Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
but is it possible? to download OAD

Since you're from Africa, this doesn't apply to you. AFAIK, the only local broadcaster (Mediacorp) doesn't do OTA programming.

Isn't OTA (Over The Air) and OAD (Over the Air Download) refer to the same thing?

ceejay80s

Reaction score
K2 and other generic STB have more or less similar features but may have different firmware due to chipset used and localization.

Seller are not manufacturer of the STB but they have access to them for technical support. Email the seller and request for software upgrade.
bought mine through an online shop jumia.com and they too bought it from china because it took almost a month before i recieved it, let me get you right........are you saying that all k2 dvbt2 stb arent same software?
i know 2018 model that has digital clock face, but the rest old k2 models should be same and should have same firmware file

Last edited:

ceejay80s

Reaction score
Since you're from Africa, this doesn't apply to you. AFAIK, the only local broadcaster (Mediacorp) doesn't do OTA programming.

Isn't OTA (Over The Air) and OAD (Over the Air Download) refer to the same thing?
are u saying OTA or OAD not possible? even in other countries?

ceejay80s

Reaction score
most of the channels on my k2 is scrambled, just 2 or 3 that is unscrambled , is there a way i can unscramble all channels with a software or unscrambler?
if its possible ,please tell me how, and if i cant unscramble, can i subscribe to those scrambled channels?

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bought mine through an online shop jumia.com and they too bought it from china because it took almost a month before i recieved it, let me get you right........are you saying that all k2 dvbt2 stb arent same software?
i know 2018 model that has digital clock face, but the rest old k2 models should be same and should have same firmware file

Yes, I stated earlier, this could be for localization to support more/different languages and tuning profile. The same K2 model could also have slight variation in PCB built as what you mentioned.

So far, I came across K2 model with software label as "GHANA" and "SINGAPORE" as well as different firmware date. If I not wrong the latest K2 batch will not work with older K2 model as the HW version is different.

BTW, list your STB System Info.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
are u saying OTA or OAD not possible? even in other countries?

The STB come with this feature so functionality wise it should work. I think only those TV broadcaster that issue the STB as part of their services would made use of software programming via OTA/OAD.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
most of the channels on my k2 is scrambled, just 2 or 3 that is unscrambled , is there a way i can unscramble all channels with a software or unscrambler?
if its possible ,please tell me how, and if i cant unscramble, can i subscribe to those scrambled channels?

K2 is just a simple DVB-T2 tuner box, it is not built for this purposes.

I'm afraid you came to the wrong forum site if this is truly your intention. :eek:

ceejay80s

Reaction score
Yes, I stated earlier, this could be for localization to support more/different languages and tuning profile. The same K2 model could also have slight variation in PCB built as what you mentioned.

So far, I came across K2 model with software label as "GHANA" and "SINGAPORE" as well as different firmware date. If I not wrong the latest K2 batch will not work with older K2 model as the HW version is different.

BTW, list your STB System Info.

MODEL:
GHANA
SW:20170512V5.0
HW
VERSION:7T01836650

oho

Reaction score
I am using those dvbT2 external boxes.
Both boxes (different brands) do not have English subtitles for 7 PM Korean show on CH U, whereas the Analogue CH U has English subtitles.
Is it because my dvbt2 boxes are out of date?
Thanks

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
CANT THE K2 DVBT2 FIRMWARE BE DOWNGRADED TO A LOWER VERSION FIRMWARE?
like my bluray dvd player, i can downgrade and upgrade the firmware

Of course it's possible. The thing is, without having a copy of the current firmware, you're basically stuck with the lower version!

dexter9898

Reaction score
I am using those dvbT2 external boxes.
Both boxes (different brands) do not have English subtitles for 7 PM Korean show on CH U, whereas the Analogue CH U has English subtitles.
Is it because my dvbt2 boxes are out of date?
Thanks

You have to trigger the subtitles to display from your set-top box as they are hard-burned like analogue feed.

dexter9898

Reaction score
It has been postponed twice already. Won't be surprised it is postponed again. Still long, 10 more months to go. Can wait until December 2018 then buy.

Won't postponed already as the date is announced in Parliament in Nov 2017. The previous date was a target by IMDA, but the pick-up rate for low-income families to convert to digital TV is slow.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
OTA is possible and the set-top box supplier is willing to pay Mediacorp to do it. :s13: $$$$$

Not applicable to ceejay80s since he is not local.

Even if this is available here, I don't see why one would want to risk bricking their STB by doing firmware upgrading via this method!

ceejay80s

Reaction score
Not applicable to ceejay80s since he is not local.

Even if this is available here, I don't see why one would want to risk bricking their STB by doing firmware upgrading via this method!

firmware upgrade doesnt always brick an appliance, I have been upgrading my nokia firmware back in the days "2007", I have upgraded my android TV box firmware a couple of times, I have upgraded my led TV firmware 4 times now and I go the firmware from the manufacturer and they were willing to give it out for free, i have upgraded my LG dvd bluray player so many times,
firmware upgrades are improvements to the device and it doesn't brick boxes except u use the wrong software or while updating is taking place , the power goes off

ceejay80s

Reaction score
Of course it's possible. The thing is, without having a copy of the current firmware, you're basically stuck with the lower version!

ok....
why are the firmwares not in website for us to download , I understand that the k2 has series of models but the uploadees can mark a particular firmware to HW version...
for instance: firmware A is for k2 boxes with HW versio....
i hope u get me?

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
firmware upgrade doesnt always brick an appliance, I have been upgrading my nokia firmware back in the days "2007", I have upgraded my android TV box firmware a couple of times, I have upgraded my led TV firmware 4 times now and I go the firmware from the manufacturer and they were willing to give it out for free, i have upgraded my LG dvd bluray player so many times,
firmware upgrades are improvements to the device and it doesn't brick boxes except u use the wrong software or while updating is taking place , the power goes off

I am referring to upgrading via OTA/ODA not the normal method of firmware upgrade. Nobody in his right mind would recommend doing firmware upgrade via wireless connection which is basically the same as OTA.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok....
why are the firmwares not in website for us to download , I understand that the k2 has series of models but the uploadees can mark a particular firmware to HW version...
for instance: firmware A is for k2 boxes with HW versio....
i hope u get me?

No idea, you have to ask your seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.