Securities Lending Program with CDP

JuniorLion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've read some old threads in HWZ, but just want to ask some questions:

1) What are the risks associated with participating in the securities lending program with CDP?

2) Has anyone here who had succeeded in lending? How long did it take for your shares to be loan out?

soneat

Reaction score
I participated for more than a year but never had anything loan out.

beefjerky

Reaction score
Same never loaned out also. Iirc must be 40000 shares or more, or have a certain value before it gets loaned out

soneat

Reaction score
That kind of sucks. What shares did you put out to loan?

Placed an instruction to let all eligible equities (more than 50000 in units or 50000 in value) to participate. In my case, around 7 to 8 counters (banks and Reits) met the criteria. I did ask the same questions in earlier threads but I recall got zero responses.

JuniorLion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Placed an instruction to let all eligible equities (more than 50000 in units or 50000 in value) to participate. In my case, around 7 to 8 counters (banks and Reits) met the criteria. I did ask the same questions in earlier threads but I recall got zero responses.

Was wondering as well.

Maybe the demand to borrow equities is very low. Interest rates charged to borrow is 6%.

MuppeJack

Reaction score
Was wondering as well.

Maybe the demand to borrow equities is very low. Interest rates charged to borrow is 6%.

It's actually not about interest rate I think. I short very often and borrow from brokerage firms/banks instead of CDP.

If you take a look, for common counters like STI constituents and reits, there are so many shares available out there for lending. Chances will be higher if you lend out the not-so-commonly-trade counters I guess.

lzydata

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Digging up this old thread. Has anyone been participating in this? How is your experience?

It seems that the criteria for participating has been lowered from $50k/50k units to $10k/10k units:

5. Is there a minimum quantity or value in eligible securities I must hold before I can start lending out?

Upon registration, you can lend out securities when your holdings meet the following thresholds:

1. for a security priced $1 or below, you must own a minimum of 10,000 units of that security; and
  2. for a security priced more than $1, you must own a minimum of $10,000 in value of that security.

https://www.sgx.com/securities/retail-investor/cdp-faqs

soneat

Reaction score
Digging up this old thread. Has anyone been participating in this? How is your experience?

It seems that the criteria for participating has been lowered from $50k/50k units to $10k/10k units:

5. Is there a minimum quantity or value in eligible securities I must hold before I can start lending out?

Upon registration, you can lend out securities when your holdings meet the following thresholds:

1. for a security priced $1 or below, you must own a minimum of 10,000 units of that security; and
  2. for a security priced more than $1, you must own a minimum of $10,000 in value of that security.

https://www.sgx.com/securities/retail-investor/cdp-faqs
Participated but not much activities. Have more than 15 counters eligible.

IMHO, this is negligible.

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In 2020, my STI ETF and Frasers Centrepoint Trust were loaned out. guess people shorting STI and REITs last year

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.