Choa chu kang hdb flats price breaks one year low

NewInvestor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just wait and see, government is creating segregated market for HDB and condo.

HDB put a lot of restrictions for PRs, cannot lease whole flat, both must be 3 years PR. These measures cut down demand for resale flats successfully and put a lot of downward pressure on Hdb flats price.

On the other hand, from what I obeserve so far, small condos especially those in more accessible areas, have been going up and up.

I could be wrong, but I think the government is moving in correct direction. Push out a lot of new btos, mass increase in Hdb flats, cut down demand for Hdb flats and decrease price for Hdb flats successively. Thumbs up for the government. Now youngsters can own flats with more affordable prices

I agree. The only way forward for the govt is to create a 2 tier market. Flood the market with cheap hdb flats to keep resale hdb flats cheap. That is not going to affect CCR prices. Good luck to OCR properties.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@mummy1234 huat like mad for her Mickey Mouse unit at sims avenue.
Really luck very good. Very very good. :)

I really :s13:

The data are out in my thread.

Some who bought Mickey Mouse units recently are sitting on capital losses.

In the long term, rate of appreciation is close or slightly higher than rate of inflation.

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Look at how her condo performed in recent years before you comment. Superb rental yield and reasonable capital gain in a relatively bearish market.

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am not so worried for freehold condos with high rental demand actually.

I agree. The only way forward for the govt is to create a 2 tier market. Flood the market with cheap hdb flats to keep resale hdb flats cheap. That is not going to affect CCR prices. Good luck to OCR properties.

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those who are interested, mummy's condo name is smart suites.
Current tenanted out at 2100 sgd per month, 2 rooms, 498 sqft. Correct me if I remembered wrongly.

NewInvestor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those who are interested, mummy's condo name is smart suites.
Current tenanted out at 2100 sgd per month, 2 rooms, 498 sqft. Correct me if I remembered wrongly.

Mummy has clearly done well. Mike's data just state the average across Spore. Specific locations and units could easily outperform or underperform Mike's data.

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I LOL at people who laughed at mummy last time, mummy's properties capital gain gao gao for the past few years.

Mummy has clearly done well. Mike's data just state the average across Spore. Specific locations and units could easily outperform or underperform Mike's data.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Yes. So there is no absolute guarantee that buying properties will give good returns.

Timing and luck play important roles.

I am not sure what is the purpose of this thread.

CCK flats hitting 1 year low. So what residences there should do? Cut loss and find another unit?

If the implication is all other HDB prices are likely to do go down, then what? Sell their units?

The bigger picture is if HDB prices are going down, private property prices cannot diverge too much. Otherwise, government must step in to stop the divergent. Or private property prices are likely to go down as well.

If you are entitled, applying for BTO is a no brainier. With government subsidies, at least your purchase has some margin of safety.

NewInvestor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes. So there is no absolute guarantee that buying properties will give good returns.

Timing and luck play important roles.

I am not sure what is the purpose of this thread.

CCK flats hitting 1 year low. So what residences there should do? Cut loss and find another unit?

If the implication is all other HDB prices are likely to do go down, then what? Sell their units?

The bigger picture is if HDB prices are going down, private property prices cannot diverge too much. Otherwise, government must step in to stop the divergent. Or private property prices are likely to go down as well.

If you are entitled, applying for BTO is a no brainier. With government subsidies, at least your purchase has some margin of safety.

I never said there is a guarantee. Property investment requires skill and years of experience. Best that people don't touch it if they are not prepared to spend time and effort to acquire skill.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I never said there is a guarantee. Property investment requires skill and years of experience. Best that people don't touch it if they are not prepared to spend time and effort to acquire skill.

I didn't quote your guarantee. =:p

But our property guru with 30 years of experience said buying a private property is the best investment for the average.

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Say until as if there is no need for you to return the grant should you sell your bto. :)

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you look at it in another way, the grant essentially acts like a loan to yourself.

Come on yyhwin. You are not entitled to the grant. So just suck thumb. :D

Don't need to give the impression that these grants are not worth it.

Paying a subsidised BTO. Or buying a premium private property without subsidy.

Smaller cash outlay or bigger cash outlay NOW.

Both considerations will potentially give similar rate of returns.

Which one is a better choice?

It is really a no brainer.

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I feel perfectly okay about it actually. :)

Come on yyhwin. You are not entitled to the grant. So just suck thumb. :D

Don't need to give the impression that these grants are not worth it.

Paying a subsidised BTO. Or buying a premium private property without subsidy.

Smaller cash outlay or bigger cash outlay NOW.

Both considerations will potentially give similar rate of returns.

Which one is a better choice?

It is really a no brainer.

Opps-gal

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
By right all 99year leasehold should drop 1% per year but offset with appreciation due to inflation.

However, there will be inflection point where inflation wont be able to offset anymore due to additional restriction kicked off:
- >30-40 years old unit where bank wont give 80% loan
- Any other govt/market news: wont en bloc/SERS anymore

Anymore to add?

Will people pay more for a 93 year lease left hdb or 99 year lease bto? Still feel the 99 year lease property for own stay is a liability, unless rent out.

Opps-gal

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Say until as if there is no need for you to return the grant should you sell your bto. :)

Maybe could sell higher than the bto price, but then lease is lesser, will people willing to pay a higher price?

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe could sell higher than the bto price, but then lease is lesser, will people willing to pay a higher price?

I give you an example:
You buy BTO at isolated location in year 2013, your flat ready in year 2016, then MOP 2021. Given the price trend now, I predicted a further fall in HDB prices especially those in more isolated locations. When your flat is ready to sell in year 2021, you find out government is building even more BTOs in isolated locations and your flats need to compete with other old flats that are closer to MRT.

Unless you are very lucky to get BTOs in more centralised locations, if not, most likely HDB will put even more restrictions on flats.

In my opinion, if really very lucky to get BTOs in central locations, definitely go for it. Those isolated areas, perhaps just give it a miss.
Getting BTOs in central locations are like strike lottery, just keep trying until you get them, but how many years can you waste?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.