The Hair Thread - Part 5

sansanjikikut

Master Member
Reaction score
anyone here gotten the new Morris Motley Balm CNY edition? its $51.91 SGD on Morris Motley website but apparently SGPomades brought it in and is selling at $50 SGD. Adding on their CNY storewide 10% off currently, it looks like a good steal

edit* sgpomades IG shows the all black tub inside the cny edition box, shouldn't it be a red tub?

just get it off Shopee for $35, even less if you apply discount code and coins. The limited edition is just a marketing gimmick by Morris Motley themselves. I have the all black tub and compared both the original, scent is completely the same. :)

$10 to $15 more just for a new design and red-colored (eeeww) tub?? No thanks

https://shopee.sg/Morris-motley-Treatment-Styling-Balm-Chrome-i.11263516.188515071

Last edited:

nichsong

Reaction score
Made in China. Same with Ubersuave, they actually took the effort to remove the "Made in China" wording on their latest packaging though. :s13:

Hahaha great on you to be taking note! One would be surprised to learn that a lot of brands garner feedback from us here on hwz. Maybe they saw the whole MIC thing that was going on here and decided to scrap it from their label. But they claim that the newly formulated products are less drying on the hair tho. Have yet to hear any news on that.

On a side note tho I don't think all things made in china means they are automatically lousy. Just so happened that some of the "local brand" products I've tried all get their products made from the same lab, and they dry out my hair like crazy.

sansanjikikut

Master Member
Reaction score
Nic, its not all china products are lousy but the fact that these so called 'big' sellers don't bother to do QC or even know their products inside out. I doubt they even use their own products and some of them can't even style a pomp for nuts and yet still have the cheek to provide youtubeable/googleable styling tips/advice. End of the day, its only the dollars that they care about.

On the other hand, i have utmost respect for sellers who are hair styling enthusiasts themselves and actually know their craft, hold fast not to competition, but respect for the trade itself.

Also notice this trend lately, G company approach multiple sellers on instagram\carousell and attempt to wholesale their white label products with enticing prices. These sellers, lured by the illusory profit, quickly commit to the 'good' deal and flood the already saturated market with G company products. I hope buyers are savvy enough to avoid these shitty brands.

nichsong

Reaction score
Nic, its not all china products are lousy but the fact that these so called 'big' sellers don't bother to do QC or even know their products inside out. I doubt they even use their own products and some of them can't even style a pomp for nuts and yet still have the cheek to provide youtubeable/googleable styling tips/advice. End of the day, its only the dollars that they care about.

On the other hand, i have utmost respect for sellers who are hair styling enthusiasts themselves and actually know their craft, hold fast not to competition, but respect for the trade itself.

Also notice this trend lately, G company approach multiple sellers on instagram\carousell and attempt to wholesale their white label products with enticing prices. These sellers, lured by the illusory profit, quickly commit to the 'good' deal and flood the already saturated market with G company products. I hope buyers are savvy enough to avoid these shitty brands.

Couldn't have said it better. There are only 2-3 local brands who are actually creating their own products. The rest are just all about the profit margin. Low cost MIC products, sell for a higher price. As most consumers are uneducated about product quality.. They tend to just go for whatever is cheap and whatever the product promises without doing prior research.

Sent from Samsung SM-G950F using GAGT

ecan07

Reaction score
Today i finally got to try the legendary MM Balm after it's delivered to me yesterday. Together with Ref 323 SSS, the end result is more than satisfactory so far! :) Thanks for all the recommendation!

I find that the MM balm did give me some vol on top of the SSS, and some shape. My hair is a problematic one, fine, thin, short/medium length.
It does weigh down after some time in the day, but does not go completely flat (which is good). Even when some wind blows my hair does not fly here and there even without spray. Usually with spray if the wind blows my whole hair flies up as though i'm wearing a wig :s13:

That said, i think need more time to know if it's really the best i had so far (used to love the quick sand). And one more litmus test for later, that is after workout! Although i doubt any product will work for me, cos I perspire too darn a lot, so the hair confirm go flat and thin after XD.

Extremme

Master Member
Reaction score
edit* sgpomades IG shows the all black tub inside the cny edition box, shouldn't it be a red tub?

just get it off Shopee for $35, even less if you apply discount code and coins. The limited edition is just a marketing gimmick by Morris Motley themselves. I have the all black tub and compared both the original, scent is completely the same. :)

$10 to $15 more just for a new design and red-colored (eeeww) tub?? No thanks

https://shopee.sg/Morris-motley-Treatment-Styling-Balm-Chrome-i.11263516.188515071

Thanks for sharing this link. Its really the cheapest for Morris Motley!!

sansanjikikut

Master Member
Reaction score
Today i finally got to try the legendary MM Balm after it's delivered to me yesterday. Together with Ref 323 SSS, the end result is more than satisfactory so far! :) Thanks for all the recommendation!

I find that the MM balm did give me some vol on top of the SSS, and some shape. My hair is a problematic one, fine, thin, short/medium length.
It does weigh down after some time in the day, but does not go completely flat (which is good). Even when some wind blows my hair does not fly here and there even without spray. Usually with spray if the wind blows my whole hair flies up as though i'm wearing a wig :s13:

That said, i think need more time to know if it's really the best i had so far (used to love the quick sand). And one more litmus test for later, that is after workout! Although i doubt any product will work for me, cos I perspire too darn a lot, so the hair confirm go flat and thin after XD.

You don't need a dubious brand, chemical heavy SSS with MM balm. Both products are not meant to complement each other, instead use half a dime size balm as prestyler and just blow dry. Finish off with usual dime size amount.

ecan07

Reaction score
You don't need a dubious brand, chemical heavy SSS with MM balm. Both products are not meant to complement each other, instead use half a dime size balm as prestyler and just blow dry. Finish off with usual dime size amount.

hmmm is that dubious brand? cos i see that being recommended quite a few times.
And MM balm as pre-styler? I tot it's bad as a pre-styler? So far what i read was SSS as prestyler then go finish with MM balm. But interesting, will try it when i get the chance to (though this method seems like will deplete my balm in no time)!

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
And MM balm as pre-styler? I tot it's bad as a pre-styler? So far what i read was SSS as prestyler then go finish with MM balm. But interesting, will try it when i get the chance to (though this method seems like will deplete my balm in no time)!

lol dubious brand.

i think what he's trying to say is you can use MM as a prestyler as well.

ask you save money, but then again, using MM more means finish faster.

same thing. for greater volume, use SSS. it help increases the hold.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

:s13:

:s22:

:s12:

ecan07

Reaction score
lol dubious brand.

i think what he's trying to say is you can use MM as a prestyler as well.

ask you save money, but then again, using MM more means finish faster.

same thing. for greater volume, use SSS. it help increases the hold.

yea, i also think this way i will finish my MM in no time! LOL

So far so good, 2nd day of using both SSS and MM gave me what i wanted.
Granted, i have no fancy hairstyle. I only like to give my hair some decent shape that doesn't look like it's thinning badly, so this combination works for me. Just natural, clean and neat can liao.

nichsong

Reaction score
There's no one solution works for all approach for hair styling! Everything works differently for different people. What SSS does is remove excess oil and give you a nice, grippy foundation for your post styling product. In my personal opinion SSS has been an absolute game changer when it came to my hairstyling routine, esp if i want big volume. More recently I've been using black label's Black mist (another sss) which is significantly less drying, but also means less grip. Been using mousse as well, which seems to work pretty good. You pretty much can't go wrong with any lightweight pre-styler.

nichsong

Reaction score
On the note of MM balm as a pre styler, I've seen some of MM's insta posts that say you can use it with cold air. Apparently hot air causes the product to melt and break down, which is not ideal for a good foundation. Personally haven't tried it tho, so can't comment. But happy with my current pre-styling routine

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
On the note of MM balm as a pre styler, I've seen some of MM's insta posts that say you can use it with cold air. Apparently hot air causes the product to melt and break down, which is not ideal for a good foundation. Personally haven't tried it tho, so can't comment. But happy with my current pre-styling routine

that's 100% legit.

but i feel using MM as prestyler makes the entire head feels heavy.

nichsong

Reaction score
that's 100% legit.

but i feel using MM as prestyler makes the entire head feels heavy.

Yeah that's what I believe too. Actually, it is the heat combined with the light holding properties of your pre-styler that gives you that solid foundation. Use a brush for better control. Can't stress enough how important pre-styling is if you want a voluminous hair style that lasts all day (or night). Think about the times you went to bed with towel dried hair and woke with your hair "styled" by your pillow. The drying process is what causes your hair to "listen" and behave differently from how it usually is (lying flat, for most of us asian hair types).

Back on the topic of MM as a pre-styler - since you can only really use it properly with cold air, you lose out on the heat which helps build your foundation. Theoretically speaking that means it may not be as effective as using heat + a separate pre-styler. Not to mention the weight as GX has said. Fine asian hair types are very sensitive to heavy products.

sansanjikikut

Master Member
Reaction score

It can't be that bad if its published by Morris Motley themselves. ;)

nichsong

Reaction score
It can't be that bad if its published by Morris Motley themselves. ;)

Oh yes correction here: low heat not cold air. But still my point is the same: it's heat that helps shape the foundation. The higher the heat, the more enhanced the results . Of course there is a delicate balance : u have to consistently check your own hair and figure out exactly how much heat it can take. I personally use a medium heat and fast speed. Might try the morris + low heat as pre-styler tactic in future to see how it goes!

-Mr.J-

Reaction score
Where can get cheapest Morris Motley Styling Balm now? Can find cheapest at Lazada at $38

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.