Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
first time going to Japan in April 2018 with 2 kids (3 years old and 1 year old with stroller) and 3 adults (including me). anyone went Japan before can give some recommendations for places and comments for the below itinerary ? thanks

is it advisable to buy the 14 days JR pass or the 7 days JR pass when travelling from Tokyo to Kyoto and Kyoto to Tokyo?

Do you really need to go to Kyoto for your trip? Most of the passageways and temples are not stroller friendly. Roads are also quite small and bumpy (cobblestones) so if you are bringing along a light stroller, the wheels will often get stuck.

Personally, I would highly recommend just Tokyo and its surrounding areas such as Yokohama, Kamakura, Hakone, Kawaguchiko, etc. Based on your plan, you're trying to fit in too much which is fine for singles/couples but maybe tiring for kids.

Also, I wouldn't recommend Hiyori Hotel Maihama as the place is quite far from public transport. There are plenty of other options that are nearer to Disney resort that doesn't cost much.

For Ghibli museum, I suggest buying the ticket online. Take note when your date is ready for sale as you need to camp online. If you are late by a few minutes/hours, chances are the tickets would have been sold out.

apeape

Reaction score
Also Kyoto is majority travel by bus. The bus is small, cramp and not luggage/stroller friendly. but if you have to, please make use of the coin lockers in the station.

Beefsteak

Master Member
Reaction score
first time going to Japan in April 2018 with 2 kids (3 years old and 1 year old with stroller) and 3 adults (including me). anyone went Japan before can give some recommendations for places and comments for the below itinerary ? thanks

is it advisable to buy the 14 days JR pass or the 7 days JR pass when travelling from Tokyo to Kyoto and Kyoto to Tokyo?

Your plan looks doable to me. You didn't really squeeze in too many places at a day. Have you booked your accommodations especially at Kyoto yet? If not, I suggest your book them ASAP because that is high tourism period and accommodations are filling up fast.

caniggia

Reaction score
Haruka line under JR.

Next alternative is nankai train to namba, transfer to osaka municipal train on midosuji line.

Thanks for the headsup. Actually Im going to stay over at shin osaka for a night before heading to shinjuku as i will be arriving around 530pm local time at kansai airport. So dun wanna risk take jr directly to tokyo, thus spending a night at shin osaka.
Any direct way to get to shinjuku from shin osaka?

Hellooo

Suspended
Reaction score
Do you really need to go to Kyoto for your trip? Most of the passageways and temples are not stroller friendly. Roads are also quite small and bumpy (cobblestones) so if you are bringing along a light stroller, the wheels will often get stuck.

Personally, I would highly recommend just Tokyo and its surrounding areas such as Yokohama, Kamakura, Hakone, Kawaguchiko, etc. Based on your plan, you're trying to fit in too much which is fine for singles/couples but maybe tiring for kids.

Also, I wouldn't recommend Hiyori Hotel Maihama as the place is quite far from public transport. There are plenty of other options that are nearer to Disney resort that doesn't cost much.

For Ghibli museum, I suggest buying the ticket online. Take note when your date is ready for sale as you need to camp online. If you are late by a few minutes/hours, chances are the tickets would have been sold out.

yes, i already booked Kyoto accommodations. i also have a stroller that can fold and hand carry.

Your plan looks doable to me. You didn't really squeeze in too many places at a day. Have you booked your accommodations especially at Kyoto yet? If not, I suggest your book them ASAP because that is high tourism period and accommodations are filling up fast.
yes, Gion Ryokan Q-beh at Kyoto

Also Kyoto is majority travel by bus. The bus is small, cramp and not luggage/stroller friendly. but if you have to, please make use of the coin lockers in the station.
ok. thanks.

remember to fast hand fast leg when booking tix
ok. thanks.

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the headsup. Actually Im going to stay over at shin osaka for a night before heading to shinjuku as i will be arriving around 530pm local time at kansai airport. So dun wanna risk take jr directly to tokyo, thus spending a night at shin osaka.
Any direct way to get to shinjuku from shin osaka?
Bus is your best bet if you are dead on 'direct'

Fastest transport is to take shinkasen on tokaido shinkasen line from shin osaka Station to Shinagawa Station before transferring to JR normal train on yamanote line.

joysl82

Reaction score
I think you might have missed this. “A great value, convenient ticket that covers all transport links between Dentetsu Toyama Station and Nagano Station.”

https://www.alpen-route.com/en/transport_new/fares.html

Just to update. The option tix covers the Alpico express bus bound for Ogizawa but with timing restriction. So if u want to reach early to avoid the crowd, need to pay 2600 yen more....

https://www.alpen-route.com/en/plea...ed-that-day-at-jr-nagano-station-~jr長野駅での当日-2

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hellooo, Just wanna update you that the bus will be very crowded...
The picture below is for non-peak season.

dly1710140011-f1.jpg

if u can afford, take taxi better...

lionheart80

Reaction score
hi all gurus

going for my 2nd osaka trip but 1st time to USJ so am wondering what kind of passes including entrance tickets i need to get in order to shorten the waiting time for rides and the expected price range so i can plan my budget

basically will be going for minions ride and maybe some other interesting rides included in the park itself, no need harry porter and main priority is the new universal cool japan 2018 rides which we will be going for ff xr and monster hunter world only

thank you all

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not only Kyoto but Kawaguchiko is also very crowded for non-peak season. The famous retro bus that goes to most sightseeing places always has a long queue and is not very frequent also.

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...another-japanese-volcano-week-fatal-eruption/

The Meteorological Agency raised the warning level ... on Mount Zao ... to 2 from 1, meaning people should avoid going near the crater.

“There is a possibility of a small-scale eruption,” the agency said in a statement, noting that a number of small earth movements were detected Tuesday, along with a slight bulging of the ground in one area.

It also warned of the possibility that volcanic rocks could be jettisoned as far as 1.2 km in an eruption.

Exactly a week to go before my trip to Zao Onsen. Wondering if I should change plans.

Quote from SnowJapan: "You might have seen on the news about the volcano alert level at the nearby crater being raised yesterday. Hmmm. No other information for you on that, other than... life goes on as normal and there has been no 'events' to relay. Zao Onsen village is about 5km away from the area concerned and the tourism office has issued an announcement that we are 'unaffected'. We live with these things here in Japan!"

Regardless of this, 5km is like Raffles Place to Boon Keng only, wonder if it's prudent to ski so near a volcano that has an eruption imminent even if the met agencies say it will only be a small one ...

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Should be quite easy to see them in departmental stores. You can also ask for hot water quite easily at places that make hot drinks

Even theme parks have them iirc

skyblood

Reaction score
Any recommendation for wifi router, previous trip to Japan i tried global advance communication (GAC) but this round i may opt for Changi recommends which is only $29 compare to GAC which is $100 plus. Any 1 tried both of this router before ??

darkdevil

Master Member
Reaction score
will be heading to Fuji Kawaguchiko from tokyo and staying at Hotel Gengo for a night. is it advisable/more worth it to rent a car to travel to-and-fro as well as exploring the Fuji area? (total 3 adults)

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone did a day trip to Koyou Ryokan at Hayama/Kaminoyama-onsen before by any chance?

Trying to book a meal plan + onsen day use but can't quite figure out the online booking system (and they aren't replying my emails ...)

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh the natural "anti-gaijin" web systems....

some sites might even go to the length of asking of valid ID or Japan only phone number.

Depending if they have the english speaking staff on hand to handle your group, they might not reply you. I know this sound like 1990s style of Japan but they sometimes do the whole "I can't serve you properly so I rather don't try"

edit : took a quick glance, the reservations are for stays. You have friends who did a day spa+meal there before?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.