Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, not sure this is the correct thread but I really needed urgent advise.
Recently I cancelled my Starhub cable TV and my hub returned the TV Station yesterday. Then I realise my TV will not work since the SCV TV box is remove. I tried to connect my TV cable to the TV point that was move into the TV console by my id when the hse is new in 2010 but the image received are very distorted. Will need your advise on these question I have.

1) When we have the SCV TV box, is it that the TV will connect to the box then the box connect to the wall point?
2) If so, can I connect the TV directly to the same wall point to receive the channels properly.
3) With my attempt to connect the cable to the point in my tv console that didn't produce clear image, is it becos the point is not working properly?
4) If I were to get a DVB-T2 box, will it work like the SCV TV box where I connect my TV HDMI cable to the box then the box cable to the wall.

Sorry if I sound confusing as I am very green to all these and totally lost on what to do to get my TV work again. :s11:

1. yes
2. yes, analogue channels only
3. if it worked before you disconnected the starhub box, it should still be working. However, you need a cable with different connectors at both end, you can't reused the cable from starhub box.
4. no. You need to buy a dvb-t antenna.

Although you can still receive analog channel by using the correct cable connected to the starhub point, it is not the best solution - the picture is no good and the service will be terminated in a few month's time. It is better to get a dvb-t2 box with antenna.

Gal711

Reaction score
1. yes
2. yes, analogue channels only
3. if it worked before you disconnected the starhub box, it should still be working. However, you need a cable with different connectors at both end, you can't reused the cable from starhub box.
4. no. You need to buy a dvb-t antenna.

Although you can still receive analog channel by using the correct cable connected to the starhub point, it is not the best solution - the picture is no good and the service will be terminated in a few month's time. It is better to get a dvb-t2 box with antenna.

Thank you for your advise.
So if I wan easier way, can I get a DVB-T2 box + a DVB-T antenna and follow the same connection like we do with the starhub box?

If I get a Doggle stick, and link with my M1 wifi, I can use my TV to watch youtube (preload in my Sony Bravia TV) but not the local TV channel right?

I personally dun watch TV programs but hv kids n elderly at home that wants that. What is the most cost effective and easy way to get it done?

Thanks alot

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your advise.
So if I wan easier way, can I get a DVB-T2 box + a DVB-T antenna and follow the same connection like we do with the starhub box?

If I get a Doggle stick, and link with my M1 wifi, I can use my TV to watch youtube (preload in my Sony Bravia TV) but not the local TV channel right?

I personally dun watch TV programs but hv kids n elderly at home that wants that. What is the most cost effective and easy way to get it done?

Thanks alot

Bravia TV - what is the model no?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
KDL-40EX600

The manual stated that it has dvb-c tuner, not sure whether it is compatible with starhub, if yes, you can still continue to use starhub's cable point to receive HD video, the quality should be the same as the starhub box. However, this is not a permanent solution as starhub is planning to shut down the cable signal in a few year's time.

If you want to try dvb-c, make sure that the RF cable is terminated with the right connector at the tv end.
ZYzyqSo.jpg

The other option (better option) is dvb-t2 set top box.

Gal711

Reaction score
The manual stated that it has dvb-c tuner, not sure whether it is compatible with starhub, if yes, you can still continue to use starhub's cable point to receive HD video, the quality should be the same as the starhub box. However, this is not a permanent solution as starhub is planning to shut down the cable signal in a few year's time.

If you want to try dvb-c, make sure that the RF cable is terminated with the right connector at the tv end.

The other option (better option) is dvb-t2 set top box.

Hi Gregory, so in other words, best way is to get a dvb-t2 box and an antenna n connect the way the starhub box was connected then it will be fine right?

Really thankful for your advice.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Gregory, so in other words, best way is to get a dvb-t2 box and an antenna n connect the way the starhub box was connected then it will be fine right?

Really thankful for your advice.

Yes. There are sellers in lazada/qoo10 selling these boxes at $20-$25, some come with option of buying $1/$2 antenna.

Suggest trying the $1/$2 antenna first. If the cheap antenna is not giving good picture, then buy active antenna to replace it. This thread has many posts about these antenna.

dexter9898

Reaction score
Whenever I hear people using the antenna, I always feel that Singapore is taking a step backwards.

Only in the 1970 - 1980s, Singaporeans are required to have 1 antenna in each home to tune to TV program....

Singapore really going backward.

My Dad was really surprised when I told him that we need an antenna connected to the TV and still need to position it to a good position to reach the signal. He was like wtf....

Everything is moving wireless and nearly all wireless technology requires an antenna (just whether it is big or small). Who is still using landline phone to call and not using a mobile phone? Mostly have WiFi router at home. People are still listening to FM radio. Blue-tooth headphones or devices also need antenna. Nowadays even cars are using RFID to unlock.

Antenna size (length) = Usually half the wavelength of transmitting frequency, but with the advancement of technology everyday, the antenna is getting smaller.
Higher frequency = Shorter antenna requirement = limited coverage even on high power

Last edited:

Gal711

Reaction score
Yes. There are sellers in lazada/qoo10 selling these boxes at $20-$25, some come with option of buying $1/$2 antenna.

Suggest trying the $1/$2 antenna first. If the cheap antenna is not giving good picture, then buy active antenna to replace it. This thread has many posts about these antenna.

Great. Will focus on that option then. Thanks again for the great help.

zzxxzzxx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyway there's no DVB-T antenna.
Only passive or active.

Passive does not need external power supply.
Like those rabbit ear antenna.

Active antenna draws power externally.
Usually by USB port.

blastmachine

Reaction score
Now there is just a few things for your information.
I use an extension coaxial cable joined with an adaptor to create the extended length. I was worried that in the event signal goes weak I can simply moves the antennae to the window then.
I also have another device HDMI cable going through the feature wall lobang.
Was happy with the setup then realized that the signal from Channel U HD gets erratic (image freezing, mosaic, no signal .......) only this channel whenever I power up the Xbox HDMI connection.
Tested the direct connection with the antennae cable to TV without going through the lobang and signal was normal again.
Therefore changed the HDMI cable to those with better insulation and ferrite ring at both end (HDMI 2.0) type.
This time signal was stable but gets cut-off intermittently.
Then by chance I touch the coaxial joint adaptor (which is metal) and there was static charges.
Wrapped it with those rubber electrical tape (not plastic type) and problem solved.
Now Channel U HD (highest frequency) signal both stable and strong without any interference.
Hope this helps with your plan on your set up.;)

I had the same issue as you.. both android box hdmi and passive antenna rg6 cable running through the feature wall.

The moment i turn on my android box, my singapore channels stayed good but malaysian channels went missing. This is understandable since the malaysian channel were at the highest frequencies among them.

However my passive antenna dont have any adapter/ extender. It is an antenna with 5m rg6 coaxial cable. This could be the nature of hdmi termination where its grounding is known to radiate noise.

Nothing serious but still looking for a work around for this issue.

marin3

Reaction score
I had the same issue as you.. both android box hdmi and passive antenna rg6 cable running through the feature wall.

The moment i turn on my android box, my singapore channels stayed good but malaysian channels went missing. This is understandable since the malaysian channel were at the highest frequencies among them.

However my passive antenna dont have any adapter/ extender. It is an antenna with 5m rg6 coaxial cable. This could be the nature of hdmi termination where its grounding is known to radiate noise.

Thanks for sharing, sure this information will useful for some other members.
Anyway my solution was trial and error testing as I was determine to find a solution.
I was even desperate enough to consider wrapping the entire RG6 cable with further insulation, if needed.
For your case why not try insulating metal the end of the RG6 cable contact where it is nearest to the HDMI connection to the TV?

moron+genius

Reaction score
Anyway my solution was trial and error testing as I was determine to find a solution.
I was even desperate enough to consider wrapping the entire RG6 cable with further insulation, if needed.
For your case why not try insulating metal the end of the RG6 cable contact where it is nearest to the HDMI connection to the TV?
Rg6 has an outer wire mesh tats supposed 2 act as shield 2 prevent interference. Maybe the 2 ends r not properly terminated cause the shield 2 b ineffective

blastmachine

Reaction score

Just got a workaround to it. Tested the hdmi port further away from the tuner, everything looks good.. for now. 😉 If issue still persist, will consider ur option of insulating the rg6 cable end.

Also just notice that malaysian dvb t2 signals also comes with their own version of "toggle", they call it hybrid tv evolution. No need to subscribe, log in or pay like spore.. Not bad. Dont know how come my tv detect kuala lumpur weather 😆

TJrQA2x.jpg

blastmachine

Reaction score
Rg6 has an outer wire mesh tats supposed 2 act as shield 2 prevent interference. Maybe the 2 ends r not properly terminated cause the shield 2 b ineffective

Not so sure.. the rg6 termination is factory plastic moulded. Then again I found this antenna in the store room, not used and still in its orignal packaging. Maybe bought a few years ago but never use. Surprise by its quality since it is passive.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If you have interference problem due to hdmi cable, change it to cable with ferrite cores.

monoprice-3992-6-foot-ferrite-core-hdmi-cable-94.jpg

blastmachine

Reaction score
Anyone know of any model or KII PRO T2 with Android proven working in Sgp ?

Thanks for any advice.

I used to have kiii pro android hybrid dvbt2 box. Bought it last year jun. Lasted 6 months 😪

So far i've tested a couple of dvb t2 set top box.. k2 stand alone dvb t2 and k3 pro (android hybrid with dvb t2/ s2).

K2 is a cheap & gd box. Overheating is common for these cheap boxes but working well for 1 year plus already as long as you place in a well ventilated area. Been using this in my mom's bed rm, pq and tuner are excellent.. better than k3 pro (android hybrid). Its true what the guys here are saying.. the remote does lag and the chinese sub may not work ( did not check since not using it). Bottom line that its cheap and does its purpose if you can live with a couple of trade-offs.

K3 pro is a good android box and a decent dvb t2 if you rate them separately. I did flash with custom rom to get the full performance out ofthis box. There was some issue audio of of sync for dvb t2 signals but that was fix on the latest firmware if im not wrong. Neverthless, the hdmi output died on me during one thunderstorm afternoon and i did not follow up their latest development . If i compare its pq and tuner, K3 pro pq is not as sharp as K2 standalone, not a big difference though. K3 pro tuner is also too sensitive to emf. It could be the usual hdmi vs rf issue again, but that is just my take after meddling with these 2 boxes. If you got a dvb t2 signal that is marginal and alot of emf around your tv console, k3 pro will probably struggle to get that marginal signal with a lot of fluctuations. K2 though seems to capture that signal and stabilize. And k3 pro does seems to get hot after awhile. Its also quite expensive at usd$100++ but then again u get good spec android box with dvb c/ t/ t2/ s2. Its a killer combo but its a shame it died on me.

My point is that expensive doesnt always mean its gd. Go with ur needs and budget

marin3

Reaction score
Yup, tried this cable before but no difference
Ya me too, as stated in my solution.
Changed to the HDMI to those with the ferrite rings only shows marginal improvement until wrapped up the metal contacts of the RG6 with rubber insulation and the problem was solved.

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I used to have kiii pro android hybrid dvbt2 box. Bought it last year jun. Lasted 6 months 😪

So far i've tested a couple of dvb t2 set top box.. k2 stand alone dvb t2 and k3 pro (android hybrid with dvb t2/ s2).

K2 is a cheap & gd box. Overheating is common for these cheap boxes but working well for 1 year plus already as long as you place in a well ventilated area. Been using this in my mom's bed rm, pq and tuner are excellent.. better than k3 pro (android hybrid). Its true what the guys here are saying.. the remote does lag and the chinese sub may not work ( did not check since not using it). Bottom line that its cheap and does its purpose if you can live with a couple of trade-offs.

K3 pro is a good android box and a decent dvb t2 if you rate them separately. I did flash with custom rom to get the full performance out ofthis box. There was some issue audio of of sync for dvb t2 signals but that was fix on the latest firmware if im not wrong. Neverthless, the hdmi output died on me during one thunderstorm afternoon and i did not follow up their latest development . If i compare its pq and tuner, K3 pro pq is not as sharp as K2 standalone, not a big difference though. K3 pro tuner is also too sensitive to emf. It could be the usual hdmi vs rf issue again, but that is just my take after meddling with these 2 boxes. If you got a dvb t2 signal that is marginal and alot of emf around your tv console, k3 pro will probably struggle to get that marginal signal with a lot of fluctuations. K2 though seems to capture that signal and stabilize. And k3 pro does seems to get hot after awhile. Its also quite expensive at usd$100++ but then again u get good spec android box with dvb c/ t/ t2/ s2. Its a killer combo but its a shame it died on me.

My point is that expensive doesnt always mean its gd. Go with ur needs and budget

Just to add on my recent experience on K2 and Freesat GTT. I got the GTT set first and the picture quality is good while it hooked up to cable using DVB-C. It won't work on cheap passive antenna but ok on Daiyo USB power antenna. Too bad, GTT cannot do scheduled recording as there is no option for it. I have returned this unit. The K2 picture quality is not as good compare to GTT but scheduled recording works. I am not into IPTV, so K2 is fine. In term of DVB-T2 reception, K2 reception is better than GTT. K2 can receive DVB-T2 without power-on to the Daiyo antenna. Cost for K2 $28 without antenna(Carousell) and GTT cost US$62(Aliexpress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.