NUS - Data Science and Analytics

NPNTBoy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Got more info about the internship part?

it's labelled as co-op education by nus. it allows students from infosec, ba and dsa to embark on an 18 months internship(3 UPIP, 1 applied honours project - aka PI).

it's only offered to students matriculating in AY17/18 and onwards. when the freshmen first enter uni, i believe they'll be asked to indicate their preference for this programme. afterwards, the stats department will try to find accommodating co-op companies for them.. im not sure if the students can self-source tho.

students will apply to the internship positions in y2s2 and this 18-month internship will start during their y2 summer vacation.

Anyone have gone for the welcome tea? Can tell me some details?

details on what... i think they'd email you the slides if you have indicated your preference to attend the talk.

Hi TS & all,

I will be matriculating this coming Aug as a freshmen to DSA. But I'm quite lost as to the kind of mods recommended to bid for Y1S1/S2?

I have been pre-allocated with 2 mods (GER1000 & DSA1101) so I would need to bid for 3 more modules. I have not declared any additional majors/minors, should I?

What are the 3 modules do seniors have to recommend...? :(

ma1101r, ma1102 and cs1010s...

the only mod that you probably would spend more time on is cs1010s if you're rather new to programming languages. else, you might want to substitute of the above core mods with 1/2 GE mods(i recommend GEH1043. it's fun and only offered in sem 1).

NPNTBoy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I like coding a lot ahaha. Orbital also seemed kinda fun when I did it this holiday break. But CS is probably way deeper than what I'm experiencing now so I don't know if I should just stay or jump to try out in CS. Furthermore, I might end up wanting to work as a software engineer or something related to CS if I don't get enough experience to be a data scientist.

go write a blog or create some application/product to boost employability loh..

I have a feeling that this field is going to be dominated by prcs...

and ahnehs...

Darkzi0n

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it's labelled as co-op education by nus. it allows students from infosec, ba and dsa to embark on an 18 months internship(3 UPIP, 1 applied honours project - aka PI).

it's only offered to students matriculating in AY17/18 and onwards. when the freshmen first enter uni, i believe they'll be asked to indicate their preference for this programme. afterwards, the stats department will try to find accommodating co-op companies for them.. im not sure if the students can self-source tho.

students will apply to the internship positions in y2s2 and this 18-month internship will start during their y2 summer vacation.

details on what... i think they'd email you the slides if you have indicated your preference to attend the talk.

ma1101r, ma1102 and cs1010s...

the only mod that you probably would spend more time on is cs1010s if you're rather new to programming languages. else, you might want to substitute of the above core mods with 1/2 GE mods(i recommend GEH1043. it's fun and only offered in sem 1).

Thanks for the info. Will tell my sup and hr to get on board

NPNTBoy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
well, kinda expected:s22:...

not many international students besides ah tiongs ah neh viets eh?

anyway what do you think of the major so far?

i've only been through the first year so i can't comment much on the overall course..

Nowadays not alot already. Mostly local straight A elite students only. Your observation is in the past when computing still not hot field yet

:s13::s13::s13:

xWildFangz

Reaction score
Jus wanna know how many students in this major each year? and men and women percentage?

For demographic trends in this major, you should email the department directly.
I'm pretty sure they will be able to give more accurate answers.

ScarletQueen

Reaction score
I just saw in the prospectus that in order to get into this major needs very strong mathematics year 12. Is the math in this major very hard? Because other majors only state year 12 mathematics but in DS column it has the words 'very strong'. That's why I'm rethinking about this now. Thank you.

Darkzi0n

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wat is year 12 math? u from which country one?

anyway, i believe all majors that requires u to take lvl2000 and above math module probably will need 'very strong' math.

if u r a typical Alvl H2 math student, u r not prepared for uni math - that being said, it dosnt mean u cant do well in it.

mgx-alander

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ehhh.. you from what generation one? The percentage of foreigners in computing nowadays only about 20% leh. Quoted by prof Ben Leong one. Cannot be wrong

i am class of 2014... 20%? :s13:

when i am year 4, the current graduating batch today are in year 1

so u must be kidding me that there are not alot of Ftrash in nus soc

NPNTBoy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Probably around 60 new freshmen will join this year's August intake~

unhinged_loon

Reaction score
hello! j2 student here interested in data science.. have a few qns..

i researched on the modules a bit, found out that the math is quite essential and there is a lot of coding(compared to courses like bizanalyst). tbh my math(esp calculus) is not good and coding seems scary to me (tried abit of python) and i have little confidence in these 2 areas. will it be a big issue?

(if yes then i will be considering biz analytics but many say that its generalised and doesnt have good career prospects...)

what programmes do yall learn/use in uni?

how vigorous is the cirriculum and the difficulty of the modules?

also, if possible, can share some papers/notes on the DSA/CS modules so i can get a feel of what the whole course is actually about ?

sry for lengthy post, hope yall can help thx :)

Mathematics needed for data science:
Probability (discrete, continuous, Bayesian inference, etc)
Statistics (classical inference, hypotheses testing, etc)
Single variable calculus
Multivariable calculus
Optimization (linear programming, nonlinear programming, etc)

If you can't master the JC level material for single variable calculus, multivariable calculus will kill you. The rest of the mathematics will fly over your head.

Last edited:

mgx-alander

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
math cui better dun take, nus math is cut throat and pwned by ah tiongs

not csb .. i am a sinkie who have nv gotten any thing above B- for MA mods (and my math is cui)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.