need help on home network setup

i-Movies

Reaction score
Below is the house layout.

2ev91e1.png

I am using Time Capsule in bridge mode, Wireless only.

I am able to get 500Mbps wireless download speed in living room and guest room.

For some reasons, multiple walls or build-in closets, both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signal and speed in the study room & master room are very poor, almost unusable. I have to use Homeplug to create a separate SSID in master room, OK to watch video on iPad.

I am trying to improve network performance in study room and master room, eg, download speed 500Mbps on Wireless AC.

I did a lot of researches about Mesh Routers, Orbi, Velop, Google, Eero, Amplifi, Lyra... Behind the nice TechBlog reviews, there are actually tonz of complaints about instability of Mesh Routers in their own support forums or public forums, none of them survives, the very common problem of those Mesh Routers is, network connection dropped frequently, you may have to reboot satellite or node regularly.

Someone suggested I can try Mesh Router, if not happy, just return it... I think the problem won't be thrown immediately, from what I learned in those forums, people started getting nuts after weeks/months.

I was thinking of Mesh because I don't want to re-wire the house, which brings a big mess for sure. But now, since Mesh solution looks so unreliable, I am open to any setup suggestion, including hacking wall/ceiling with minimal effect.

Can you guys suggest what is the easiest way to get 500Mbps wireless in study room? preferred single SSID/roaming if possible.

Thanks.

-Grift-

Reaction score

2ev91e1.png

For some reasons, multiple walls or build-in closets, both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signal and speed in the study room & master room are very poor, almost unusable. I have to use Homeplug to create a separate SSID in master room, OK to watch video on iPad.

I am trying to improve network performance in study room and master room, eg, download speed 500Mbps on Wireless AC.

I did a lot of researches about Mesh Routers, Orbi, Velop, Google, Eero, Amplifi, Lyra... Behind the nice TechBlog reviews, there are actually tonz of complaints about instability of Mesh Routers in their own support forums or public forums, none of them survives, the very common problem of those Mesh Routers is, network connection dropped frequently, you may have to reboot satellite or node regularly.

Someone suggested I can try Mesh Router, if not happy, just return it... I think the problem won't be thrown immediately, from what I learned in those forums, people started getting nuts after weeks/months.

I was thinking of Mesh because I don't want to re-wire the house, which brings a big mess for sure. But now, since Mesh solution looks so unreliable, I am open to any setup suggestion, including hacking wall/ceiling with minimal effect.

Can you guys suggest what is the easiest way to get 500Mbps wireless in study room? preferred single SSID/roaming if possible.

Thanks.
Can still get a mesh system and run it wirelessly and if connections are still dropping as you mentioned you can run them in ethernet backhaul mode which should still give you the roaming capabilities but with significantly higher throughout and stability.
So basically run mesh in wireless and if it’s not up to the task pull ethernet cables and run the same mesh system with ethernet instead of wireless backhaul

dryteletubby

Reaction score

2ev91e1.png

Thanks.

A hardwired AP will be the best option. For neater installation you could have a contractor lay the cables for you. Also you could make your homeplug broadcast the same ssid as your time capsule. Just lower the signal strength on both the time capsule and your homeplug so you devices can connect to the one with the stronger signal strength.

i-Movies

Reaction score
Can still get a mesh system and run it wirelessly and if connections are still dropping as you mentioned you can run them in ethernet backhaul mode which should still give you the roaming capabilities but with significantly higher throughout and stability.
So basically run mesh in wireless and if it’s not up to the task pull ethernet cables and run the same mesh system with ethernet instead of wireless backhaul

so the ideal solution is still to wire the house, which means breaking wall and doing renovation

i-Movies

Reaction score
A hardwired AP will be the best option. For neater installation you could have a contractor lay the cables for you. Also you could make your homeplug broadcast the same ssid as your time capsule. Just lower the signal strength on both the time capsule and your homeplug so you devices can connect to the one with the stronger signal strength.

i hate the homeplug...

both suggested wiring the house... this is my last last option, people live in the house, not easy to do the decoration

i-Movies

Reaction score

btw, i heard noise that even ethernet backhaul causes Mesh connection dropped or unreachable. sounds like Mesh system bug, are all these Mesh products using the same Core base? Why do they have similar problem?

i-Movies

Reaction score
Else. Change the time capsule to a stronger AP + some repositioning of AP

i actually thought about, but i am wondering how much a monster router can help, my goal is to get 500Mbps in the study room.

the picture i drew isn't scaling well, study room (#3a/#3b) is actually quite far away from time capsule (#2)

dryteletubby

Reaction score
i actually thought about, but i am wondering how much a monster router can help, my goal is to get 500Mbps in the study room.

the picture i drew isn't scaling well, study room (#3a/#3b) is actually quite far away from time capsule (#2)

All WiFi devices have their signal transmission power restricted by law. Don't fall for the advertistment showing routers with a million antennas that claim better WiFi range.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so the ideal solution is still to wire the house, which means breaking wall and doing renovation

Wiring along the walls do not need to do any hacking or breaking the walls itself.

The cables are inside the trucking and can run along like skirting either top bottom as you wish.

The cost of 1 connection from each end with data points cost varies to around $107 depend on the contractor, including ISP contractors or others.
The cost can include ethernet cables and data points at both end with the length is usually for standard HDB flat.

This will definitely give a better speed performance as there will not be any drop or problematic connection.

JustDoLor

Reaction score
Heard of MoCA? I m not expert of it, but you can search HWZ forum for more info.

i-Movies

Reaction score
Heard of MoCA? I m not expert of it, but you can search HWZ forum for more info.

yes, heard about it long time ago, didn't pay extra attention to it because, if i remembered, the speedtest on lan wasn't very attractive, around 200-300Mbps something? maybe it is improved today i am not too sure, if it is able to provide 1Gbps throughput, I will give it a try, at least I got coax in every room.

i-Movies

Reaction score
Wiring along the walls do not need to do any hacking or breaking the walls itself.

The cables are inside the trucking and can run along like skirting either top bottom as you wish.

The cost of 1 connection from each end with data points cost varies to around $107 depend on the contractor, including ISP contractors or others.
The cost can include ethernet cables and data points at both end with the length is usually for standard HDB flat.

This will definitely give a better speed performance as there will not be any drop or problematic connection.

Like how they run Fibre in the house? honestly speaking, the white trunking doesn't look nice to me...

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
erh....why want 500mbps to watch video? are u running a 8k videos on wifi?

i-Movies

Reaction score
erh....why want 500mbps to watch video? are u running a 8k videos on wifi?

Not for watching video :)
I plan to move home office to the study room (used to be the corner of living room), I need fast and stable network connectivity.

i-Movies

Reaction score

do you have contact of any good contractors who are doing home wiring? may want to check with them if they provide any other solution to hide cable instead of trunking.

thanks

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
do you have contact of any good contractors who are doing home wiring? may want to check with them if they provide any other solution to hide cable instead of trunking.

thanks

Sorry as i only rely on ISP Starhub contractor to do networking for me.
They did it in my previous past flat by means of trunking along top and bottom of the wall and a tiny gap or hole of the bedroom door to inside.
And recently did a telephone point conversion to data point as my new BTO HDB tel point is using Cat-6 cable.

There is a list somewhere here in these forums, need to search or someone may able to provide as they had done before.

Maybe see if anyone can response to you here.

Regards.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.