Question on KEF Active speakers

rufity

Reaction score
This thread should be called KEF LS50W instead of KEF active speakers lol.

Anyway, I was thinking to get a LS50 with amp probably to save money but there's a risk that the amp is not able to bring out the passive's full potential. Besides, LS50W is using Cat6 cable so this would save the time and trouble and $$$ on speaker cables as well. Considering a good amp with cables to pair up with LS50, the price might not differ much..

To all LS50W owners, any significant issues with the speakers so far? Many are complaining about the app AFAIK.

Amon86

Reaction score

Anyway, I was thinking to get a LS50 with amp probably to save money but there's a risk that the amp is not able to bring out the passive's full potential. Besides, LS50W is using Cat6 cable so this would save the time and trouble and $$$ on speaker cables as well. Considering a good amp with cables to pair up with LS50, the price might not differ much..

To all LS50W owners, any significant issues with the speakers so far? Many are complaining about the app AFAIK.

About the amp to use on LS50 for the LS50W internal using class D one if looking for similar amp to drive....amp like Cyrus one which is class D as well and quite cheap in terms of pricing or higher price rega elex-r already have the potential of driving it

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tweeter is class AB woofer is class D, in this case how?

Amon86

Reaction score
Tweeter is class AB woofer is class D, in this case how?

If you want class A's clarity and transparent and class D's power efficiency...sound use Cambridge Audio 851W power amp is a combine of A and AB = XD but u might need a preamp to control volume

just take noted the unit is very hot after 15 mins as it works like a class A

But so far cyrus is one of the good one so as Classe as they custom made their own class D not oem from other company

as bad Class D amp tends to have a lot of noise

Last edited:

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Those reviews are old. There’s been a few updates that have fixed many of them the past year. Use it without much issues. Interface could be better, but hey, if you want nice then pay $900 for Roon

forests_gump

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Active Speakers - are "end-to-end" solution ~ just plug in the power cord, play the source, enjoy the music ~ as long as it last.

Passive Speakers + Amplifier + ... heading toward customization/DIY.

DIY advantage not likely cost, instead:- flexibility, accurate finer audio and quality for your $ if you have patience to do your research & willing to learn.

Cat6 as speaker cables? no-thank-you :D
(Unless several conductors twist together to get 14AWG - not that it is better, but it sure save $)

Amon86

Reaction score
Active Speakers - are "end-to-end" solution ~ just plug in the power cord, play the source, enjoy the music ~ as long as it last.

Passive Speakers + Amplifier + ... heading toward customization/DIY.

DIY advantage not likely cost, instead:- flexibility, accurate finer audio and quality for your $ if you have patience to do your research & willing to learn.

Cat6 as speaker cables? no-thank-you :D
(Unless several conductors twist together to get 14AWG - not that it is better, but it sure save $)

It all come to this for maintenance wise amp + speaker last longer due to separate...as for active speaker's component like circuit board share the speaker driver's magnet maybe cause abit of interference within dac? and power circuit within will run kinda hot internal running for long hours of playback

bad about amp + speaker is you would spent more money to customize to your sound that you like change speaker cable,interconnector rca, amp or dac to tune the signature you like

good about active> all in a box solution save space, no need customize will sound the same with another person owning it so no need to compare sound can change sound for better by good power cord or power condition max

forests_gump

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
...bad about amp + speaker is you would spent more money to customize to your sound that you like change speaker cable,interconnector rca, amp or dac to tune the signature you like

What was mention are actually costed into active speaker (no free lunch).
-- Yes active speaker may be cheaper individual elements, does it mean using compromised components?

Also: interconnector rca, dac is costly issue due to digital back-to path are more prone to introduce sound coloration.

Have you consider this:
Ever noticed music source of last 30yr already mainly digital, last 10yrs network music, last 5 yrs are internet streaming.

digital source -> Active Speaker 【dac (analog)-> pwm -> (Class D amp) -> Speaker (analog) 】

What if:
For: full digital path integrated amp+ speaker (analog).
(no DAC, no interconnector RCA).

digital source -> I2S -> (Class D amp) -> Passive Speaker【】

Furthermore: full digital path value-add lossless, noiseless, Hi-res and music network & internet streaming.

Last edited:

Amon86

Reaction score
What was mention are actually costed into active speaker (no free lunch).
-- Yes active speaker may be cheaper individual elements, does it mean using compromised components?

Also: interconnector rca, dac is costly issue due to digital back-to path are more prone to introduce sound coloration.

Have you consider this:
Ever noticed music source of last 30yr already mainly digital, last 10yrs network music, last 5 yrs are internet streaming.

digital source -> Active Speaker 【dac (analog)-> pwm -> (Class D amp) -> Speaker (analog) 】

What if:
For: full digital path integrated amp+ speaker (analog).
(no DAC, no interconnector RCA).

digital source -> I2S -> (Class D amp) -> Passive Speaker【】

Furthermore: full digital path value-add lossless, noiseless, Hi-res and music network & internet streaming.

Anyways you believe which one suit you best not saying that active is bad....in the end of the day you got the sound that you paid for... happy with it that's more important...anyways i beileve in separate and will stick to it....

rufity

Reaction score
Those reviews are old. There’s been a few updates that have fixed many of them the past year. Use it without much issues. Interface could be better, but hey, if you want nice then pay $900 for Roon

Hoot the LS50W already.. waiting for delivery. What color did you choose? What are you using for the speaker stands?

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hoot the LS50W already.. waiting for delivery. What color did you choose? What are you using for the speaker stands?

Delivery? You didn’t get at KEF Adelphi? I just paid and brought back home on the same day

Mine are in grey and I’m using the Atacama Nexus filled with Atabites and sand

Anyway, congrats on the purchase. They’re great speakers and I’m sure you will enjoy them!

rufity

Reaction score
Delivery? You didn’t get at KEF Adelphi? I just paid and brought back home on the same day

Mine are in grey and I’m using the Atacama Nexus filled with Atabites and sand

Anyway, congrats on the purchase. They’re great speakers and I’m sure you will enjoy them!

I intend to put them up on my computer desk. I'm looking at Isoacoustics Aperta. I bought the speakers online though.. brought in and warranty by Ban Leong.

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I intend to put them up on my computer desk. I'm looking at Isoacoustics Aperta. I bought the speakers online though.. brought in and warranty by Ban Leong.

OK, if desk then the Isoacoustics seem to be a popular choice. Don't think you can go wrong with those :)

forests_gump

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
...not saying that active is bad...

haha...like this statement you made. :s13:

Money made on Hifi audio scene are by cutting corners (eg. some active-speakers), and keeping legacy support for convenience (keep analog path - DAC, interconnect etc)

personally: felt IF using digital music source, THEN full digital path + passive speaker make "more" audiophile sense (though any speakers by nature tend to be analog)

Any show of hands if you are on Analog or Digital music source?

Last edited:

Amon86

Reaction score
haha...like this statement you made. :s13:

Money made on Hifi audio scene are by cutting corners (eg. some active-speakers), and keeping legacy support for convenience (keep analog path - DAC, interconnect etc)

personally: felt IF using digital music source, THEN full digital path + passive speaker make "more" audiophile sense (though any speakers by nature tend to be analog)

Any show of hands if you are on Analog or Digital music source?

There are good active ones like devialet gold phantom pair those were great ones very powerful and can sound very loud without distortion and the cabinet use are vibration free but only able to play through streaming no external input ...both units add up around 9k demo them before surprise that it sounded quite good

In this debate of passive vs active...people with active will always say theirs is good...for ppl that plays passive will also think theirs is good it all comes down to own preferences...i do own some active speakers on my desktop before but i switch to passive, due to repair active ones is not cheap my kef x300aw spoil the right channel with the main board the back circuit board spoil repair is $480.00 and takes 3-4 weeks time come back same issue then sent back again second time they change my whole unit in the end...so i gave them to my sis use after i setup my passive system using existing ls50...i also got MM1 from bowers those i got no issue for years but due to upgrade i gave them to my mum...

For separate I think is more durable as well as I got used before Denon PMA 250SE amp that amp already 20 years old use with my old wharfedale speakers (which i sold off) still working fine i did manage to sold off both the person brought it still happy with it

Last edited:

forests_gump

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yep... definite there are some really good active speakers.

Key question is -- many people buy active speaker with an objective in mind ~ cost becomes biggest priority, ie. to be cheaper than separates (dac+opamp/amp+passive speaker) - of-course you will manufacturer serves this demand well - cutting corners.

Furthermore: most if not ALL Active Speakers design uses Class D amp (which 1# takes an analog signal ~ say from Laptop/Mobile headphone/DVD player RCA, converts it to PWM, amplifies it, and converts back to analog at the output; or which surprises me:

Why today music lovers din consider direct digital amplification (ie. Full digital path), ie. amplifier that takes a digital signal (SPDIF/PCM - a square wave) converts it to PWM (another square wave), amplifies it, and converts it to analog at the output --- my presumption since the large majority of today music lovers are already having digital music source (mp3,wav,DSD,network,internet streaming) to begin with! Of-course there are remnants of analog music source lovers - Vinyl records paired up with Class A/AB amps -- good for them -- full analog path (dont mind slightly more measures for audiophile reasons)

Note: Network active speaker does makes sense - such as Sonos, etc. I presume it would be foolish if they dint use direct digital amplification, since they are design with internet streaming in mind.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.