Help. Where to get turkish liras?

brownkineeki

Reaction score
Dun change at airport..got comission end up usd about 1.97 nia last week

If alone maybe 100-150 usd will be enuff..nothing much to buy .bazaar can use usd or cc too

Mastercard there'll be extra charges so trynna avoid using it. Will be there for 5 days. How's the food and transport prices?

AcquiT

Master Member
Reaction score
Mastercard there'll be extra charges so trynna avoid using it. Will be there for 5 days. How's the food and transport prices?

got metroline..1-2 lira each trip iirc

taxi no try so not v sure

food everyday about kebabs less than $2-5 can eat..got mac and bk depend where u going

u heading Istanbul only?

Spice bazaars nuts are more ex..i went Saffronbolu..nuts and stuffs are alot cheaper there

scarves and shawls are v cheap in Grand Bazaar though

Bosphorus cruise about 10lira for 1hour..juz go there alot sellers..,agency charges us 75usd..imagine the markup lol

public toilets some about 1lira..some foc..go toilet so exp:s13:

taksim square quite alot shops like ours..quite good to walk around

brownkineeki

Reaction score
got metroline..1-2 lira each trip iirc

taxi no try so not v sure

food everyday about kebabs less than $2-5 can eat..got mac and bk depend where u going

u heading Istanbul only?

Spice bazaars nuts are more ex..i went Saffronbolu..nuts and stuffs are alot cheaper there

scarves and shawls are v cheap in Grand Bazaar though

Bosphorus cruise about 10lira for 1hour..juz go there alot sellers..,agency charges us 75usd..imagine the markup lol

public toilets some about 1lira..some foc..go toilet so exp:s13:

taksim square quite alot shops like ours..quite good to walk around

Thanks for the info. Heading to other parts of Turkey as well and visiting other countries. Hopefully I won't get ripped off by the sellers at the bazaars. Can't wait to try their kebabs and baklavas !

AcquiT

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Heading to other parts of Turkey as well and visiting other countries. Hopefully I won't get ripped off by the sellers at the bazaars. Can't wait to try their kebabs and baklavas !

Usually ask for 50% discount first but some sellers can b quite attitude lol

If u go to Cappadocia..hot air ballon is a must..if u tried at nz or aussie before,this one still far more amazing view

Anyway enjoy,it is something quite different in Turkey and their culture

brownkineeki

Reaction score
Usually ask for 50% discount first but some sellers can b quite attitude lol

If u go to Cappadocia..hot air ballon is a must..if u tried at nz or aussie before,this one still far more amazing view

Anyway enjoy,it is something quite different in Turkey and their culture

How much did you pay for the hot air balloon ride ? Heard very expensive

klavier

Reaction score
230 usd from agency

but the agency there direct for hotair ballon is 130euro

the best price i was quoted was 100 euros....
by the way, atm is the way to go if u want to exchange money unless u already have usd or eur.

afrovillain

Reaction score
sorry for dragging an old thread, going to Istanbul soon and need to know which money changer in Sg is carrying Lira.

jarvis

Master Member
Reaction score
sorry for dragging an old thread, going to Istanbul soon and need to know which money changer in Sg is carrying Lira.

Don't bother to change in SG. Even if you can find it, the rates are complete rubbish. When I went, I remembered the difference was about 15-20% off the XE rate. But if you want, you will probably need to order it from the money changer in advance so that they can go get some.

Easier to just go there and draw money from the ATM. While the bank rate is not good, and you may need to pay ATM charges (citi does not charge for overseas ATM withdrawals), I think it was still better. It was about 5-10% off the XE rate. Just make sure your card is enabled for overseas use.

lowzeewee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Aside from using ATMs as mentioned above, you could also bring USD or Euro to change to Lira once you get into the city proper. The airport rates are very poor.

Of course, to get into the city, you will need a bit of Lira first. There is a guy who was selling Lira @ http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/travel-bazaar-346/currency-exchange-5647129.html#post108962394 . I previously sold my leftover Lira to and personally dealt with him, so can vouch for his reliability.:)

There is also an active listing of some loose Lira on Carousell.

If the above doesn't work out, you could just draw a little from ATMs at the airport before changing the rest in the city.

mlangelo

Reaction score

I am planning my trip too. So far the 'best' rate offered is 1 lira to $0.39 or 256 lira to S$100 at Mustafa. On the internet currency exchange, the rate is 1 lira to $0.34, quite a vast difference. Compared to the exchange rates in 2014, our SGD has appreciated quite a fair bit.
I called POSB and according to them, if you draw the lira from the ATM with the Cirrus / Plus logos, you are charged at Mastercard rates https://ferates.com/sgd and an additional S$5 per withdrawl. Present Mastercard rates is 1000 TRY to S$341. So this seems to be the best option.
Another alternative is also to change to Euros or USD and change them in town at the money changer, not the airport which does not have good rates. Euros have a good rate there. But becareful of scams.

afrovillain

Reaction score
I am planning my trip too. So far the 'best' rate offered is 1 lira to $0.39 or 256 lira to S$100 at Mustafa. On the internet currency exchange, the rate is 1 lira to $0.34, quite a vast difference. Compared to the exchange rates in 2014, our SGD has appreciated quite a fair bit.
I called POSB and according to them, if you draw the lira from the ATM with the Cirrus / Plus logos, you are charged at Mastercard rates https://ferates.com/sgd and an additional S$5 per withdrawl. Present Mastercard rates is 1000 TRY to S$341. So this seems to be the best option.
Another alternative is also to change to Euros or USD and change them in town at the money changer, not the airport which does not have good rates. Euros have a good rate there. But becareful of scams.

Thanks everyone for their input! I read other forums as well and it seem that withdrawing from ATM is the best option. Do you plan to withdraw all the cash from the atm or just a bit and change the rest at the city?

mlangelo

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for their input! I read other forums as well and it seem that withdrawing from ATM is the best option. Do you plan to withdraw all the cash from the atm or just a bit and change the rest at the city?

If you are alone and do not want to lose what you have drawn to pickpockets or scams, then take out enough for a few days, making sure you keep your atm card in a safe place. The $5 withdrawl fee is like the charge the bank levies for keeping your cash safe. If you have a companion or more to help look out for you, then I guess it is safe to draw a bit more.

afrovillain

Reaction score
A bit off topic but hopefully someone can help to answer. Where did you guys get your sim card? Was reading around and it seems like the airport is a busy place to get one. Too bad singtel dataroam 1gb do not cover Turkey.

aearthr

Reaction score
A bit off topic but hopefully someone can help to answer. Where did you guys get your sim card? Was reading around and it seems like the airport is a busy place to get one. Too bad singtel dataroam 1gb do not cover Turkey.
Me too, i also want to ask on data sim card. True, singtel dataroam 1gb do not cover Turkey which is such a waste as Singtel offers $20 credit per month for dataroam for combo 6 and above. I checked qoo10 and the prepaid sim card is so ex.

Reaction score
Me too, i also want to ask on data sim card. True, singtel dataroam 1gb do not cover Turkey which is such a waste as Singtel offers $20 credit per month for dataroam for combo 6 and above. I checked qoo10 and the prepaid sim card is so ex.

I got it at the airport but I got there early in the morning. Quite easy to get it downtown too. The main mobile operators have outlets in all the busy areas.

Reaction score
If you are alone and do not want to lose what you have drawn to pickpockets or scams, then take out enough for a few days, making sure you keep your atm card in a safe place. The $5 withdrawl fee is like the charge the bank levies for keeping your cash safe. If you have a companion or more to help look out for you, then I guess it is safe to draw a bit more.

Very good advice. There are ATM machines everywhere. I have a CIMB account - it allows for free withdrawals overseas. Therefore I withdraw just 1 day's need when I'm traveling and use credit cards wherever possible. I got pickpocketed on my last day in Istanbul - really my fault for being so careless, but I lost only around 50 lira (and an old wallet that I wanted to replace anyway).

wl_ling

Reaction score
I just got back from Turkey, had 84.85lira left and some credits left in Istanbulkart. Looking for people to take all for SGD35.

amelia80

Master Member
Reaction score

so must i call posb to activate some service so that my posb atm card can use overseas? or is it by default can use overseas?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.