Home Automation Enthusiasts

233mmx

Reaction score
Hello forumers, anyone ever bought from this company called Barracuda before? I've almost had enough with the flies that the kitchen trash attracts overnight, and that it's only me clearing the trash in the morning.Tough being the only person cleaning after the mess of 5 people in the house. Anyone has experience using the in-sink food disposer? Power consumption? Maintenance wise of the device?

https://barracudasg.com/about/

tried reading the articles on the website. although it sounds logical to reduce trash, but is it ideal to transfer the waste load to our wastewater which also requires energy to treat and recycle as NEWater? Not sure how PUB and NEA will view this. These are my views and strictly for discussion only.

shacboi

Reaction score
tried reading the articles on the website. although it sounds logical to reduce trash, but is it ideal to transfer the waste load to our wastewater which also requires energy to treat and recycle as NEWater? Not sure how PUB and NEA will view this. These are my views and strictly for discussion only.

I personally think it will probably be quite expensive to install that?? Meaning would not be country wide movement to do these, mayb probably less than 3% in sg household??

Then i think will make not much difference to how the waste is recycled perhaps?? Daily when we wash stuffs down the sink... It may contain even bigger particles than the device produces after breaking down... Just my thought..

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
Those with or intending to get Broadlink RM Pro, can take a look at the videos below.

Google Home

Alexa

apparently Broadlink has limited the features on their newer model;
- Only RF for Google Home
- Only IR for Alexa

Bro here with RM Pro, care to comment?
I ordered one last night just seconds before I saw these video. I am using Google Home. sad

I am using Amazon Alexa with RM Pro. As per the seller's advice, I am using an Android box with RM Plugin as a bridge between the Broadlink e-connect app and the Alexa app.
Then all that's left is to make macros. Quite easy after it is up and running. I can easily modify my macros over time including the name of the command to adapt to the changes that I've made such as a new TV that needs my command to adapt to it. I just need to go to the TV remote on the Broadlink app and click on swap frequency and then go to the plugin and edit the macro with the macro from the ihc app and then go to Alexa and click Discover. That's it. It's easier than you think once you understand how it works.

For me personally, I am experimenting the Smart Home feel by using it in my room.

Thankfully, my Fanco fan also acts as the room's main LED light while I have a dedicated LED strip for my PC Desk along with aircon, TV, Speakers.

Due to my Fanco remote using radio waves instead of infrared, I could not use the Logitech harmony. So I depend on the Broadlink RM Pro RM03 along with the Amazon Echo Dot 2 that I bought off of Carousell.
The seller was extremely nice as to provide even instructions as to set up the whole thing.

I went the extra mile as to even set up my Amazon Echo to register my Singapore address which I have yet seen others achieve. So things like weather and the nearest McDonalds or 7-11 will tell me ones that are actually near my house.

The macros on the Broadlink app are easy to set up. I have mine set to turn on aircon at certain times of the night and then turn off and switch back to my Fanco ceiling fan. So as to not waste electricity but still keep the room cool the whole night.
Similarly, there are macros which are specifically for the Amazon Echo which will activate. For example, if I say 'Alexa, turn on food'. It will switch off my Desk LED strip and switch on main room light and then turn on the TV and speakers at the same time too allowing me to just display my PC screen to the TV instead of my monitor and then use my PS4 controller which has been configured as a remote (though with a simple swipe of the touchbar, I can change it back to controller mode thanks to DS4Windows).
I use Mediaplayer Classic via the K-Lite codec pack since it has MadVR so it can send HDR signal to the TV if I am ever watching such a video like movies if need be. I usually highlight all the videos that I want to watch and with a simple click of 'Add to MPC-HC playlist', it will now play all the Youtube videos that I've downloaded back to back with MadVR even upconverting the quality of some low res videos to 4K if need be automatically.
And with this, I can eat while watching some YT videos or animes or Korean variety as I wish depending on what I add to the playlist which I can switch to the next video at any time thanks to the PS4 controller.

I can just say 'Alexa, turn on away' if I want to go out and it'll shut off all the devices that are turned on without me having to manually switch all the devices off.

Amazon Alexa also works with my Xiaomi Robot Vacuum by using the command 'Alexa, start vacuum' and it will clean my room in about 5 minutes while I go off to shower.

With the Echo Dot 2, I can have it make and receive calls for me though I do not wish to use that feature. I am so used to it that I once accidentally almost called Alexa back in the office in order to turn on the lights there. :s13:
It has become 2nd nature without me having to physically move to the device or remote which may not be with me. I love it.
Best of all, it only costs me around $100 for both devices.
I plan to add more around the house in the future since it is just super convenient.

Last edited:

233mmx

Reaction score
Great that you managed to get quite a few different devices working with Alexa. My wife thinks having all these gadgets around the house is a bad idea (EMF radiation) and she hates talking to Alexa so I've not been able to try out as much new stuff as often I would like to

topherw86

Reaction score
Hey there.. I just got my livolo switches. Is there any kind soul who can guide me to wiring the 2 way switch?

I have had no issues with the 1 way switches.

I have a 1g2w at the entrance. And a 2g2w at hallway. 1 of the switch from the 2g2w will be used as a 1 way switch.. whereas the remaining 1 switch will have to work as 2 way with the one at the entrance, 1g2w.

Tried to find online but can't seem to know which wires goes to the a and b.

shacboi

Reaction score
Hey there.. I just got my livolo switches. Is there any kind soul who can guide me to wiring the 2 way switch?

I have a 1g2w at the entrance. And a 2g2w at hallway. 1 of the switch from the 2g2w will be used as a 1 way switch.. whereas the remaining 1 switch will have to work as 2 way with the one at the entrance, 1g2w.

Hi there, personally i havent setup a 2-way livolo switch but i believe after the wiring is done. u have to sync the button-to-button ??

could it be holding the 1gang2w button till it beep, then goto the 2gang2way, the button which is meant for 2way and click on it to 'pair' or sumthing ??

pls note, i solely based on assumptions, i didnt do before too. :s13:

shacboi

Reaction score
Great that you managed to get quite a few different devices working with Alexa. My wife thinks having all these gadgets around the house is a bad idea (EMF radiation) and she hates talking to Alexa so I've not been able to try out as much new stuff as often I would like to

It has become 2nd nature without me having to physically move to the device or remote which may not be with me. I love it.
I plan to add more around the house in the future since it is just super convenient.

Bro here with RM Pro, care to comment?
I ordered one last night just seconds before I saw these video. I am using Google Home. sad

Hi LiLAsN,

Yea great that have use considerably less amount of money to make your home 'smart'. I'm also using Alexa, together with RM Pro3 (and also broadlink S2 Hub for the door sensors) with Livolo switches/RF sockets, doing pretty much like what you have done.

But i didn't use plugin via Android box to 'talk' to Alexa, i use the IHC app (only TV remote template is recgonised) therefore have pretty much configurations/setup to do. Anyways once the tough part is over, the rest is enjoyment.

i'm able to come home, open my main door which triggers the door sensor and activate a sequence to ON the devices such as kitchen backsplash, shelf decor light, dining room chandelier, livingroom light, living fan and master room bedside lamps. For my wife whom doesn't have the app installed on her phone, the sensor works well as she doesnt need to do anything once reach home and the lights and stuffs will get ready for her (even when i'm not around). another area is my Storeroom, open the door store light up, once i close the storeroom door, light auto shut, able to acheive this via broadlink S2 door sensor -> RM Pro3 -> Livolo switch in storeroom.

I have 3 Alexa, livingroom, kitchen and master room.
I do still use Alexa to turn on TV etc, or off my bedside lamp sometimes.
But the most used Alexa will be the kitchen, due to morning breakfast at nook, we will ask it to play some music/radio stn. Now my wife will ask Kitchen Alexa to set timer when she cooks stuff. Or play her Spotify playlist via kitchen Alexa, music output via Alexa instead.

So far we are enjoying the features we have built in our house, and will explore if new technology emerges which can improve the way of living.

Hi evq, Google Home to RM Pro3 not an issue, u just have to configure it as 'light' for the devices. I tried using Android phone Google-Assistant to control the RM Pro3 too, it works too.

Hi 233mmx, my wife intially also reluntant to let me install the 'smart' devices, but after some convincing and real-life demo.. now she can see the positives of the stuffs we have got, she even went on to recommend her friends when her friends visit our home! I realise how much u try to tell/explain to frds, they usualli cannot see the picture, only till they see a live demo in my hse den they also wanna do the same.

As for your wife not liking to talk to Alexa, i guess can try to make Alexa help your wife in terms of other means instead of on/off device which maybe ur wife is not interested in. Maybe help on the cooking recipes, act as timer, calender notification or playing music can slowly get her to warm up to Alexa, that happens for my wife's case though. Good luck! :s13:

Last edited:

evq

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I m in the same situation. 3g2w to 2g2w. another 3g2w to 1g2w.

I m looking for a smart wifi switch where i can control via google home & phone, even from outside house.

care to share where u get ur Livolo switch from?

topherw86

Reaction score
Got them from aliexpress.
My 2 way switches have a and b. This is confusing as I only have 3 wires. Seems I'm short of one.

The reviews online shows post about the wiring portion of the switch being round and having a com connection instead of a and b.. which seems to be the one that I need....

But the one I have is a square back connection...

shacboi

Reaction score
Got them from aliexpress.
My 2 way switches have a and b. This is confusing as I only have 3 wires. Seems I'm short of one.

The reviews online shows post about the wiring portion of the switch being round and having a com connection instead of a and b.. which seems to be the one that I need....

But the one I have is a square back connection...

The COM port with round back is EU version.
UK version is the one u had, with A & B port.

shacboi

Reaction score
Hi Shacboi, Thanks. Would you know how to connect the UK version?

Hi there, I also nvr encounter this before. as understand i think by-right u should have 2 separate wires for port A & B, but now u only have 1 wire... i not sure if short the wire and put in both port A & B will work or not / or any implications, unlikely to work though.

Best for ur case is to get the EU version of the switch with one COM port to fit the 1 wire.

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score
I am using Amazon Alexa with RM Pro. As per the seller's advice, I am using an Android box with RM Plugin as a bridge between the Broadlink ihc app and the Alexa app.

Amazon Alexa also works with my Xiaomi Robot Vacuum by using the command 'Alexa, start vacuum' and it will clean my room in about 5 minutes while I go off to shower.

With the Echo Dot 2, I can have it make and receive calls for me though I do not wish to use that feature. I am so used to it that I once accidentally almost called Alexa back in the office in order to turn on the lights there. :s13:

bro, so regardless which rm pro it doesnt matter? can teach me how? seems somewhat complicated...

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
bro, so regardless which rm pro it doesnt matter? can teach me how? seems somewhat complicated...

I bought my RM Pro along with Alexa from this seller. She provided me with the rest of the instructions once I received the item. I followed just as the video tutorial did and it works.
Please also note to use a seperate android device for the RM Plugin as it has to be left at home with the setup.
In this case, I used my free ViewQwest TV box. You could use any sort of Android device you have that you won't be using on a daily basis. So the Android TV box was perfect.

RM Pro (Do Not buy the plus model. It doesn't work with RM plugin)
https://carousell.com/p/broadlink-rm-pro-rm03-smart-remote-smart-home-108731180/
Echo Dot 2
https://carousell.com/p/amazon-echo-dot-2-116266653/?ref=profile&ref_referrer=%2Fdesireeeeee%2F&ref_sId=1615720

Above 2 links are from the same seller. But those 2 are the ones that I buy from her.
Seller's delivery is very fast too. Literally on the same day for me.

But I think now, there's an option to select Singapore as your main address.
Prior, only I was able to modify Alexa to take Singapore as an address and it allowed me to say, 'Alexa, where's the nearest McDonald's?' or 'Alexa, what's the weather like?' and it will answer appropriately. However, out of nowhere, I couldn't get Alexa to tell me the nearest restaurants with it saying the feature might be coming in the future. When I checked settings, it seems to have changed to accept my Singapore address instead of disallowing me from registering a Singapore address unless I use some coding again.

Here's the video that I followed to get it all set up.

In spoilers are the instructions that I got from the extremely patient and helpful seller.
Just watch the tutorial video as it teaches you everything you need to know. Use the video and this guide as reference and you should be fine. As for the rm plugin app, please purchase the paid version $6.99. Worthwhile purchase.

1. Set up your Broadlink products with The Broadlink E-Control App. Connect everything you need to ie TC2, Fan, TV, Aircon and others before proceeding with step 2.
2. Download Alexa App. If you’re using iOS please follow this guide on how to download https://beebom.com/how-to-set-up-and-use-amazon-echo-outside-us/ if you’re using Android please download the app from this link https://www.apkmonk.com/app/com.amazon.dee.app/ or otherwise you may also use a laptop that has Wi-Fi enabled to set up your echo dot via https://alexa.amazon.com
3. After downloading Alexa, proceed to set up your echo device according to the in app instructions. After configuring your echo device, do go to echo settings and change your time zone to China Standard Time and turn on metrics for Temperature and Distance.
4. ONLY after your done with Step 1-4 then you proceed to download the paid version of RM Plugin from the google play store. If you did not complete step 1 fully you will be wasting a lot of time configuring RM plugin.
5. Follow this tutorial for RM plugin https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DJIhEyMQ0TI
6. After everything is up and running well with Alexa Commands to control your Broadlink and other devices you need to go to your router admin page and set a static address for the android device that is hosting RM Plugin. You need to google search “how to set static/DHCP allocation for (your router brand)” and follow the guide accordingly. For reference on what IP address your rm Plugin is running on you can see the IP address under Alexa Device List bottom of the screen. Set that IP address to static/DHCP allocation.

After you download e-control app, if they prompt you to download their new app called IHC which is directly compatible with Alexa, DON’T. It’s a crappy app and doesn’t work most of the time. Please stick to e-control. After you configure everything on the e-control, you may save a backup in the app itself. So you can have multiple phones restoring the backup within the app itself if you need to. The app can control your appliances even when you’re out of home.

Alexa app only needed for set up purchase and should be installed in your primary phone only.

Rm plugin only need to install into your android device which is going to be at home at all times acting as the bridge.

E-control to be installed on both your primary(for remote access) and android device(to port the codes to rm plugin)
Just use one device to configure, back it up and restore onto another device, don’t need to do two times

topherw86

Reaction score
Yeah got my rm pro from her too. Great seller and service.

Nobody is using the europe livolo 2 way? :(

233mmx

Reaction score

I have no experience with 2 way switches, but I saw this wiring diagram in the aliexpress product page

HTB1tJfpJVXXXXb_XVXXq6xXFXXXi.jpg

Last edited:

233mmx

Reaction score
Hi 233mmx, my wife intially also reluntant to let me install the 'smart' devices, but after some convincing and real-life demo.. now she can see the positives of the stuffs we have got, she even went on to recommend her friends when her friends visit our home! I realise how much u try to tell/explain to frds, they usualli cannot see the picture, only till they see a live demo in my hse den they also wanna do the same.

As for your wife not liking to talk to Alexa, i guess can try to make Alexa help your wife in terms of other means instead of on/off device which maybe ur wife is not interested in. Maybe help on the cooking recipes, act as timer, calender notification or playing music can slowly get her to warm up to Alexa, that happens for my wife's case though. Good luck! :s13:

She gets frustrated because Alexa voice training done by me so her accent is not always recognised by Alexa, end up her voice commands are always hit & miss :s13:

Nice idea you have to get your wife hooked to the helpful stuff that Alexa can do for her :D I have tried sometime ago but she's not convinced enough :s13:

233mmx

Reaction score

the beauty of using RM Pro is that it can control any device with an RF or IR remote, so when you integrate with Alexa via RM plugin, she can theoretically control any device

if you further setup Alexa routines, you can trigger the device automatically based on timing, for e.g. vacuum at certain timing every day or certain days of the week

233mmx

Reaction score
HTML:
Yeah got my rm pro from her too. Great seller and service.

Nobody is using the europe livolo 2 way? :(

Din know there was such a seller in SG for broadlink products. I got mine all from aliexpress which are generally cheaper but shipping takes quite long for certain sellers

233mmx

Reaction score
But I think now, there's an option to select Singapore as your main address.
Prior, only I was able to modify Alexa to take Singapore as an address and it allowed me to say, 'Alexa, where's the nearest McDonald's?' or 'Alexa, what's the weather like?' and it will answer appropriately. However, out of nowhere, I couldn't get Alexa to tell me the nearest restaurants with it saying the feature might be coming in the future. When I checked settings, it seems to have changed to accept my Singapore address instead of disallowing me from registering a Singapore address unless I use some coding again.

In overseas Amazon Echo forums (e.g. echotalk.org), there's a lot of discussion on Amazon's decisions to geo-fence their skills and lots of non-US Echo owners are not able to fully access all the skills that US customers get. Bummer :s27:

I have had my Echo dots since 2016 and back then it took some workarounds to get it working in SG, thanks to earlier adopters who learnt by the hard way. Personally, I would still recommend setting US address and location for the Echo devices to get early access to all the latest skills and functionality.

Did you know you can ask Alexa to voice call as well as send SMSes to your mobile? There's also a new product called Echo Connect which can integrate Alexa with your land line at home but I have not heard of anyone using it outside of US at the moment.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.