Optical Network Terminal (ONT) vs Optical Netork Router (ONR). What's the difference?

Zach-Tec

Reaction score
Hi, I am currently with StarHub 1Gbps Fibre Broadband Plan. Just want to confirm that StarHub offers ONT and not ONR? I am using Nucleus Connect (Black color one). I am really confused the more I read up.

I am thinking of change in ISP, and I am currently with ASUS RT-AC5300 router model. I have read up on some comments on some sites, but I still do not understand the REAL differences between them. I have tried to attempt a search on Google for this, but there is no results between the differences.

If I sign up with a broadband plan and gets ONR, does it mean that my ASUS RT-AC5300 doesn't have all the features I am getting now with ONT? Does it mean that I can only set it to Access Point (AP)?

I hope someone can give me a detailed explanation between the difference in SIMPLIFIED sentences for me to understand. I am sorry about this.

Thank you.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
An ONT (optical network terminal) is like a ONR (optical network router) without a router functionality. ISP like Singtel uses an ONR an a seperate access point for WiFi. Since starhub bundle a dlink router it most likely they provide a ONT. To use your own router in case you have an ONR, just turn the ONR into bridge mode (disable it's router functionality) or something along the lines.

I believe SingTel ONR comes with 2 vlans by default one for internet and another for its TV. If you choose to use your own router and bypass the ONR router functionality, do choose a router that has SingTel's vlans preset built in. Or manually set the vlans (few routers are capable of creating vlans manually)

Last edited:

Apex

Reaction score
Hi, I am currently with StarHub 1Gbps Fibre Broadband Plan. Just want to confirm that StarHub offers ONT and not ONR? I am using Nucleus Connect (Black color one). I am really confused the more I read up.

I am thinking of change in ISP, and I am currently with ASUS RT-AC5300 router model. I have read up on some comments on some sites, but I still do not understand the REAL differences between them. I have tried to attempt a search on Google for this, but there is no results between the differences.

If I sign up with a broadband plan and gets ONR, does it mean that my ASUS RT-AC5300 doesn't have all the features I am getting now with ONT? Does it mean that I can only set it to Access Point (AP)?

I hope someone can give me a detailed explanation between the difference in SIMPLIFIED sentences for me to understand. I am sorry about this.

Thank you.

ONT is just ONT (like when u have now Nucleus Connect (Black color one)

ONR is like ONT + router build. 2 in 1. I think currently only Singtel using ONR.

crewcutboy

Reaction score
modem = device that converts incoming signal into data
router = device that accepts the data and hands it off to the correct user down the chain
most consumer routers are also wireless (wifi) transceivers

ONT = modem
ONR = modem + router (all-in-one)

If you're given an ONT, you need your own router.

If you're given an ONR (e.g. Singtel 1Gpbs and above, VQ 2Gpbs plan), your current router can only run in Access Point mode for wifi. Its routing function will be disabled and therefore any advanced features cannot be used.

Hope this is simple enough.

Trans-Am

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I am thinking of change in ISP , and I am currently with ASUS RT-AC5300 router model. I have read up on some comments on some sites, but I still do not understand the REAL differences between them. I have tried to attempt a search on Google for this, but there is no results between the differences.

Thank you.
Terminated your current isp only when your new isp is up and running.

Sent from :bandit:
Stay low Move fast !
Shoot first Die last !
One shot One kill !
No luck Pure skill !!
:s17: using GAGT

mun

Reaction score
only advantage that i can think of for ONR is best use with wifi mesh (1 less device - wireless router). this setup is very neat and nice- whole house wireless enabled with no blind spot. i am now using ST 1Gbps ONR with 2 airties mesh and i find this most ideal wireless setup for my house

Zach-Tec

Reaction score
modem = device that converts incoming signal into data
router = device that accepts the data and hands it off to the correct user down the chain
most consumer routers are also wireless (wifi) transceivers

ONT = modem
ONR = modem + router (all-in-one)

If you're given an ONT, you need your own router.

If you're given an ONR (e.g. Singtel 1Gpbs and above, VQ 2Gpbs plan), your current router can only run in Access Point mode for wifi. Its routing function will be disabled and therefore any advanced features cannot be used.

Hope this is simple enough.

So which means if I have RT-AC5300, it's better for me to go for ONT if I want all the advanced features?

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score

Thank you.

ONT = modem
The pros is you can still use any router which supports Singtel Vlan Tagging, such as your ASUS RT-AC5300. All the routing features and AI protection you still can fully utilise it.

ONR = modem + router
The pros of Singtel ONR is that it is a wired router. It generates very little heat and it is ideal to be kept in the utility box.

The cons is in order for you to use your existing router with the ONR, IT must set as AP to act a bridge between your devices and your ONR.You can't use any features when it is an AP. The ONR will handle all the routing task.

Hope this clear any doubts you have.

mr_voodoo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Simple answer.

Yes, your router will only function in AP Mode with an ONR as it will handle the routing for you.

Don't worry too much about this, unless you are heavy user - a ONR itself should be sufficient for most users.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
For now you can’t.. onr will continue to run in routing mode and that only an ap can be connected to it.

Likewise advanced users will try to beat the system by running another router behind the onr placing it in dmz..

Well that's enough for me to strike SingTel, whizcomms and other ISP that uses a ONR off my list of ISP to even consider.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well that's enough for me to strike SingTel, whizcomms and other ISP that uses a ONR off my list of ISP to even consider.

Yes one should strike out those ISPs that try to limit your internet using their own customed router.

You simply have no freedom. The cons outweigh the benefits.

Apex

Reaction score
Yes one should strike out those ISPs that try to limit your internet using their own customed router.

You simply have no freedom. The cons outweigh the benefits.

For non tech savvy user. ONR is good. For us we want free control

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to run a VPN server behind an ONR? seems like Asus router won't work in access point mode

Apex

Reaction score
Is there any way to run a VPN server behind an ONR? seems like Asus router won't work in access point mode

Should be able to do it. If the correct ports are forward to Asus. Ya asus cannot be in AP MODE.

I think I dump Asus IP into singtel router DMZ

DID that before on singtel last time before I switch to m1.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.