Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefsteak

Master Member
Reaction score
Those are mostly from tourists. -> Alarm bell!. Tourists are the one who also think Ichiran is the best ramen in Japan!
I normally avoid any places that are popular with Tourists since most can't actually differentiate the average and the good.
And they don't have much information since most food websites are written in Japanese like Tabelog.
I been to Tsukiji 7 times. Then i ate sushi there for 3 times at my first 3 visits after that i don't bother eating there since i think their quality is average and not worth the time + Money

I think not all tourist can afford meals that cost 10k and above. Sushidai seems more affordable than those rated similar or better. Maybe that's why so many people go there.

Tabelog rated sushidai at 3.94. Shouldn't be that sucky I guess.
https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1313/A131301/13002388/

In fact I see those rating above 4 are mostly higher end restaurants and quite expensive.

Last edited:

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But Tabelog rated sushidai at 3.94. Shouldn't be that sucky right?
https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1313/A131301/13002388/

Maybe not the best sushi in tokyo. There are many better ones but all like above 10k yen. Seems like Sushidai is more affordable maybe that's why so many people go there.

There are a few that are rated above 4.00 and serve lunch menu below 10k Yen with no queuing required!
Sushi dai maybe 2 hours also not possible need 6 hours or so. In the past people start queue after midnight

Normally i aim for around 4.3 or so for sushi.

Beefsteak

Master Member
Reaction score

thwysg

Reaction score
Saito not possible to book. In 2013, i already want to go there but everything fully booked when call on the first day. Maybe need connection

Yes. Only by referrals and regular patrons. He mentioned it in some article I read some years ago.

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe can try ask your Hotel Concierge to help you make reservation?

I always use hotel concierge for restaurant reservations since i reserve restaurants for almost every night of my stay
But then Saito is not possible

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes. Only by referrals and regular patrons. He mentioned it in some article I read some years ago.

in Tokyo, the top 50 or so restaurants can survive just on the support of their regulars.

Even for me, I always visit certain favourite restaurants during my trips until the owner know my face, my name, my preference etc et

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe can go try
Saito
https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1308/A130802/13015251/
4.86 rating
Supposed best sushi in Tokyo?
The very best restaurants in Tokyo pretty much impossible for gaijins to get into liao. Unless you are like anyhowsaysay korkor, each year go 2-3 times each time stay hotel with good concierge. For the rest of us need to depend on whatever's covered in pocket-concierge.jp or tableall.com or tablecheck.com etc.

nemo88

Reaction score
want sushi better eat at jiro asap. he's 80+ alr

ASAP indeed his omakase meals are finished in under 15 mins! Not that I’ve been but I’ve heard from pp who do and they feel Jiro’s pace is ridiculously fast.

Bertrand Traore

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Those are mostly from tourists. -> Alarm bell!. Tourists are the one who also think Ichiran is the best ramen in Japan!
I normally avoid any places that are popular with Tourists since most can't actually differentiate the average and the good.
And they don't have much information since most food websites are written in Japanese like Tabelog.
I been to Tsukiji 7 times. Then i ate sushi there for 3 times at my first 3 visits after that i don't bother eating there since i think their quality is average and not worth the time + Money

Ahh cos i usually choose food rated 3.5 and above from tabelog. Sushi dai is 3.94 so o tot must be like dam awesome and worth the queue time :s13:

I ate at midori (3.58 i believe) during my last trip and thought the tuna was like heavenly already :s13: maybe cos im comparing to singapore’s standard

Hetheone

Reaction score
It all depends on what u like to eat for sushi....

All sushi is good if there r serve fresh n cuts well....
Different seasons serve different fishes from their coastline....
All fishes caught n able to serve within 24 hours.... Is always good...

As for high end sushi outlet... It all about able to eat among the top few best catch of the day. And the art of settling down the fishes and what other good ingredients to go with it.....
It hard to get seating is because most of the top chef... Their table only serve 6 or 7 person in one seating.
Usually got 2 or 3 customers per night, is consider a good taking for them....

Just like people will said a tuna is just a tuna... What so big deal about it...
Till u had a bite of a good piece of tuna.... U will understand why.....

Once u had a good chef to call and make a booking for u at other sushi shop....
U r gradually taking steps into their circle.... ( these shops r not expensive as they r not in for the commercial gains like the younger chef )

Hetheone

Reaction score
ASAP indeed his omakase meals are finished in under 15 mins! Not that I’ve been but I’ve heard from pp who do and they feel Jiro’s pace is ridiculously fast.

Not really that fast....
Could have they order the set meal...

Usually such places the chef will look the way u eat and continue serve u until u give them the signal that u r full....

In Jiro, beer is max two glasses.

Tornesoul

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Im thinking of dropping off luggage at dentetsu toyama, deliver to Nagano

but staying 1 day at murodo
https://www.alpen-route.com/en/transport_new/baggage.html

is it possible to collect 1 day ltr? and can i only reclaim 4pm to 8pm? or is this timing only for same day collection?

i assume if i collect the next day, anytime should be fine?

Opening hours / 9:00AM – 8:00PM

Mr.Canberra

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
in Tokyo, the top 50 or so restaurants can survive just on the support of their regulars.

Even for me, I always visit certain favourite restaurants during my trips until the owner know my face, my name, my preference etc et

This is what I like about Japan. To the non seasoned traveller to Japan it may seemed too exclusive. It is essentially the difficult barrier to gain access to many unique products and services that draws me to Japan time and time again.

Those who appreciate craftsmanship will naturally receive mutual respect from the artisan or chef. Not just because you are a good supportive customer but they know you appreciate their skill set and style. They do put in a lot of pride into their work.

Their marketing strategy is totally different from the rest of the world. X amount of quantity. Sold out means sold out. Just have to come back on another day or another launch date.

Once u had a good chef to call and make a booking for u at other sushi shop....
U r gradually taking steps into their circle.... (these shops r not expensive as they r not in for the commercial gains like the younger chef)

This is exactly what I have mentioned in my the above post. There are a lot of artisans, craftsmen, chefs in Japan who take their skill sets very seriously. It is like the samurai spirit. Practice till perfection.

Last edited:

lousydrinker

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone buy this tickets for travel in Osaka, Kyoto areas?

Is it recommended to get?

I m travelling there for 9 days this end march

http://www.surutto.com/tickets/kansai_thru_english.html

coldkey

Reaction score
Hey all. Im thinking of dropping off luggage at dentetsu toyama, deliver to Nagano

but staying 1 day at murodo
https://www.alpen-route.com/en/transport_new/baggage.html

is it possible to collect 1 day ltr? and can i only reclaim 4pm to 8pm? or is this timing only for same day collection?

i assume if i collect the next day, anytime should be fine?

Opening hours / 9:00AM – 8:00PM

If not same day, maybe can consider this and deliver to your next hotel.
http://www.global-yamato.com/en/hands-free-travel/scene02.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.