Building a VR set for Exercising

Oranger

Reaction score
It's not too difficult really. U just need a big enough room, VR capable PC (est. build from scratch for a gaming rig nowadays is good enough and shld be in the range of $1.5k+/-) and HTC Vive or Oculus Rift.

Afterwhich it's just to get the games available off Steam or Oculus store.

archcherub

Reaction score
hahaha im novice at building VR
i don't really know how to start...

just googled abit today in office and still not sure what is the best deal now

archcherub

Reaction score
It's not too difficult really. U just need a big enough room, VR capable PC (est. build from scratch for a gaming rig nowadays is good enough and shld be in the range of $1.5k+/-) and HTC Vive or Oculus Rift.

Afterwhich it's just to get the games available off Steam or Oculus store.

HTC Vive or Oculus Rift?
Any recommendations?

Oranger

Reaction score
HTC Vive or Oculus Rift?
Any recommendations?

I have Vive and PSVR but I've never used the Rift before. Thus my views may be somewhat biased.

If you're going for Vive, aside from just its standard bundle, you might want to add on 'Vive Deluxe Audio Strap' for a much more comfortable fit.

Vive's area setup can be deemed easier as compared to Rift. Both its sensors only require a power-point at the diagonal ends of a square (your play-area).

Rift-wise, it requires USB communication thus the need to run its cable around your play-area. For some, may even require a 3rd sensor to have the best 360 room-scale experience.

Vive has been performing very well for me since having gotten it near its launch and with Revive, you'll also be able to enjoy Rift's exclusive games.

My setup for Vive is running off the previous-gen 980Ti. Can't recall the exact setup but quite a standard gaming setup. Current-gen wise, I believe 1070 will be good enough.

In another 3 months or so, a higher-end (larger field of view) Pimax is planned for release. The good thing is, Other than Vive's headset, all other Vive items can be used with Pimax.

Hope this helps abit!

archcherub

Reaction score
I have Vive and PSVR but I've never used the Rift before. Thus my views may be somewhat biased.

If you're going for Vive, aside from just its standard bundle, you might want to add on 'Vive Deluxe Audio Strap' for a much more comfortable fit.

Vive's area setup can be deemed easier as compared to Rift. Both its sensors only require a power-point at the diagonal ends of a square (your play-area).

Rift-wise, it requires USB communication thus the need to run its cable around your play-area. For some, may even require a 3rd sensor to have the best 360 room-scale experience.

Vive has been performing very well for me since having gotten it near its launch and with Revive, you'll also be able to enjoy Rift's exclusive games.

My setup for Vive is running off the previous-gen 980Ti. Can't recall the exact setup but quite a standard gaming setup. Current-gen wise, I believe 1070 will be good enough.

In another 3 months or so, a higher-end (larger field of view) Pimax is planned for release. The good thing is, Other than Vive's headset, all other Vive items can be used with Pimax.

Hope this helps abit!

hey thanks! v useful. at least it helps me to know what to google and read up more.
where did you buy your vive?

matthew1001

Reaction score
saw some really cheap vr headset on sale recently. bought it, however theres really not much use to it

Oranger

Reaction score
hey thanks! v useful. at least it helps me to know what to google and read up more.
where did you buy your vive?

Got my Vive from Australia when I happened to be there right after launch. But Vive now can ship directly to SG.

Thing is, a new revision's coming soon which shld be around 3rd qtr'18. As it is now, it's still a really good VR system but require that few additional upgrades to make it good.

U'll probably have to decide whether it's worthwhile to wait it out for these additional few months assuming U're not in a hurry..

archcherub

Reaction score
Got my Vive from Australia when I happened to be there right after launch. But Vive now can ship directly to SG.

Thing is, a new revision's coming soon which shld be around 3rd qtr'18. As it is now, it's still a really good VR system but require that few additional upgrades to make it good.

U'll probably have to decide whether it's worthwhile to wait it out for these additional few months assuming U're not in a hurry..

hmm i am not in a hurry.... but i don't mind starting early to exericse too haha! i just want a VR set that let me exercise without thinking it is exercise lol
inspired by that guy who lost 50 pounds using VR

Oranger

Reaction score
I think u're looking at the wrong place for games.. Vive's main library are still from Steam.

Many good games around, eg: Arizona Sunshine, Raw Data, Sairento, Holopoint, Superhot, etc. Just to name a few..

Additionally u'll also have access to Oculus' library via Revive. Notable games from there include: Lone Echo, Robo Recall, Unspoken, etc.

Maybe u can consider hoot most of the games together during sales. :)

for those who already have VR sets, what games you play?

I was checking Vive's games, not a lot, I guess coz VR relatively new, and a bit confused, not sure if I buy the game to play, or I have to pay $2 per hour to play
https://arcade.viveport.com/landing?_ga=2.51076522.2011778088.1517408160-225563956.1517408160

What do u guys play anyway?

archcherub

Reaction score
I think u're looking at the wrong place for games.. Vive's main library are still from Steam.

Many good games around, eg: Arizona Sunshine, Raw Data, Sairento, Holopoint, Superhot, etc. Just to name a few..

Additionally u'll also have access to Oculus' library via Revive. Notable games from there include: Lone Echo, Robo Recall, Unspoken, etc.

Maybe u can consider hoot most of the games together during sales. :)

awww icic! wow thats a lot more games than i thought available.
was wondering if there is good library of VR games. guess im worrying for nothing :p

msaz

Reaction score
i think vr is still impratical for excercising since wires can be very hazardous. My advise wait a bit, ces 2018 shows a new wire free vr set from HTC vive next release. the new vr set Uses a battery attachment that can last 2 hr plus.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think vr is still impratical for excercising since wires can be very hazardous. My advise wait a bit, ces 2018 shows a new wire free vr set from HTC vive next release. the new vr set Uses a battery attachment that can last 2 hr plus.

Nice, a wireless VR headset.

But I think I have seen another way for it is that using a laptop for VR, sad is that u have to buy the right backpack and the laptop for it =P

Mizo217

Reaction score

Impractical for losing weight also because once got the mentality of nvm got this "exercise" will go buffet go whatever :s13:

archcherub

Reaction score

Impractical for losing weight also because once got the mentality of nvm got this "exercise" will go buffet go whatever :s13:

ok mah,
https://uploadvr.com/man-loses-50-pounds-playing-soundboxing/

this guy did lose 50 pounds using VR.

of course i will not be eating more. haha!

Last edited:

kreja

Master Member
Reaction score
I cant decide if i like fallout4vr anot. Played 2hours, leg damn tired...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.