[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you will have to determine if your data will expand in the next few coming years, if money not an issue, of course more bay better.
if in doubt, can always get the 2 bay and upgrade to a newer 4 bay model in a few years time

Sorry to check with you on 4 bays NAS. Like say I have budget concern to get 4 HDs, so I get 1 by 1 for every 6 months. Will Raid SHR works ?

Now - 1 HD
6 months later - +1 HD = 2 HD
12 months later - +1 HD = 3 HD
18 months later - +1 HD = 4 HD

setiardi

Reaction score
Yes, it is designed to expand storage automatically when you add new drives.

SHR works with minimum 1 hdd. But nil protection from data loss if your hdd conks out.
Minimum 2 hdd for 1 drive fail without complete data loss

SHR-2 works with minimum 4 hdd. 2 hdd can fail with the ability to retain data when new drives are replaced.

See here for better understanding.

Just to add, using SHR, 2x 4tb will show up only 4tb total storage space. 4x 4TB will show up as 12TB only as part of each the drives is used for data protection.

The good thing is any drives can fail without the NAS losing data provide not more than 1 drive (for above example 4x 4tb on SHR) fail simultaneously.

I use SHR-2 for my NAS for data safety.

Last edited:

juliantchan

Reaction score
Need expert who has used Prolink UPS lately to share experience.
The model I am targeting is either a PRO700SFCU or PRO850SFCU.
I am particularly wanting to know if source power to UPS failed, it will command the connected device thru the USB data cable connecting between them to shutdown gracefully.
Moreover, if I have to choose APC UPS, which are the close models (with universal socket/outlet) to above.
Thanks....

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need expert who has used Prolink UPS lately to share experience.
The model I am targeting is either a PRO700SFCU or PRO850SFCU.
I am particularly wanting to know if source power to UPS failed, it will command the connected device thru the USB data cable connecting between them to shutdown gracefully.
Moreover, if I have to choose APC UPS, which are the close models (with universal socket/outlet) to above.
Thanks....

if you want budget, don't expect it. I have the 850 model. Don't think it will have graceful because it couldn't detect the minutes remaining as compared to my previous APC model

If you want grace shutdown, use APC.

juliantchan

Reaction score
if you want budget, don't expect it. I have the 850 model. Don't think it will have graceful because it couldn't detect the minutes remaining as compared to my previous APC model

If you want grace shutdown, use APC.

Thank you very much for the info.
Please confirm, with the mentioned defect, user has to power down the Synology server (or other USB directlky connected devices) manually which I referred as "gracefully shutdown".

Mind to advise if I have to look for APC UPS, which are the models able to interface with Synology DSM (thru commands or signal) to power off server by itself when APC UPS is losing external power supply.
To make the question crystal clear:
1. Synology DiskStation is connected with APC UPS thru a USB cable
2. No additional software (e,.g PowerChute) is required to run on device
3. When APC UPS losing external power supply, it will raise a signal or send command to Synology server thru the USB cable
4. Once Synology DSM detects the signal or receives the commands, it will perform according to configured UPS actions (e.g. shutdown properly after n mins)

Per above requirement, I am targeting BK650-AS or BX650CI-MS or is there other better-suit models I need to look into?

Thanks and Regard,

TopGun

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the info.
Please confirm, with the mentioned defect, user has to power down the Synology server (or other USB directlky connected devices) manually which I referred as "gracefully shutdown".

Mind to advise if I have to look for APC UPS, which are the models able to interface with Synology DSM (thru commands or signal) to power off server by itself when APC UPS is losing external power supply.
To make the question crystal clear:
1. Synology DiskStation is connected with APC UPS thru a USB cable
2. No additional software (e,.g PowerChute) is required to run on device
3. When APC UPS losing external power supply, it will raise a signal or send command to Synology server thru the USB cable
4. Once Synology DSM detects the signal or receives the commands, it will perform according to configured UPS actions (e.g. shutdown properly after n mins)

Per above requirement, I am targeting BK650-AS or BX650CI-MS or is there other better-suit models I need to look into?

Thanks and Regard,

If you are referring to the following model, then yes, DSM is able to communicate with the UPS. The UPS is able to initiate a proper shutdown of the NAS. I am using it.

http://www.apc.com/shop/id/en/products/APC-BACK-UPS-CS-650VA-230V-ASEAN/P-BK650-AS

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is designed to expand storage automatically when you add new drives.

SHR works with minimum 1 hdd. But nil protection from data loss if your hdd conks out.
Minimum 2 hdd for 1 drive fail without complete data loss

SHR-2 works with minimum 4 hdd. 2 hdd can fail with the ability to retain data when new drives are replaced.

See here for better understanding.

Just to add, using SHR, 2x 4tb will show up only 4tb total storage space. 4x 4TB will show up as 12TB only as part of each the drives is used for data protection.

The good thing is any drives can fail without the NAS losing data provide not more than 1 drive (for above example 4x 4tb on SHR) fail simultaneously.

I use SHR-2 for my NAS for data safety.

Thanks.

Now very tempting to get this 4 bays NAS :D

Tyer

Master Member
Reaction score
Guys. Sorry to trouble the experts here. Anyone tried to connect Vstarcam ipcam, C7824WIP with a Synology NAS DS214play? When i add camera using surveillance station 8.1, I am able to see the camera details (Ip address etc). However, when i click on the test connection, it failed.
Do I need to do something else?

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys. Sorry to trouble the experts here. Anyone tried to connect Vstarcam ipcam, C7824WIP with a Synology NAS DS214play? When i add camera using surveillance station 8.1, I am able to see the camera details (Ip address etc). However, when i click on the test connection, it failed.
Do I need to do something else?
Check your firewall settings.

lawzhong

Reaction score
Can seek advice if cloud station sync will work with macOS High Sierra? Can I choose preferred folder to sync? Thought of changing to Synology as WD Sync on my EX2 failed to work properly after upgrading to High Sierra.

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, very good price. Grab before price goes back to 700+.

Actually bought it and arriving today :D

I have yet to get the HD. Any suggestion?

should I stick to HGST? My current DS216J is using them and no issue so far.

Somehow the Lazada HGST 4TB ($177) offer is not available :(

Allanlee82

Reaction score
Actually bought it and arriving today :D

I have yet to get the HD. Any suggestion?

should I stick to HGST? My current DS216J is using them and no issue so far.

Somehow the Lazada HGST 4TB ($177) offer is not available :(

stick to hgst if budget allow, if not can consider toshiba (4tb $149 before discount, oversea) or even seagate (4tb $139 before discount, 2 years local warranty)

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I used 4x 2TB Toshiba HDD since Sep 2014 until I sold them late last year. No issue, bought another 4 units of same model for current DS418.

SnorlaxGorGor

Reaction score
For DS918+ user, what is the feedback? Is this a good buy? :)

I am thinking to buy a NAS to store my download file.

Is HGST Deskstar good for NAS?

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For DS918+ user, what is the feedback? Is this a good buy? :)

I am thinking to buy a NAS to store my download file.

Is HGST Deskstar good for NAS?
Rather than getting feedback, you should state your budget & usage for DS918+. The plus series is the top of line range.

discoburg

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I had add on a portable HDD in the USB drive of the NAS. Why can't i see the external drive in my file station?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.