Asus Aimesh allows some existing user to create mesh.

osmond19

Reaction score
Shld I RMA my local warranty AC68U? How is the RMA of Asus router process like?

My warranty ends ard June this year and I realised after Aimesh or the latest firmware, my last lan port is no longer working... Try it in Aimesh and repeater mode, when I plug in the last lan port to a PC, no response but perfectly working for the rest of 3 lan ports.

Is it cos of Asus screwing up the latest or Aimesh firmware or the port just went faulty due to old age...

Last edited:

m0neytree

Reaction score
i was on Aimesh previously. But the roaming doesnt seem to be promising. Playing game or watching videos on my phone while roaming from one router to another, either the game got kicked out or the video stuck at the loading state. Anyone facing the same issue? or the seamless roaming works perfectly fine? please do share your experience.

PS my setup was AC88U (main) and AC68U (node). Wired backhaul. :/

osmond19

Reaction score
i was on Aimesh previously. But the roaming doesnt seem to be promising. Playing game or watching videos on my phone while roaming from one router to another, either the game got kicked out or the video stuck at the loading state. Anyone facing the same issue? or the seamless roaming works perfectly fine? please do share your experience.

Dun seems to be 100% seamless and u can see your WiFi disconnect and connect back. At least u dun hv to do it manually. Is there any mesh that 100% seamless? Dun think so right?

dryteletubby

Reaction score

Asus is vague on how they provide "seamless roaming" some higher end access points do 802.11r/k to improve WiFi roaming but it depends on the client to be supported as well. Most likely for Asus is just that both mesh units broadcast the same ssid and its up to your device to choose.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup, depending on how aggressive your devices "hunt/scan" for Wi-Fi signals, the roaming behavior can be different across different device. Generally the handover would completed in milliseconds to give the illusion of "seamless"

stam

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Same issue on my side, when from 1 router to another will experience the breaking off.

Anyone with other types of mesh can verify if it’s really seamless?

Errz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i have a ASUS RT-AC88U. which asus model would u guys recommend to add on as Aimesh

osmond19

Reaction score
i have a ASUS RT-AC88U. which asus model would u guys recommend to add on as Aimesh

Probably wait for the Aimesh firmware to be stable first... The current latest firmware isn't stable... The node will keep on going offline and even my 4th lan port is not working. I just reset the node and test it out as a normal router. The lan port is working again...

rapcon

Reaction score
I couldnt understand why the best router must be the main.
I thought the node needs to handle backhaul. Therefore, by giving the node a tri-band router, we can have 5G for transmit and 5G for backhaul.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I couldnt understand why the best router must be the main.
I thought the node needs to handle backhaul. Therefore, by giving the node a tri-band router, we can have 5G for transmit and 5G for backhaul.

Hmmm... I thought it's the other way round ? By having a dedicated wireless band from the main router (source), you provide the node with its own pipeline rather than sharing with other devices.

osmond19

Reaction score
Hmmm... I thought it's the other way round ? By having a dedicated wireless band from the main router (source), you provide the node with its own pipeline rather than sharing with other devices.
It makes sense for the router to be the most powerful one as it is the only path to process the traffic... The node job is just to pass the traffic over to the client and waiting for instructions and reply to the router?

osmond19

Reaction score
After days of testing, my Aimesh is working strangely. I'm using wireless backhaul and my node is working fine if I set my 2.4ghz and 5ghz as 40mhz bandwidth and must be channel 44 for 5ghz. It will still occasionally goes offline but will also auto recover without reboot the node.

I did try to change to channel 40 but the node died within minutes and won't recover till rebooting the node. And soon the node will die again...

So far, from snbforums, Aimesh is really very unstable aka like beta version... Merlin from Asus also claiming that the team is trying to fix the stability issues as well as when Mac filter is turning on issues.

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After days of testing, my Aimesh is working strangely. I'm using wireless backhaul and my node is working fine if I set my 2.4ghz and 5ghz as 40mhz bandwidth and must be channel 44 for 5ghz. It will still occasionally goes offline but will also auto recover without reboot the node.

I did try to change to channel 40 but the node died within minutes and won't recover till rebooting the node. And soon the node will die again...

So far, from snbforums, Aimesh is really very unstable aka like beta version... Merlin from Asus also claiming that the team is trying to fix the stability issues as well as when Mac filter is turning on issues.

Are u maintaining separate ssid?

So far mine has been good (fingers crossed) since early Feb with 2 units of AC5300. Single SSID, basically I let Asus decides what's best cuz I did meet multiple issues when I tried to manage the ssid/channels and bandwidth. Issues like the backhaul links on 2.4ghz instead of 5 and my devices randomly disconnects.

Running solid and stable since then, roams freely around my home. Compared to like a full fledged mesh linksys velop it's still lacks behind the customisation but I think perf wise + more lan ports on the asus routers makes life simpler :D

osmond19

Reaction score
Are u maintaining separate ssid?

So far mine has been good (fingers crossed) since early Feb with 2 units of AC5300. Single SSID, basically I let Asus decides what's best cuz I did meet multiple issues when I tried to manage the ssid/channels and bandwidth. Issues like the backhaul links on 2.4ghz instead of 5 and my devices randomly disconnects.

Running solid and stable since then, roams freely around my home. Compared to like a full fledged mesh linksys velop it's still lacks behind the customisation but I think perf wise + more lan ports on the asus routers makes life simpler :D
Yup I hv 2 different ssid for 2.4 and 5g. The strange thing is that currently, the node will still go offline in every 2hrs++ to 4hrs++ which I can see from the wireless log but it will come back online again in few minutes time without rebooting.

Maybe I will try to one single ssid to monitor. How do u choose 2.4 or 5g as backhaul? From the wireless log, I can see that the router n the node are connected on both 2.4 and 5g based on the Mac address.

infernolord

Reaction score
Dun seems to be 100% seamless and u can see your WiFi disconnect and connect back. At least u dun hv to do it manually. Is there any mesh that 100% seamless? Dun think so right?

Did you manage to resolve ?
Someone mentioned the internet still unstable even wired the asus router ? i.e link AC68 to AC88... Now i am thinking if i should just get the mesh system instead.
:s22:

osmond19

Reaction score
Did you manage to resolve ?
Someone mentioned the internet still unstable even wired the asus router ? i.e link AC68 to AC88... Now i am thinking if i should just get the mesh system instead.
:s22:
I guess have to wait for the stable firmware from Asus. From SNB forum which the Asus developers are there too saying they are working on the stability issue with Aimesh now.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/official-release-aimesh-firmware-v3-0-0-4-384-20308-for-all-supported-products.44375/page-31

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I must be super luck cos I have none these "unstable" issues :s13:

RT-AC5300 ( 3 SSID, default settings ) - aimesh - RT-AC68U ( 2 SSID )

rescapind

Reaction score
Yup I hv 2 different ssid for 2.4 and 5g. The strange thing is that currently, the node will still go offline in every 2hrs++ to 4hrs++ which I can see from the wireless log but it will come back online again in few minutes time without rebooting.

Maybe I will try to one single ssid to monitor. How do u choose 2.4 or 5g as backhaul? From the wireless log, I can see that the router n the node are connected on both 2.4 and 5g based on the Mac address.

We can set the wireless backhaul to be on 2.4 or 5?

osmond19

Reaction score
We can set the wireless backhaul to be on 2.4 or 5?
Cannot, it is automated by the router. Since I have 2 separated SSIDs and from the wireless log, I can see that both 2.4 and 5g are connected to the main router/ node.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.