Univeristy Of Wollongong (SIM) future/current/students come in!!!

FatalityV

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This may sound stupid. But what laptop should I buy to meet the daily needs of lesson? I still have my 2013 poly laptop with me, but i scare cannot support the school's softwares.
My budget about $1500

Cheers.

Year 1's C++ compiler is a compiler that was released in 2005, although I heard they're shifting the y1 curriculum to java. Not sure what UOW uses for java, Im guessing netbeans?

For year 1 at least should be safe lah :)

Im using an asus laptop I bought for 1.1. Not exactly top of the line. Partition 150gb win, 50gb arch 50gb fedora. More than enough :)

Audiology93

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This may sound stupid. But what laptop should I buy to meet the daily needs of lesson? I still have my 2013 poly laptop with me, but i scare cannot support the school's softwares.
My budget about $1500

Cheers.
Year 1's C++ compiler is a compiler that was released in 2005, although I heard they're shifting the y1 curriculum to java. Not sure what UOW uses for java, Im guessing netbeans?

For year 1 at least should be safe lah :)

Im using an asus laptop I bought for 1.1. Not exactly top of the line. Partition 150gb win, 50gb arch 50gb fedora. More than enough :)
Year 1 C++ uses Quincy 2005. Even my 2010 poly laptop worked on it.
Year 2 C++ uses Linux with pre configured Gedit and for Java, it requires Eclipse. Might need a laptop/desktop to do assignments at home.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI 5 PLUS using GAGT

FatalityV

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Year 1 C++ uses Quincy 2005. Even my 2010 poly laptop worked on it.
Year 2 C++ uses Linux with pre configured Gedit and for Java, it requires Eclipse. Might need a laptop/desktop to do assignments at home.

Is it a must to use gedit? I'd assume that it's preconfigured to use either g++ or gcc with certain compile parameters.

For y2, will c++ std 98 still be taught, or will it be taught in 11 or 14?

senpai4

Master Member
Reaction score
Can use visual studio also for c or c++ . Download a compiler will do to run in cmd

Audiology93

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it a must to use gedit? I'd assume that it's preconfigured to use either g++ or gcc with certain compile parameters.

For y2, will c++ std 98 still be taught, or will it be taught in 11 or 14?
Yep g++ and gcc. You can use other compiler but your code will be marked using Linux with g++/gcc so it's better to test it 1st before submission as my friend who used visual studio had issue with running the code on Linux unless he change some part of the code when compiling.

yizhimei

Reaction score
Looking at PSB academy & UOW.
For PSB, I have to go for their 9mths diploma because I do have the relevant IT background.
Any recommendation?

yizhimei

Reaction score
Does this uni send you overseas study and send you to company for intern?
Future career prospects good?

FatalityV

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Business Information Systems, DSS or big data. which got lesser programming :(

I think that BIS will have lesser, but still need to do programming, based on what my friends in BIS tell me

Why do a BCs if you don't enjoy programming though?

CS not all about coding, but at some point or other still have to touch one ma.

Plow98

Banned
Reaction score
I think that BIS will have lesser, but still need to do programming, based on what my friends in BIS tell me

Why do a BCs if you don't enjoy programming though?

CS not all about coding, but at some point or other still have to touch one ma.

You're right. If coding is not your love, then computing is clearing not for you. Please do something else.

It is like learning Chinese Culture without a love / knowledge of the Chinese (Mandarin) Language. At best, you are scratching the surface of the subject but will never be there amongst the connoisseurs. Why 'short change' yourself at an early age ?

Amituofo

FatalityV

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
have overseas exchange?

Actually theres a new curriculum being implemented from next intake onwards leh. I havent attended the briefing for it so I dont really know what its about. So the people here may not give you accurate answers also with regards to subject scope.

I only know the old intro mods, 114 and 124 (C++) will no longer be offered, will move to 115 and 125 instead (Java I think)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.