On 1Gbps plan but speedtest only shows ~90Mbps

bjornng

Master Member
Reaction score
hey guys, facing some funny thing now.

i am on SH 1Gbps plan, am on lan connection now. when i try speedtest.net, my download/upload speed is merely ~90Mbps. is it some issue with starhub side now?

previously i've checked (randomly) and it was usually 900Mbps. currently using Asus AC68U with merlin firmware 380.68.4.

this is the setting i got from my ASUS router site:

3OuEC3f.png

i am on LAN 1. but i'm confused though.. how come WAN is 100 Mbps? WAN is connecting from my ONT to my router, right?

Last edited:

paul02

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

i am on SH 1Gbps plan, am on lan connection now. when i try speedtest.net, my download/upload speed is merely ~90Mbps. is it some issue with starhub side now?

previously i've checked (randomly) and it was usually 900Mbps. currently using Asus AC68U with merlin firmware 380.68.4.

If you changed plan recently, it might take some time.

LAN (cable) directly from router to laptop/computer?

bjornng

Master Member
Reaction score
If you changed plan recently, it might take some time.

LAN (cable) directly from router to laptop/computer?

not really, already >6 months. previously i check it was always ~900Mbps.

LAN directly from router to PC, you are right.

3OuEC3f.png

i am on LAN 1. but i'm confused though.. how come WAN is 100 Mbps? WAN is connecting from my ONT to my router, right?

paul02

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
not really, already >6 months. previously i check it was always ~900Mbps.

LAN directly from router to PC, you are right.

3OuEC3f.png

I am no expert so I speak from experience. Did you update the firmware recently? If so, try downgrading.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

3OuEC3f.png

Ensure you are wired connect direct to ONT Port-1 for internet.

Usually ONT Port-2 is reserved for IPTV which is at 100mbps.

Do restart both ONT and Router.

Edit:
Ensure the LAN cable is secured properly by remove and re-insert.

bjornng

Master Member
Reaction score
Ensure you are wired connect direct to ONT Port-1 for internet.

Usually ONT Port-2 is reserved for IPTV which is at 100mbps.

Do restart both ONT and Router.

Edit:
Ensure the LAN cable is secured properly by remove and re-insert.

Hey bro, thanks for your reply! Now it is back to 1Gbps ; I restarted both ONT and router. ONT was connected to Port 1 all along.

But I am curious bro. How come this happened? I didn't change any settings at all. Only thing I noticed was on Lan 2 of my router was an Aztech 500mbps homeplug (not sure who put it there) , but as you can see it's also only 100mbps.

I updated from official firmware to merlin few months ago - might it be because of that?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey bro, thanks for your reply! Now it is back to 1Gbps ; I restarted both ONT and router. ONT was connected to Port 1 all along.

But I am curious bro. How come this happened? I didn't change any settings at all. Only thing I noticed was on Lan 2 of my router was an Aztech 500mbps homeplug (not sure who put it there) , but as you can see it's also only 100mbps.

I updated from official firmware to merlin few months ago - might it be because of that?

Merlin’s firmware does not cause a drop in lan speed. There is a good chance your cables might be faulty, leading to short circuiting or the ONT itself is faulty..

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Actually just need to unplug the lan cable from the computer. Then plug in lan cable. It will be ok.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Normally the Router connection speed would drop to the the lowest range in order for to provide the connection for that particular LAN port.

Meaning if any of the LAN port drop to 100 Mbps then the overall speed of the router will be at 100mbps as indicated in the WAN port.

Whereas other LAN port may not be affected as it still show 1 Gbps.

This is why ONT Ports are not fully utilize for in Starhub.
As ONT Port-2 is mainly reserve for IPTV which is 100 Mbps.
A separate Port for different connection speed &or purpose.

Regards.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Normally the Router connection speed would drop to the the lowest range in order for to provide the connection for that particular LAN port.

Meaning if any of the LAN port drop to 100 Mbps then the overall speed of the router will be at 100mbps as indicated in the WAN port.

Regards.

Actually even if speed dropped it will not affect the user much. 100 Mbps is quite sufficient.

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I don't think this is correct info.
All the ports (wan/lan) have independent link speeds. A 100Mbps connection on one of the LAN ports should never cause the WAN port or other LAN port to change to the same.
I have 100Mbps connection on one of my ac68 lan port and the wan and other lan ports still link at 1000Mbps.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All the ports (wan/lan) have independent link speeds. A 100Mbps connection on one of the LAN ports should never cause the WAN port or other LAN port to change to the same.
I have 100Mbps connection on one of my ac68 lan port and the wan and other lan ports still link at 1000Mbps.

Oic.

A restart on the ONT and Router would resolve this connection issue...

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I think it is the notebook lan port that has issue. I had this issue a few times and i will just plug out and plug in the lan cable to resolve the issue.

Godeau

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you have another ethernet cable to try and see if the link state for wan is still 100Mbps?

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you have another ethernet cable to try and see if the link state for wan is still 100Mbps?
TS restart ONT and router to resolve the issue. If live in big house this method is not so convenient as you do not want to go up and down. Plug the Lan cable out of the notebook and plug in again to resolve the issue is easier.

Last edited:

bjornng

Master Member
Reaction score
TS restart ONT and router to resolve the issue. If live in big house this method is not so convenient as you do not want to go up and down. Plug the Lan cable out of the notebook and plug in again to resolve the issue is easier.

yeah i live in landed, 2 storey. i didnt face this issue at all except this - after that reset, i've been checking daily and seems like all is ok now.

i think the main thing is the WAN port speed ba, no matter how much your cable can take, it will still follow the max WAN speed. but no idea how come this error occurred also..

chaozhouzi

Reaction score
I have had a similar problem previously. I am on 1Gbps and always getting 100Mbps all the time on speedtest.net. Called M1 and the technical staff told me they had checked their backend and were getting 1Gbps. Fixed appointment to check my home's connections. Before the appointment, on a whim I decided to change the ONT to router UTP cable to a newer one and boom speed went up to 1Gbps.

bjornng

Master Member
Reaction score
just connected to a new PC. checked my router and WAN 0 goes back down to 100Mbps again..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.