3d drawing for Interior design, ID or DIY?

Solidus_GZ

Master Member
Reaction score
Guys, i was thinking of DIY my house design as there is really not much to do
only MBR and Living Rm
False Ceiling, electrical Points

I wonder did anyone engage Contractor and ask 3d drawing guys to help you draw the 3d drawings? roughly how much i will be expecting?
or im better off let the ID to handle everything?
Please let me know your comments! Thanks in Advance!

cheeckybummy

Reaction score
Guys, i was thinking of DIY my house design as there is really not much to do
only MBR and Living Rm
False Ceiling, electrical Points

I wonder did anyone engage Contractor and ask 3d drawing guys to help you draw the 3d drawings? roughly how much i will be expecting?
or im better off let the ID to handle everything?
Please let me know your comments! Thanks in Advance!

You can go renotalk and they will help you find ID to do it one lo, no need so troublesome haha, I also went through my renovation with them

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The drawings are essentially to confirm what you have in mind, and what the designer is trying to do for your place is in sync. You can do it on your own, but to be honest, there is not much you can save by doing it on your own. Some ID even say that they do the 3D drawing for "free" if you confirm with them.

After going through 3 renovations, I realized that ID business is good because there is no fixed way of charging their customers. Its like buying economic rice last time where they don't clearly state the price of each item. You feel that you managed to save 100 or 200 here and there, but the ID can charge you back from some other cost. You cut too much, you may end up with crappie quality. Ultimately, if you look around the showroom and the quality looks good, the price is within your budget, and the ID looks like someone you can get along with, then I am cool to engage their work. The results may not always be close to what you have in mind, but as long as it does not deviate too much, it is still acceptable for me at least.

Solidus_GZ

Master Member
Reaction score
You can go renotalk and they will help you find ID to do it one lo, no need so troublesome haha, I also went through my renovation with them
Renotalk I think the review too biases already, sometime it seem like ownself praise ownself.
As for me I just need to see the 3d to see if the color combination is correct or not. I do went to some famous id, seem like small jobs like mine 10-15k they not very keen.
Either they brush me off with high quote or never get back to me.

So far I short list js carpentry and pine carpentry, Shoe cabinet plus wall feature only set me back 2-3k plus.
The rest will be false ceiling + electrican and painter.

Kaylin

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my contractor did a "3D" drawing using sketchup. essentially its 3D but just the diagram of the cabinets without the bells & whistles such as full color, decoration or whatever. you can actually engage a 3rd party drafter to do it if your contractor doesnt provide.

renotalk has genuine homeowners, you just need to know how to spot them. real homeowners will take you through the whole process from flat selection to bare unit to material selection and then the actual reno. whereas IDs who pose as homeowners simply start the thread by posting reno pics, which is a dead giveaway la.

whether or not to let your renovator handle everything depends on how fussy or chin chye you are. for me im quite anal when it comes to certain things so i make sure to visit my unit once everyday or every other day. everyone has different definition of whats acceptable. if i let my contractor handle the project totally he will just accept everything his subcons do.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.