AFTERSHOCK PC - Now featuring Nvidia 10 series graphics cards!

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But does the newer kaby lake CPU have better power management than the previous thus the better battery life?

Sent from Google PIXEL 2 XL using GAGT

I doubt so. To be honest, Sky Lake, Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake are one and the same design differentiated by minor changes, including a slightly improved 14nm fab. Performance improvement is basically 0 if you are comparing these 3 processors at the same clockspeed. Performance improvement comes in the form of more aggressive clockspeed over the generations. I doubt you will find that the new processors will give you better battery life at load because Intel has been pushing the CPUs harder, thus, nullifying any improvements in thermal and power requirement.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why does their support website suck so much?

http://aftershockpcsupport.com/

Still under construction? Drivers for more than half the models don't even exist. Those that do you need to download the ENTIRE package in one big zip file. God forbid you only need one small motherboard driver and your driver disc is missing. :s22::s22::s22:

Take a look at Acer, HP and Dell support website to see how they do things ffs.

Are you using Windows 10 or older? Nowadays, I don't really need to bother about drivers when using Windows 10. Generally, I only download drivers for GPU and devices with no drivers, which is usually quite little and less crucial. Motherboard drivers should be included with Windows 10.

goldnut

Master Member
Reaction score
Are you using Windows 10 or older? Nowadays, I don't really need to bother about drivers when using Windows 10. Generally, I only download drivers for GPU and devices with no drivers, which is usually quite little and less crucial. Motherboard drivers should be included with Windows 10.

I'm more worried about users of Win 8. And anyway, it looks unprofessional as hell. You click on a link and get taken to a black screen. What if you need a bios update?

edit : Will you look at that. 1 hour after my first post and the drivers for notebook magically came back. Desktop driver page is still blank though.

Last edited:

razorlala

Banned
Reaction score

as much as windows is improving their drivers support and universality, many pc/laptop still require their own drivers.

chiaRH

Reaction score
Why does their support website suck so much?

http://aftershockpcsupport.com/

Still under construction? Drivers for more than half the models don't even exist. Those that do you need to download the ENTIRE package in one big zip file. God forbid you only need one small motherboard driver and your driver disc is missing. :s22::s22::s22:

Take a look at Acer, HP and Dell support website to see how they do things ffs.

imo thats why i dont really get my drivers from aftershock site

dont even need to look at big brands like Acer or HP

any other custom system builder like sager can be referred to

i can find my laptop drivers on sager site they even have a search function where you can type the sager model name, or its clevo SKU name
https://www.sagernotebook.com/drivers.php?cat=649

meanwhile looks like the W-15 got refreshed, going over from the old P750 to N950, think the main sacrifice is MXM GPU, hence being stuck with a 1060 on the new one with no customisation

Last edited:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm more worried about users of Win 8. And anyway, it looks unprofessional as hell. You click on a link and get taken to a black screen. What if you need a bios update?

edit : Will you look at that. 1 hour after my first post and the drivers for notebook magically came back. Desktop driver page is still blank though.

I agree. But if you look at other manufacturers, they don't update the drivers after sometime when the newer model arrives.

Not defending them because I was also looking for drivers earlier and did not find any on their site. But when I stop to think about it, I feel it is better to go download your own drivers because outdated drivers can cause more problems with newer version of Windows. Even Win 8 still receives updates that may cause stability issues with older drivers.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
as much as windows is improving their drivers support and universality, many pc/laptop still require their own drivers.

I can confidently say that if you are using Windows 10, you can be sure the critical drivers are already being addressed by the OS. For me, I will only install driver for graphic card if it is a dedicated one from AMD/ Nvidia. There may be some random non-critical devices that still require drivers, but they are not show stoppers for us to use our comp. Only annoying one for me is the pointing device, i.e. the touchpad driver where I cannot use the multi finger gesture without driver.

AWholeNewWorld

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What are the thoughts of S-17R, W-17S, MX-17 Elite, MX-17 Pro?

Saw a lot of people talking about all 15Series.

i'm planning to buy a laptop (mostly for gaming, but requires a certain portability, does the only choice is laptops. Not looking at Titan as it's >4.9kg)

game goondu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
guys... need some comment on aftershock...

looking specific at mx15 elite.

i also looking at other laptop. eg. dell 7567, asus fx502, acer.
key specs i looking at 256 ssd. 128 ssd seems like too small for....
gfx 1050 or 1050 ti better.
8gb ram. understand 16gb not really worth the additional $$$
lan port.

1. what is the battery size of the mx15 elite?
2. the other thing drawn to aftershock is that i can choose to upgrade to samsung 850 evo. understand that 850 is one of the better ssd out there. other company laptop uses other ssd. eg. asus using SK hynix.
the question is not sure how much it affect real life uses are the difference actually cannot be observe from day to day usage.
3. and for 250gb samsung ssd, it is worth to pay $50 more for the NVMe ssd version? same question on day to day usage
4. wifi bluetooth. diff between intel ac3168 to ac8265 ($15 more, worth it?)

hope some bro can help with the above questions.

chiaRH

Reaction score
the question is not sure how much it affect real life uses are the difference actually cannot be observe from day to day usage.
3. and for 250gb samsung ssd, it is worth to pay $50 more for the NVMe ssd version? same question on day to day usage

What kind of workload do your day to day usage consist of?

They say NVME speed is like 5 to 7 times faster than SATA but if your workload is casual stuff and not dealing with large amount of data transfer (eg. photographers who always need to offload a ton of pics and videos here and there), the difference is trivial

game goondu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What kind of workload do your day to day usage consist of?

They say NVME speed is like 5 to 7 times faster than SATA but if your workload is casual stuff and not dealing with large amount of data transfer (eg. photographers who always need to offload a ton of pics and videos here and there), the difference is trivial

so normal users like me that pak games and surf net, watch video should not observe the diff?
ppl that does a lot of big picture photoshop, video editing benefit the most from the ssd and NVMe speed diff?

so conclusion is not worth paying the additional $50 for NVMe.

what about other SSD compare to samsung 850 evo?
any idea?

chiaRH

Reaction score
any idea?

it is pointless to consider other options because

- Aftershock doesnt offer them on its website. You dont see western digital, crucial, kingston etc on the SSD choices list for laptop config. Even you want another brand you have to source for it yourself aftershock wont get for you, thats not how they work.

- With a casual workload, arguably any SSD on the market can get the job done with minimal difference.

if you look at when HWZ last time reviewed the 850
http://assets.hardwarezone.com/img/2015/01/crystal_seq.gif

relative to the competition, arguably the performance of alternative competitors is fairly similar so I think don't really need to consider alternative brands.

in general the components that aftershock offer are quite reliable enough

Last edited:

runforyourlife

Reaction score
Hmm now the prime15 don't seem to have the option to customise the color for the front panel?

game goondu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it is pointless to consider other options because

- Aftershock doesnt offer them on its website. You dont see western digital, crucial, kingston etc on the SSD choices list for laptop config. Even you want another brand you have to source for it yourself aftershock wont get for you, thats not how they work.

- With a casual workload, arguably any SSD on the market can get the job done with minimal difference.

if you look at when HWZ last time reviewed the 850
http://assets.hardwarezone.com/img/2015/01/crystal_seq.gif

relative to the competition, arguably the performance of alternative competitors is fairly similar so I think don't really need to consider alternative brands.

in general the components that aftershock offer are quite reliable enough

what i meant is aftershock offer samsung 850 evo ssd. other brand have other ssd. eg. asus uses sk hynix... i saw review that samsung 850 beats the sk hynix in all department...

but from what you mentioned, seems like whether its samsung or other brand of ssd, the difference is also not big in real world application.

game goondu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
was eyeing the dell 7567 at 1899.

now considering the mx15 elite.
upgrade the ssd to 250gb samsung evo.
upgrade the wifi chip.

cheaper than 1899.

now have to see any discount during the march pc show...

endlssorrow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does M15 good enough more than enough to play dota2 counterstike D3 etc similar games ? Also will be using ms application which I believe it use not much ram and then some editing of photo with adobe .

cct75

Master Member
Reaction score
Dear Aftershock and Fellow Experts,

Just want to check am I right there is no USB external case/connectors for the M.2 PCIE SSD at the moment? Just checking as one of my friend's laptop with such SSD is not booting up so wondering possible to use it (should it still be working) via external USB HDD.

Many Thanks & Warmest Regards,
CT.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so normal users like me that pak games and surf net, watch video should not observe the diff?
ppl that does a lot of big picture photoshop, video editing benefit the most from the ssd and NVMe speed diff?

so conclusion is not worth paying the additional $50 for NVMe.

any idea?

If you ask me, NVMe SSD is not something necessary. Almost all NVMe SSDs out there shows an incredible transfer rate, but in our day to day usage this does not translate to anything tangible. Perhaps only servers will find use with these high transfer rates. The only SSD that made an improvement is Intel's XPoint, which cost a bomb and uses too much power. The humble Samsung 850/860 Evo is good enough for most users.

Personally, I am using a Samsung 960 Evo from my tablet which I don't find it any quicker as compared to my Samsung 850 Pro and Evo.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
was eyeing the dell 7567 at 1899.

now considering the mx15 elite.
upgrade the ssd to 250gb samsung evo.
upgrade the wifi chip.

cheaper than 1899.

now have to see any discount during the march pc show...

Do you need to get your laptop urgently? With the Coffee Lake 6 cores mobile processor due this year, I feel it may be worth the wait. Especially the fact that gaming laptops in particular are not cheap, and yet the moment you purchase it, it depreciates like crazy.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear Aftershock and Fellow Experts,

Just want to check am I right there is no USB external case/connectors for the M.2 PCIE SSD at the moment? Just checking as one of my friend's laptop with such SSD is not booting up so wondering possible to use it (should it still be working) via external USB HDD.

Many Thanks & Warmest Regards,
CT.
If you go to the likes of Lazada, you will find a lot of sellers for this. But a word of caution, M.2 is a confusing connection. There's B key, M key, etc. So you need to get one that supports the model of your SSD. I don't recommend spending too much on it because you can't seem to be sure if it is the SSD that is not working or not.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...e-interface-that-will-speed-up-your-next-ssd/

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.