M1 FIBRE BROADBAND DISCUSSION - Part 2

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if M1 require return of the ONT equipment upon termination? And do they issue ONR now similar to Singtel?

Note: No comment from Mr "CEO" please.

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if M1 require return of the ONT equipment upon termination? And do they issue ONR now similar to Singtel?
Not sure whether need to return ONT, but I just had my 1Gbps installed few days ago and I received an ONT.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Its white one

Then should be this one:
Huawei-EchoLife-HG8240H-4GE-2POTSEPON-GPON-ONT.jpg_220x220.jpg

Hopefully by the time I replace mine, they would have switch to ONR instead. :D

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Then should be this one:
Huawei-EchoLife-HG8240H-4GE-2POTSEPON-GPON-ONT.jpg_220x220.jpg

Hopefully by the time I replace mine, they would have switch to ONR instead. :D

I much rather they don't . ISP like Singtel have an ONR that you cannot operate in bridge mode (turning off its router functionality) this forces you to use the ONR as the router unlike with an ONT you can choose you own router

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I much rather they don't . ISP like Singtel have an ONR that you cannot operate in bridge mode (turning off its router functionality) this forces you to use the ONR as the router unlike with an ONT you can choose you own router

Depend on individual needs and requirements. For me having a single routing device is more than sufficient. No idea how restrictive the Singtel ONR is, perhaps overtime they can release for more user-level functionality much like the old HG256/HG256s RG.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Unlikely to get ONR in near future.
M1 like to let user use their own router. They give user ONT so that user can get their own router that can have a better wifi coverage. M1 can also sell other router.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Depend on individual needs and requirements. For me having a single routing device is more than sufficient. No idea how restrictive the Singtel ONR is, perhaps overtime they can release for more user-level functionality much like the old HG256/HG256s RG.

My experience with the Singtel ONR is through helping a friend set up his network and I find it lacking in the following features. compared to a pfsense router I use.

• No Vpn server functionality. most consumer router will have a openVPN,PPTP VPN server available
  • no ability to change DNS server. you have to manually change the DNS server on you own devices
  • and plenty of pfsense specific packages
  • actual vlan support. Not the premade vlan tag for SingTel or other ISP.

even compared to a basic router bought from a store, the SingTel ONR is comparatively sparse. I can only think of one reason why a ISP will require you to use their own equipment. Its to prevent the user from making changes to their network and blaming the ISP for their problems. Even myrepublic is following that trend. Their halo router is also heavily locked down compared to other routers.

Last edited:

toffeelatte

Reaction score
My experience with the Singtel ONR is through helping a friend set up his network and I find it lacking in the following features. compared to a pfsense router I use.

• No Vpn server functionality. most consumer router will have a openVPN,PPTP VPN server available
  • no ability to change DNS server. you have to manually change the DNS server on you own devices
  • and plenty of pfsense specific packages
  • actual vlan support. Not the premade vlan tag for SingTel or other ISP.

even compared to a basic router bought from a store, the SingTel ONR is comparatively sparse. I can only think of one reason why a ISP will require you to use their own equipment. Its to prevent the user from making changes to their network and blaming the ISP for their problems. Even myrepublic is following that trend. Their halo router is also heavily locked down compared to other routers.
Which is the cheapest ASUS router that support openvpn?

dryteletubby

Reaction score

Not sure on cheapest Asus router but if you have an old laptop , desktop , raspberry pi lying around you can install openvpn server on it and it will likely outperform the openvpn server on your router.

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If you're comfortable flashing custom firmware on routers, you can try the RT-N56U on Padavan. Iirc there's OVPN Server function.

If not, the next best bet is probably the RT-AC58U or RT-N66U/AC66U (used).

Currently using RT-N66U over M1 Fibre, functions as the main router, switch and OVPN Server. Disabled PPTP VPN and AP function (AC1200G+ is used as AP instead).

toffeelatte

Reaction score
Not sure on cheapest Asus router but if you have an old laptop , desktop , raspberry pi lying around you can install openvpn server on it and it will likely outperform the openvpn server on your router.

Will a MacBook Pro suffice? I don’t have raspberry pi though, any alternative to that?

toffeelatte

Reaction score
If you're comfortable flashing custom firmware on routers, you can try the RT-N56U on Padavan. Iirc there's OVPN Server function.

Currently using RT-N66U over M1 Fibre, functions as the main router, switch and OVPN Server. Disabled PPTP VPN and AP function (AC1200G+ is used as AP instead).

I don’t mind. Can we flash on MacOS? What about Merlin? I thought of flashing before but my router doesn’t support it so I had to get the most affordable one for that function.

dryteletubby

Reaction score

I have used the RT-N56U before and with PPTP Vpn it can only manage 15-50Mbps. openVPN will probably be even slower considering openVPN is a CPU hog and the N56U has a 500mhz processor.

If you want to run a vpn on your router use L2TP/IPsec instead.

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don’t mind. Can we flash on MacOS? What about Merlin? I thought of flashing before but my router doesn’t support it so I had to get the most affordable one for that function.

I'm not very sure if ASUS Router firmware utility is available for macOS or not.

I know Windows can though.

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have used the RT-N56U before and with PPTP Vpn it can only manage 15-50Mbps. openVPN will probably be even slower considering openVPN is a CPU hog and the N56U has a 500mhz processor.

If you want to run a vpn on your router use L2TP/IPsec instead.

OpenVPN for ASUS RT-N66U is capped at 13Mbps too. PPTP VPN is much faster but less secure as well.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.