Leaving my dog home alone

punkster

Reaction score
My dog(adopted) has abandonment issues and I think it stresses him to be home alone. I recently got a cctv and realizes he paces around the entire time I’m out for work (almost 10 hours) :sad:

How do I calm him down?

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
:( dunno sia..

when we not around, my dog bark for the whole day
(the only thing is my mom always @ home so only when all of us go out.)

how abt turn on music?
throw ur wear clothes (got ur smell)?

get 2 way ip cam to talk to him sometime?

punkster

Reaction score
I’ll try music see if it works.

Clothes and camera wise doesn’t work. When I speak to him over the camera it only makes him more excited as he thought I’m coming back and will frantically go around the house looking for me. :sad:

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
try to walk ur dog, make it feel tired than sleep the whole afternoon till ur back?

punkster

Reaction score
I’m already waking up at 6am to bring him for run before I go work. I think I’m more tired than him though. Haha :s13:

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
than ok ma...

or get another dog :p (jk)

linzw00

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i have very similar situation as ts. can try there is a calming spray. supposedly to calm the dog down or make it sleepy.

things we tried so far:

1) on radio when we are away - impact, now whenever we on the radio, she knows she is going to be home alone soon.

2) clothes - no use

3) cctv - helpful to monitor the behavior, but cannot communicate to them via the cctv, bcos it makes them more excited.

4) adopted a 2nd dog thinking that a company will help - turned out they totally treat each other as invisible when we are not around.

whenever there's thunderstorm, she will turn hysterical, bark, pee and poo, messed up the entire kitchen.

punkster

Reaction score
I tried the radio today. Doesn’t seemed to make any diff when I observe via cctv. Yes thunderstorm is the worst, can see him trembling and I feel really bad :(

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
why would one own a dog if you are leaving it alone for ~10hrs daily? how much time is spend interacting with Dog when U are home? if u not giving lot of time that;s just bad.

I felt one is just not responsible.
finding another dog to replace part of responsibility is not going to help, dog seeks human's attention not another dog.

if U want a pet which don't seek attention much like a Dog, should have opt for a CAT.
CAT no abandonment issue.

Solution.
1. Get a job that lets u come home and spend lunch hours with pet, narrow down time dog is left alone.

punkster

Reaction score
Didn’t plan to have a pet let alone a dog in the first place. Adopted him as he was abandoned by previous owner and was going to be put down and never regretted it since.

Easy to say find another job etc but other than responsibility to my dog, there’s also financial responsibility in the real world with human families depending on my current income which is why I need to work more than 10 hours everyday :spin:

why would one own a dog if you are leaving it alone for ~10hrs daily? how much time is spend interacting with Dog when U are home? if u not giving lot of time that;s just bad.

finding another dog to replace part of responsibility is not going to help, dog seeks human's attention not another dog.

if U want a pet which don't seek attention much like a Dog, should have opt for a CAT.

Solution.
1. Get a job that lets u come home and spend lunch hours with pet, narrow down time dog is left alone.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Didn’t plan to have a pet let alone a dog in the first place. Adopted him as he was abandoned by previous owner and was going to be put down and never regretted it since.

Easy to say find another job etc but other than responsibility to my dog, there’s also financial responsibility in the real world with human families depending on my current income which is why I need to work more than 10 hours everyday :spin:

well U didn't regret, we don't know if the dog share the same feeling. It is great you save a life but the quality of life?
the way u put it as if U didn't plan but dog come to your home and you stuck with it.
I like adoption agency as it lets go of animals easily but it lacks the responsibility to ensure quality of life. Unlike rescue group in the states rescue animals will not go to a household without passing a list of requirements. More humane way to treat animals.

If I am in your position I will find another family that understand the situation and is willing to work it out with the animal. thats my 2 cents.

linzw00

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wow, ideal dog owners should be family that always have pple at home, be it aged parent, or children, one spouse remain at home while the other adult off work. because, as much as ideally one should find a flex work arrangement or work from home arrangement for the pet, depending on one's age, one would know ideal remains as ideal. ideally the same requirement should apply to human children too isn't it.

instead of finding a idealistic job, a more doable option would be hire a domestic help at home to accompany the dog or send the dog to day care which is available too.

like all first time human parent to their new born, we are inexperienced and tried our level best to do what we can, through experiences or from other owners. dogs are social pack animals, not necessary in need of human companion, if one sends the pet to dog run park and see how the dogs are having fun with others dogs, as owners what is one's logical conclusion?

one hv to find out the root cause of why dog is having separation anxiety. not all dogs have this problem, 1 eg is my 2nd dog which i adopted when she was 10yo, 2yrs ago, because the owner claimed that they are migrating and the dog has existing medical condition. she's perfectly calm and sleep most of the time when we are not around.

if one is fortunate enough to have an ideal situation in their household, dn't assume and expect the general population to have that situation too.

Last edited:

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
LOL.. having pple at home is not easy le for now era.

depend le..
my dog had separation anxiety because he is use to it to had ppl @ home all times.
now, we go out like for family dinner. He will bark till we back.

AristroCats

Master Member
Reaction score

Solution.

"if U want a pet which don't seek attention much like a Dog, should have opt for a CAT.
CAT no abandonment issue."

Wow. You must never been expose to cats.
It is so Wrong to say that cats don't seek much attention and cats No abandonment issue.
Do you also think that cats are not a social animal like dogs and prefer to be alone?
Sorry, but your comments are absolutely not true about cats.

AristroCats

Master Member
Reaction score
well U didn't regret, we don't know if the dog share the same feeling. It is great you save a life but the quality of life?
the way u put it as if U didn't plan but dog come to your home and you stuck with it.
I like adoption agency as it lets go of animals easily but it lacks the responsibility to ensure quality of life. Unlike rescue group in the states rescue animals will not go to a household without passing a list of requirements. More humane way to treat animals.

If I am in your position I will find another family that understand the situation and is willing to work it out with the animal. thats my 2 cents.

What are you smoking? :s22:

punkster

Reaction score
I guess my dog is lucky he met me and not someone that shares your thinking as I’m pretty sure he does prefer to be alive and loved rather than dead and shoved around different families whenever the owner decided that it’s too difficult or because he doesn’t deserve it as he needs to work.

I hope you have a good career if or when you eventually realize the realities of life and start working, contributing, to your family and society. :)

AristroCats

Master Member
Reaction score
I guess my dog is lucky he met me and not someone that shares your thinking as I’m pretty sure he does prefer to be alive and loved rather than dead and shoved around different families whenever the owner decided that it’s too difficult or because he doesn’t deserve it as he needs to work.

I hope you have a good career if or when you eventually realize the realities of life and start working, contributing, to your family and society. :)

I'm not experienced with dogs so can't advice you on how to calm him down, but there's this homeopathic, natural stress relief for pets from Dr. Bach in a form of liquid which you can put inside his water/food/treat that you might want to try, it's called Rescue Remedy. It's alcohol free and recommended to reduce animal stress and tension. I bought one last year for $24 for a 10ml bottle.

Boner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i believe alot of working pet owners have this issue of pet alone at home, cos human need to work to feed their pets and pamper them. i have a new puppy and having this issue where the dog will whine at night or while noone at home. Being a first time owner, i am feeling stressed out and asking alot of friend who have pets.
Not to mentioned going home after a hard day at work and to clean up pee and poo, but when you find comfort when they look at you with their puppy eyes, you know they appreciate it. I just hope the little guy grow out of it fast and integrate into my life.
Pets need to adjust to owners life style, not the other way round.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.