Tablet that is suitable for reading ebooks?

Idontknowwhattobuy

Reaction score
I am wondering if the kindle 3 paperwhite or Kobo will be better?
I saw reviews on the kobo with margin problems though.

Is there any workaround for the e-books hosted by overdrive (epub format) for singapore national library board(NLB) to be downloaded to the kindle 3 paperwhite or will kobo e-readers be better for this?

Has anyone tried to borrow ebooks from the NLB using kindle paper white 3 or Kobo. I really want the e-ink screen which makes it more comfortable for reading.

forests_gump

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What you are said basically points to current e-readers dilemma - lock down to single ebook eco-system, is what you will face if you choose ebook hardware made by ebook vendors - no other solution unless non-ebook vendor makes the ebook hardware (open-ended eco-system as i mention eariler).

kpw3 or equivalent (eg. certain kobo) do has better screen readability

u0206397

Reaction score
What about those 7" white box China-made tablet widely available on eBay? Cheap around S$60 including shipping, and you can side-load any Android apps and eBooks in any format you want. Likely there will be an app that can open and read the format you have.

How well these cheap tablets work, how long they last, I do not know.

Battery life probably only 3 to 4 hours, compared to more branded tablets like iPad, Samsung Galaxy, or even Acer and Lenovo tablets that can go 8 to 10 hours.

But basically 7" Amazon Fire is a tablet with similar specs with better quality control. Perhaps you won't be losing out much anyway.

forests_gump

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why E-books reader mostly uses e-ink?
Top criteria in mind are on eye protection for long hours readability;
on top of that - open book ecology for me.

white box China-made/ any brand tablet -
LCD screen fails terribly on the most impt criteria - eye protection. LCD backlight are very bad for eyes, but e-ink does not emit any light, it depends on reflected light from your background environment.

As for batt life -
LCD screen tablets are batt hungry, whereas for e-link screen: For 3 hours reading, boox e-ink only uses 5% batt, daily use only need to charge around every 2 wks.

Last edited:

Moktzec

Reaction score
Hi, just share my 2 month experience for boox.

My is kepler pro, 6inch, 300ppi. 1GRAM, 16GB.

this is android OS 4.04, can install override and borrow ebook from NLB. But the latest Libby is not workable over here.

pdf browsing is slow in loading, this device is not suitable for pdf, even text reflow.

Some lag while i flipping my epub book from library. Eink is soothing to the eye. Browsing the internet with this device is not ideal, very slow in loading, and drain battery fast. The usual battery drain for daily 1hr reading about 2 weeks.

experienced 1 time crash which totally wipe out my database, that mean hardware reset by itself. Reason is unknown, and it took me 2 week to sort out to install overdrive to work with NLB due to DRM issue.

forests_gump

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmm... 2 month and you experience hardware reset, totally wipe out database? my T68+ was bought 1 yr ago, used once awhile, no experience this. Any possibility if wipe out, caused to Overdrive DRM software malfunction?

Compare kepler pro to T68, the e-ink screen improves, while underlying processing ability, performance, features are the same at Android 4.04, 1G ram, also have microsd slot, though T68 8G on-board storage.

Moktzec, kepler pro is screen glass, wonder if more reflective glare compare to kindle?

For those NLB Overdrive usage is a major focus - Overdrive book format is mainly epub and Adobe ADE pdf epub3

Majority (if not all - ie. Boox, Kindle, Kobo, etc) both non-ebook & e-book vendor e-ink hardware reader will perform similarly due to similar processing performance differ only in features & OS - these have suffice performance for reading epub format, but poor to handle large pdf.

For those pdf reading usage is a major focus:
Get LCD tablet having faster processor & larger memory, though you are trade-in speed for not having eye-protection.

Last edited:

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those who want to read graphic novels then at present the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 inch is the best possible model out there... it's super thin, super light and the battery life is super if you dim the screen a little... if you use night mode to read only text, the Super AMOLED screen will use very little power, so battery life won't be much of a concern...

forests_gump

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those who want to read graphic novels then at present the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 inch is the best possible model out there... it's super thin, super light and the battery life is super if you dim the screen a little... if you use night mode to read only text, the Super AMOLED screen will use very little power, so battery life won't be much of a concern...

Rather interesting sharing: what is your batt life reading graphic novels? and what do you estimate is batt life for night mode to read only text?

lemonchan

Reaction score
After reading comment on here, and hands-on actual Kindle sizing, follow-up reviews on few e-book makers such as Kobo, Nook, Sony, PocketBook, Onyx Boox...

My thoughts are:
0# Pace of e-book devices evolution is slow compare to tablets, pricey even for simple - yesterday technology (and device ends-up much larger than its tiny screen).
Only + pts is lighter than tablets.

1# Kindle Paperwhite 3 current having best screen, though 6 inch screen is kinda of small for me. (which is basically the screen-size of Kindles)

2# Kindle, Kobo, Nook... all uses different closed OS system book ecology, to lock you down to use only their book-resource library.

3# Only few e-books are larger than 6 inch, beyond 8 inch the device size seems rather too large for commuting reading and pricey.

So in the end, gotten a Onyx Boox T68ML:
- 6.8 inch - >30% screen space of 6 inch, yet right-size for 1 hand reading during commuting.

- based on Android OS access to Google Play allow cross access to multiple book ecology Kindle, Kobo, etc bookstores. Also support 3rd party e-book format reading.

-Sufficient high resolution dpi, almost as good KPW3, with back-lited.

- Can use MicroSD as expanable storage - upto 32GB.

For Android, get device with at least 1GB Memory, 8GB storage :for App speed, install apps & books storage, 300 dpi. If cost not a issue: I would bought a T76 plus.

Hi. Thanks for the recommendation. Based on your current experience now, will u still recommend this model/brand of ebook reader from warranty, price, capabilities and usage friendliness perspective.
Another query is do u have any idea if there is any shop that sell this brand, so that I can at least have a hand-on, prior to purchase

ksksksks

Reaction score
I think kindle paperwhite still stands out for the quality and price. I just got the 2018 version without ads here. https://s.lazada.sg/s.2crE it is the cheapest I can find.
If want bigger screen can look at oasis but pretty expensive.

Does anyone know where can I find genuine leather case for the all new kindle paperwhite?

draco76x

Reaction score
Last time, I bought a very first generation of Nook's eink e-reader, it about 6 inch. Experience with it was very lousy, can't read pdf well, slow & feels that screen size is too small for me.

Decided to revisit e-ink technology after my Samsung tablet dies & really want to do some serious long reading without straining my eyes.

Last year 2018 dec, I bought one 7.8 inch e-reader from Gearbest after some review, so far so good on this China brand as it perform quite ok. Pdf on e-ink still readable, reading manga quite ok & it can install Android apps.

I wish for a bigger size but the more big size it goes, the more expensive it is.

50309632_10157198349094574_2903762607833874432_n.jpg

lemonchan

Reaction score
Last time, I bought a very first generation of Nook's eink e-reader, it about 6 inch. Experience with it was very lousy, can't read pdf well, slow & feels that screen size is too small for me.

Decided to revisit e-ink technology after my Samsung tablet dies & really want to do some serious long reading without straining my eyes.

Last year 2018 dec, I bought one 7.8 inch e-reader from Gearbest after some review, so far so good on this China brand as it perform quite ok. Pdf on e-ink still readable, reading manga quite ok & it can install Android apps.

I wish for a bigger size but the more big size it goes, the more expensive it is.

50309632_10157198349094574_2903762607833874432_n.jpg

Wau...i thought 7.8 inch is considered quite big liao. Too big difficult to bring around, in my opinion

draco76x

Reaction score
Well, 7.8 inch is not big at all, you can see it just slightly bigger than the manga which I have took a shot in the picture. It's light & very easy to carry around

This product Likebook Mars so far is working great although not as powerful as my Samsung tablet but e-ink screen really can made me read longer without straining my eyes.

Furthermore this have a mirco-sd card, put quite a lot of books & manga into the sdcard for reading offline. Since the OS is Android v6, install some apps for reading online manga also.

This year, they have release their Likebook Mimas T103D 10.3inch Octa-Core, have checked the price & it's expensive, around SGD $470/-. :eek:

Link: https://www.gearbest.com/ebook-reader/pp_009189364737.html?wid=1433363

I actually wants to have a bigger screen about 10inch as my eye sight is getting lousy (Old liao). But the price is too expensive that I can use the price to get a Samsung or Huawei tablet. :(

Likebook Mimas review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQz5a4DXVTU

alanchia67

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Gotten the Onyx Boox Nova Pro 7.8" this week. After updating the firmware and tweaking the apps individually (through optimization option) I am happy with the performance.

furyoo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Gotten the Onyx Boox Nova Pro 7.8" this week. After updating the firmware and tweaking the apps individually (through optimization option) I am happy with the performance.

Where did you get it and for how much? The only Lazada stall selling it seems to have stopped selling.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.