Sicily

sagemode

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I will be going to Sicily with my wife for our honeymoon and we intend to spend around 12 days there.
We will be travelling in April and will be renting a car. I have driven around Australia and New Zealand and this will be my first time driving on the opposite side of road.

Wondering if there is a tip for me to get use to driving on the opposite side?

Also wondering if anyone has recommendation of things to do in Sicily?
My wife and I enjoy exploring nature and taking things slowly

Thank you

Erwinlow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Definitely go to Mt Etna and Taormina. Catania was meh, very run-down. Palermo is nice, lots of history behind it. Food around Sicily is generally cheaper than other parts of Italy, seafood abundant and fresh.

Casa Stagnitta in Palermo has the best gelato and granita(it's a Sicily speciality).

belgarathc

Reaction score
Some of the Mt Etna tours combine a visit to a winery which you might be keen in. I think it would be cool if your visit happens to coincide with a concert at the Ancient Greek Theatre at Taormina. I did not drive at Sicily but did drive on the opposite side of the road in other countries. Just take it slow in the beginning until you get used to it. If 12 days are too many in Sicily, you can consider taking the car ferry over to Malta.

jarvis

Master Member
Reaction score
driving on the opp side is no big issue. Just remember that the driver is always away from the curb side.

What you do need to be more concerned about is (a) in Southern Italy, traffic lights are suggestions - at least that's how the locals treat them, and (b) google for ZTL otherwise you get fined.

I didn't spend that much time in Sicily so i'm not sure if the way they drive is similar to the southern part of Italy like Naples. If so, just because the traffic light is green in your favour does not mean it's safe to go. you still need to keep a look out for people who are not following the "suggestion".

Also, most Italian towns have ZTLs which is like our ERP - except that unless you have a resident's label on your car (which your rental will not), you will get fined if you enter that zone. Problem is that the signage is all in Italian and by the time you see the last sign, it's too late (just imagine you're already under the ERP gantry then where can you go). if you're following your GPS, it might just route you thru that as it's the shortest way.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.