Tax suggestion: impose capital gains tax on HDB gains when PR sells HDB

Toni90

Reaction score
You think marrying an Italian is crazy? :D

Here are some more (non-crazy) marriage examples:

* Brazil (or have a child out of wedlock with a Brazilian!), plus 1 year of residence
* Spain, plus 1 year of residence
* Portugal, no residence required, but there are language and other requirements
* Ireland, plus 1 year of residence
* Switzerland, some visits there required over a 6 year period
* Belize, plus 1 year of residence
* Serbia, plus brief residence
* Cape Verde, immediate upon application
* Brunei, immediate for wives only
* Iran, immediate for wives only

Some of these countries allow both same and opposite sex couples, such as Ireland.
Eh. U Live in Siingapore or not? Normally have to ROM first to buy BTO. U suggest people to get divorce to get some fake marriage?

IWantFriends

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In for proposals
Keep proposing and still nothing will be done

Sent from my friend using GAGT

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The scenario described upthread is "escaping Singapore," with considerable CPF assets. That'd be older Singaporeans doing that, not younger, by and large.

I'm not suggesting anything except that Singaporeans (and others) are perfectly free to acquire other citizenships if they wish, and there are many, many ways they can do that. I'm also answering the question asked.

fr33d0m

Master Member
Reaction score
Why is birth rate so important? Soon, producing robots will be cheaper than giving birth a baby.

Lack of labor? No problem, just press the button and robots will come off the line.

If really necessary, cloning will not be a problem. Babies born out of lab not a problem, either. Just need some genetic information.

Toni90

Reaction score
The scenario described upthread is "escaping Singapore," with considerable CPF assets. That'd be older Singaporeans doing that, not younger, by and large.

I'm not suggesting anything except that Singaporeans (and others) are perfectly free to acquire other citizenships if they wish, and there are many, many ways they can do that. I'm also answering the question asked.
Don’t u think all that many ways are ridicules?

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don’t u think all that many ways are ridicules?
No, not at all. Every year there are Singaporeans who terminate their citizenships. In fact, many of them are born with multiple citizenships, and the government requires them to choose. Those Singaporeans born as Singaporeans now have some CPF assets, typically — the government’s Medisave top ups, if nothing else.

You asked the question, and I answered it. In the real world, this stuff happens. Singapore’s citizenship law (that doesn’t tolerate multiple citizenships) means it happens rather often. Also, Singaporeans keep marrying foreigners at progressively higher rates. Singaporeans looking for same sex partners (a growing cohort) are particularly highly motivated to marry foreigners because they’re not allowed to marry in Singapore, and they have more rights elsewhere — including adoption rights, for example. Singapore is modern, affluent, and cosmopolitan now. It’s not like it was when our grandparents were born.

Singaporeans terminating (and forced to lose) their citizenships is a growing demographic problem, assuming Singapore wants to maintain its citizen population. South Korea has the same demographic crisis developing and recently changed its citizenship law which previously was hostile to multiple citizenships. Another realistic option would be limited birthright citizenship in Singapore. That is, children born in Singapore (or raised in Singapore from a young age) might be allowed to become Singaporean in expedited fashion at age 18 or 20. If they’ve spent the vast bulk of their childhoods in Singapore, why not? Many countries have this sort of provision in their citizenship laws. The U.S. is debating this very question right now, to decide what to do with the hundreds of thousands of “DREAMers” who were born outside the United States but who were brought to the United States as young children — and who in many cases barely have any awareness of their “home” countries. They are, in every meaningful sense, Americans — but very surprised to learn they aren’t citizens.

Anyway, in my view the government ought to take a fresh look at these questions, about how to reduce citizen attrition. For every Singaporean citizen (and Singaporean “DREAMer,” and stateless child, and same sex spouse) the government keeps and brings into the citizen fold, that’s one fewer citizen they have to “manufacture” in some other way. And such policies would be pro-Singaporean culture, too.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.