Chasing the Northern Lights - Iceland

swgj86

Master Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I didn’t change any cash in their currencies and went thru 9 days in Iceland with just credit card.

I used my livefresh dbs card. Though SG pin is 6 digit, you key in the first 4 digit can already. E.g 123456. The machine accepts 1234.

Iceland is a very credit card friendly country. Just make sure u have your pins ready for pump top up.

Been there twice and never change to their currencies at all.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Just use your 6 digit pin for the 4 digit one, it works. I only enter 4 digit almost everywhere.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Finnair having sale now for Reykjavik for only $899. Think that sounds really good

I went Europe with Finnair for $741.60 before and saw $700 before. So $899 isn't the best. But yes, Finnair tickets are comparatively cheaper. :s12:

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got finnair to Oslo for $604 last year. Then I bought a Icelandic air ticket with return for $220. So the cost is still slightly lower than $899.

899 to fly Iceland direct with a short transit is not bad. Just that u have to make sure u r able to drive after 17 hours of flight.

ksapple

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just use your 6 digit pin for the 4 digit one, it works. I only enter 4 digit almost everywhere.

i request UOB privimile to send me a pin, seems like they are the only card that knows what i am talking about lol.

But I am also taking my DBS debit card to see if it true (Reset the pin online)

Lastly KF amex lol just in case

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
i request UOB privimile to send me a pin, seems like they are the only card that knows what i am talking about lol.

But I am also taking my DBS debit card to see if it true (Reset the pin online)

Lastly KF amex lol just in case

I have no issues using DBS/SCB or cimb card. :s12:

djr81

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow.. u jin power..

Ppl here always ask reommendation places to catch northern light and u r the 1st to ask where to pick ip chicks :s13:

flying off to Iceland this coming sat any nightspot recommendation to pickup Icelandic chicks?

ksapple

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When is the best time to visit? I think April too late already.

Jus came back, i was there 15-20 mar, is already sort of spring liao rain and rain haha. But aurora is over lkaot. Still cold tho since iceland summer highest is 20c only

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When is the best time to visit? I think April too late already.

If aurora borealis is part of your aim(do note it is never guaranteed) Then mid August to Sept is a good date to travel. It is under the shoulder season where accommodation and car rentals won't charge so much higher like in the summer. Most of the roads and f roads are still open, u also have quite a long decent day time as the sunset is from 6pm from October onward and the most important, your travel plan won't be disrupted by snowy weather. Only concern should be the rainy weather.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I'm bias, since I went in Nov, would say November can catch it.
Mine was a 10 day round island trip, only saw it on the 9th night.
I have heard that the best country to catch it is Norway though.

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys/gals, apologies in advance if this is already covered. Planning on 8-9nights from 1st Sept. Still deciding between getting a normal car (and staying in hotels/bnbs) and just renting a campervan then sleep in the van.

During this period do we need 4x4 or just normal 2wd can liao?

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys/gals, apologies in advance if this is already covered. Planning on 8-9nights from 1st Sept. Still deciding between getting a normal car (and staying in hotels/bnbs) and just renting a campervan then sleep in the van.

During this period do we need 4x4 or just normal 2wd can liao?

It is autumn in iceland. So there is no issue on campervan driving. I saw a few campervan when i was in early oct last year. Do note that there are some attractions even in summer where it is never recommended for a camper van

if u need to go F-road, 4x4 is a MUST. Some gravel roads which is not a F road also need 4x4 to access such as the route to haifoss, gjain and Fjaðrárgljúfur canyon

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.