expensive. But to others that need to have that sort of comfort and clarity, they will pay for it as they experience the feeling of seeing more comfortably.

Also its not like others have a choice of choosing a cheaper lens alternative due to
1) the frame they choose, frameless, Rimlon(half-frame). These frames require the lenses to be of higher index which are more impact resistance or else they will chip/break easier.(dont ask me if thats the case why would they choose those frames :X)
2)If their degree is high then they have no choice but to choose a thinner lens to reduce the weight of the glasses and of course aesthetically-wise.

Glasses are tools to help you to see better, W/O them , lao hua/presbyopia and all will be an issue.
Then why not get just a reading glasses? you might ask,
Because Convenience, If you have to constantly switch between distance and reading glasses it will take a toll on your eyes with the different focus constantly.

You can always compare a pair of lenses from those Quick and Easy retail outlet and then compare it to a pair of lenses with a higher grade e.g. essilor,hoya,zeiss,shamir(brands that i constantly mention) and you will see the difference.

All these justifies the price for Glasses and their price.

You buy diamond for show (unless you mean tools that are like diamond edge to cut etc etc), while others buy glasses to fit their needs and see clearer. Weight the benefits. Glasses is a Need not a Want, we are forced to use it and so we want it to be comfortable and thus are willing to pay for it.

Apologies once again for the WOT. Need to let you guys know why are progressives so expensive and why 800 that he paid for it is what i felt was a good price.

Last edited:

meqwerty

Reaction score
Anyone knows where i can get slim metal half rim glasses with magnetic clip ons?

preferably from a shop so i can have a look at the physical item before purchase.

thanks!

noobzpro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any brands of frames to recommend? Currently looking at dita and staffan preutz design.

MindHunter

Banned
Reaction score
You can always compare a pair of lenses from those Quick and Easy retail outlet and then compare it to a pair of lenses with a higher grade e.g. essilor,hoya,zeiss,shamir(brands that i constantly mention) and you will see the difference.

All these justifies the price for Glasses and their price.

wow din know shamir so up there one

thought cui brand cos no wiki page

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Eh no! They are actually pretty good. Many places also sell them. Just that not much advertisement only that's all. They are pretty premium but also have more Budget lenses:)

wow din know shamir so up there one

thought cui brand cos no wiki page

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Well apart from SP, maybe ethereal, mykita, icber, Lindberg, Porsche. There's too many, main thing is what material you looking for? Light/heavy, big/small/wide/narrow?
Any rough gauge?

Any brands of frames to recommend? Currently looking at dita and staffan preutz design.

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well apart from SP, maybe ethereal, mykita, icber, Lindberg, Porsche. There's too many, main thing is what material you looking for? Light/heavy, big/small/wide/narrow?
Any rough gauge?
Thanks for explaining all this.. Previously I did spend few hundred for branded transition lenses plus Oakley frame cost is usually 450 and above.. Now I can get 1.61 transition lense with Oakley frame for less then 200 buying from oversea. Locally the cheapest lenses only price is at least $190 and that is for 1.57 lenses only. 1.61 at least $250. K I bought from oversea and yes some of the lenses quality is not as good especially those I ordered from USA but so far I ordered from HK and Malaysia are of very good quality.

For those branded lenses costing so much aren't we paying for the overhyped and the marketing cost? 2 pc of plastic lenses costing over 1k...wow..what justify the price? It cost 500 to make? I dun think so lor.

My last pair of local made spec were abt 8 years ago. And since then for the price of a pair of local pair I can get at least 3 oversea pairs. The lenses if get scratch I just change the lenses locally.

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I feel the local opticians are all old fashion already. They and the lenses supplier should lower the price such that ppl will make more pairs to suit different wear. Like 3 pairs.. 1 for office wear, 1 for sports and 1 for weekend.

Even oversea.. Many online shops doing paying for the frames and get free prescription lenses... If u need better brand and other features then just top up abit.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining all this.. Previously I did spend few hundred for branded transition lenses plus Oakley frame cost is usually 450 and above.. Now I can get 1.61 transition lense with Oakley frame for less then 200 buying from oversea. Locally the cheapest lenses only price is at least $190 and that is for 1.57 lenses only. 1.61 at least $250. K I bought from oversea and yes some of the lenses quality is not as good especially those I ordered from USA but so far I ordered from HK and Malaysia are of very good quality.

For those branded lenses costing so much aren't we paying for the overhyped and the marketing cost? 2 pc of plastic lenses costing over 1k...wow..what justify the price? It cost 500 to make? I dun think so lor.

My last pair of local made spec were abt 8 years ago. And since then for the price of a pair of local pair I can get at least 3 oversea pairs. The lenses if get scratch I just change the lenses locally.

Before i carry on....i need to let you know that i am just a worker in a shop not a boss. So its just solely from my POV. =:p

I think its fine that you all get your lenses overseas and all. If you are comfortable with them then its really great. But sadly not everyone shares the same sentiment as you regarding them.
Your level of tolerance might be high thus lenses like these are fine. But as i mentioned, to them its really affecting their clarity and vision. When we buy Clothes, are we ok with just plain giodano or some pasa malam clothes? i really doubt so, when we wear watches, also must get something thats at least worth smth i believe. Lens are overprice? what about watches? why not wear a casio, why rolex , IWC or more. The cost of making them, marketing all factors in. Lenses yes dont cost that much BUT what about the pay for ppl making the lenses? the cost of running the machine, the cost of our optom/opticians pay? What justifies the price is the comfort of vision you receive for sure! especially for progressives
We are selling at the RRP and not jacking up the price at our end(retailer). We have to also buy the lenses from the lens company too and it is costs on our side. Everything is marked up i agree, but we are in Singapore. Thus everything will surely be expensive as compared to MSIA/other country. If getting lenses from overseas is cheaper then so be it and get them! At least it solves your vision and a smaller hole to your pocket. But what i need to bring across is that lenses, especially progressive are not some simple plastics you put infront of your eyes. Hopefully, i manage to put the point across well
Also ,I hope i dont offend any watch enthusiast here but i was just trying to draw an analogy here! *peace

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Before i carry on....i need to let you know that i am just a worker in a shop not a boss. So its just solely from my POV. =:p

I think its fine that you all get your lenses overseas and all. If you are comfortable with them then its really great. But sadly not everyone shares the same sentiment as you regarding them.
Your level of tolerance might be high thus lenses like these are fine. But as i mentioned, to them its really affecting their clarity and vision. When we buy Clothes, are we ok with just plain giodano or some pasa malam clothes? i really doubt so, when we wear watches, also must get something thats at least worth smth i believe. Lens are overprice? what about watches? why not wear a casio, why rolex , IWC or more. The cost of making them, marketing all factors in. Lenses yes dont cost that much BUT what about the pay for ppl making the lenses? the cost of running the machine, the cost of our optom/opticians pay? What justifies the price is the comfort of vision you receive for sure! especially for progressives
We are selling at the RRP and not jacking up the price at our end(retailer). We have to also buy the lenses from the lens company too and it is costs on our side. Everything is marked up i agree, but we are in Singapore. Thus everything will surely be expensive as compared to MSIA/other country. If getting lenses from overseas is cheaper then so be it and get them! At least it solves your vision and a smaller hole to your pocket. But what i need to bring across is that lenses, especially progressive are not some simple plastics you put infront of your eyes. Hopefully, i manage to put the point across well
Also ,I hope i dont offend any watch enthusiast here but i was just trying to draw an analogy here! *peace

Yeah I understand.. I ish dun like the mark up price by those supplier.. Even for frames most are from the same OEM.. Lots of monopoly and gimmicks markup.. Cheers.. I m watch lover and pay tens thousands for steel watch too..but at least I know the watch brand got history.. Every parts is hand finished and is an art mechanical piece. But seriously is like comparing Apple with durian.. Lol

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Yeah I understand.. I ish dun like the mark up price by those supplier.. Even for frames most are from the same OEM.. Lots of monopoly and gimmicks markup.. Cheers.. I m watch lover and pay tens thousands for steel watch too..but at least I know the watch brand got history.. Every parts is hand finished and is an art mechanical piece. But seriously is like comparing Apple with durian.. Lol

Cant think of another comparison...lol, seems like i just dug a grave.

Kavairs

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

But not all frames are monopolized by the same big company. E.g. Rayban are one of the brands that are not worth paying for. There are brands and their frames were priced based on its workmanship and materials. You need to do some research on. Some frames are really like art pieces.

Most of the time, the cost comes from the lenses instead.

Mani online charged you cheaply because their lenses are not the best, juz like Owndays kind. But some average consumers dun reali know or care the usage. Cheap and usable = good. But to some extent, their vision is short change. When it comes to lenses, it is really 一分钱,一分货. Juz like why camera lenses are so expensive.

Definitely, tons of average consumers known brands are overpriced. But there are mani designer level brands as well. You cant wack every single expensive eyewear as overpriced.

Another good analogy is badminton rackets. Any rackets can play badminton. But there are latest tech rackets that are premium priced, most casual players dont see the need for paying so much for recreational uses. However, the difference between racket and lenses, your eye see thru the lenses nearly 24/7.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So far, hoya still the best lens brand for me, in terms of quality and pricing, my optician agrees with me. The rest either quality not up to standards or costs.

For frames, i feel japanese still quite the best in quality workmanship and comfort design especially our faces are asian fit.

MindHunter

Banned
Reaction score
Hi gangsterkia n other experts,

is this a steal?

26231348_1527454267351187_7144350662853360488_n.jpg

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
It's 168 onwards, thus cnt determined how much. Frame might be 200-300 plus or more and adding the lens? Cost might be even more... but of course I'm not an advocate for boutique Brand’s because of afew reasons. Oakley, yes maybe. Tag Heuer is good but their service center in spore is gone so if anything goes wrong, most likely must send to hk to service. Very troublesome for you if you only have a pair of glasses. Tag Heuer also shouldn't be that cheap. The onward maybe is just the lens only. What kind of lens used...? That we are not too sure yet.. so it's best to ask more first from them before you decide..

Hi gangsterkia n other experts,

is this a steal?

26231348_1527454267351187_7144350662853360488_n.jpg

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.