Mattress - which brand / types? Part 2

Cypher02

Reaction score
What's the main difference between memory foam and latex? I actually tot that tempur'memory foam were the best. Never knew it would be hot if air con wasn't on..

Its actually my first time purchasing mattress and was kinda overwhelmed when I went down to Tampines courts to try out. Stuck to firm mattress and prefer those that wouldn't disturb the other when moving up and down from the bed

Do you have any brand recommendations? I'm willing to spend up to around 4k max.

Get the 100% latex mattresses. They are much better than the memory foam ones.

Drop by Space@Tampines and take a look at the showrooms offering the latex mattresses.

Alternatively, you can check out European Bedding as well https://www.europeanbedding.sg/

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What's the main difference between memory foam and latex? I actually tot that tempur'memory foam were the best. Never knew it would be hot if air con wasn't on..

Its actually my first time purchasing mattress and was kinda overwhelmed when I went down to Tampines courts to try out. Stuck to firm mattress and prefer those that wouldn't disturb the other when moving up and down from the bed

Do you have any brand recommendations? I'm willing to spend up to around 4k max.
Memory foam is a more forgiving material, it will conform to your body shape. However, it's a synthetic material, often made from petroleum. It will offgas toxic fumes during production and usage. These contain VOC aka volatile organic compound, which can be allergens, mutagens, carcinogen, immunotoxic or cause developmental & reproductive toxicity. Due to its density, it traps more heat than most material.

Latex is a more natural material though they are added with a bit of stabiliser. 70% of the latex produced in the world is from South East Asia. That's why Latex should be much cheaper and a better buy here. They are more cooling and lesser toxic than other types of support material.

Spring coils give the resistance to the bed, the layer on top gives the comfort. Some beds are fully latex/foam, some beds use coconut husk as the resistance. If you want something harder, then the spring should be more, the top layer of latex/foam less.
If it's fully latex, you can "sink" in, that's if you like such embracing effect.

You shouldn't go for brand, there isn't alot of ergonomics in bed. Even those zonal support claim don't make a lot of sense, cause who can guarantee which position of the bed are you sleeping and your position. I will suggest that you go to those SEA brands, they give much better value.

Also research shows that people felt the most improvement after changing to a new bed, and a bed can last approximately 10 years. In the research, they gave various bed types. So if the objective is to have a better back care, you will need to plan for regular replacement. Not sure if you want to dump $4k for something that can only last that long. For that price, you can get pure latex. If it's pure latex, most likely it's flipable, meaning you can use both sides and you can use for a longer time. Not saying that it's better though, cause it might be too soft.

Last edited:

MaoZeDuo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Crap i think seahorse is memory foam

Memory foam is a more forgiving material, it will conform to your body shape. However, it's a synthetic material, often made from petroleum. It will offgas toxic fumes during production and usage. These contain VOC aka volatile organic compound, which can be allergens, mutagens, carcinogen, immunotoxic or cause developmental & reproductive toxicity. Due to its density, it traps more heat than most material.

Latex is a more natural material though they are added with a bit of stabiliser. 70% of the latex produced in the world is from South East Asia. That's why Latex should be much cheaper and a better buy here. They are more cooling and lesser toxic than other types of support material.

Spring coils give the resistance to the bed, the layer on top gives the comfort. Some beds are fully latex/foam, some beds use coconut husk as the resistance. If you want something harder, then the spring should be more, the top layer of latex/foam less.
If it's fully latex, you can "sink" in, that's if you like such embracing effect.

You shouldn't go for brand, there isn't alot of ergonomics in bed. Even those zonal support claim don't make a lot of sense, cause who can guarantee which position of the bed are you sleeping and your position. I will suggest that you go to those SEA brands, they give much better value.

Also research shows that people felt the most improvement after changing to a new bed, and a bed can last approximately 10 years. In the research, they gave various bed types. So if the objective is to have a better back care, you will need to plan for regular replacement. Not sure if you want to dump $4k for something that can only last that long. For that price, you can get pure latex. If it's pure latex, most likely it's flipable, meaning you can use both sides and you can use for a longer time. Not saying that it's better though, cause it might be too soft.

smiggleprincess

Reaction score

your price can buy latex...
latex is defintely firm.
I have a bad back hence need a firm mattress.
best part it wont even sink in, unlike my previous Sealy...
did not even last 6 years.
and Malaysia is a big rubber plantation, hence latex is really cheap, therefore alot are actually made in Msia

mine is Napure. maide in Msia
when i first bought it i find it very wobbly..
cos i can feel every toss and turn...
i google all the bad reviews until i found the solution
I realise its cos my bedframe cannot support..
its like at least 80kg for a super king size...
hence bedframe also very impt to support for latex..

Last edited:

THTAISI

Reaction score

The difference is pretty huge though!
Main difference and decision point for me was that memory foam is entirely synthetic with a lot of chemicals in it. You're breathing in all these smells night after night. Also I felt that with a memory foam, you sink in a lot more than with a latex mattress, which is more bouncy. Your body needs to do more effort on a memory foam to move over in your sleep, while with a latex that's naturally easier. It is a rubber after all.
When I was on holiday they had this memory foam mattress that was incredibly hot... Think that's also a big factor not to go for a memory foam.

Latex-wise, there are a few options: Lotus, European Bedding or Sofzsleep (but don't know if this last one is entirely natural latex tho).

Good luck!

starun

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Should be going for it. Medium firm and reviews look decent for the price.

Dunlopillo traditional premier king size priced at 28xx after promo, free 2 pillows. Is the price worth the catch (bed frame additional cost)?

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think you must first see whether you want spring plus latex or pure latex.
My preference is spring plus latex. :o

ksw101

Reaction score
I paid mattress in full payment last Sunday at Takesimaya and it hasn’t delivered yet. Can I cancel and refund my payment? I asked sales consultant and what they said is it is promotional sales and they don’t accept refund. Is it true?

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I paid mattress in full payment last Sunday at Takesimaya and it hasn’t delivered yet. Can I cancel and refund my payment? I asked sales consultant and what they said is it is promotional sales and they don’t accept refund. Is it true?
You can refund, you speak to the cashier or Takashimaya staff, not the promoter.

They will refund you with credit note instead of cash though. :o

ksw101

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. So I do not need to speak to promoter if the good is not delivered yet? It’s good to know coz my delivey date is April.

But what a strange is they told me they don’t accept refund, but accept top-up 1200 only for king size.

You can refund, you speak to the cashier or Takashimaya staff, not the promoter.

They will refund you with credit note instead of cash though. :o

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Takashimaya's inhouse rule overpower their brand's rule.

If you refund as credit note and got your money back from them, I don't think they will want to deliver for nothing. :o

ksw101

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your kind explanation. It’s very useful info knowing inhouse rule :)
Takashimaya's inhouse rule overpower their brand's rule.

If you refund as credit note and got your money back from them, I don't think they will want to deliver for nothing. :o

Camrytron

Reaction score
I believe it will be in thousands of credit note, wow that's alot of credit note for u to shop in Taka in future. What brand did u initial bought and why want to cancel?

All more questions about the use of credit note before cancel, skali can only use inside Taka departmental store.

Thanks a lot for your kind explanation. It’s very useful info knowing inhouse rule :)

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think you paid 4k for the brand. That's enough to buy a pure latex mattress and a solid wood bed frame. :o

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you need more resistance, think the layer on top should be lesser, you need to be closer to the spring. Latex is naturally bouncy and soft. If it's not, think it's not natural already, then you lost a lot of the purpose in getting it.

You visited tilamking, getha and mylatex? There are a lot of brands with Latex top.
IMM can try the Mylatex but the prices are chop carrot price.

Use here for some reference for mylatex
https://easyhouse.com.sg/product-category/brands/mylatex/

There's a store at Alexandra Village selling the mylatex mattress, there are two stores over there by the same family. One besides the ATM, one hidden inside beside the toto booth. The one at the toto booth has mylatex, but don't look like u can try much. Price good like the webstore ref on top though.

The dormiente brand mentioned earlier also look like a very good brand who knows a lot about latex bedding. Maybe they can customise a firmer bed for u. IIRC, they are not cheap though.
:o

XxlwAteRzlxX

Master Member
Reaction score
If you need more resistance, think the layer on top should be lesser, you need to be closer to the spring. Latex is naturally bouncy and soft. If it's not, think it's not natural already, then you lost a lot of the purpose in getting it.

You visited tilamking, getha and mylatex? There are a lot of brands with Latex top.
IMM can try the Mylatex but the prices are chop carrot price.

Use here for some reference for mylatex
https://easyhouse.com.sg/product-cat...rands/mylatex/

There's a store at Alexandra Village selling the mylatex mattress, there are two stores over there by the same family. One besides the ATM, one hidden inside beside the toto booth. The one at the toto booth has mylatex, but don't look like u can try much. Price good like the webstore ref on top though.

The dormiente brand mentioned earlier also look like a very good brand who knows a lot about latex bedding. Maybe they can customise a firmer bed for u. IIRC, they are not cheap though.

:o

Haven visited tilam king yet cus of the saga I read thus far in the beginning of the thread and the rest maybe will go there take a look this weekend. I only placed a refundable deposit on the mattress so far so still can change my choice haha

We chose the sealy hybrid reflex because the firmness is just what we like with latex topping. It was originally around 6k after discount from 10k but because of other various promo managed to bring it down to approx 5.3k for a king size with free bed frame.

Hopefully can find something similar when we go down to tilam king and the others

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.