MoCA Network Setup | Ethernet over TV cable

candrox

Reaction score
Or how to use your TV cables for your home internet network!

########################################################
#### STORY ##############################################

I recently switched from Starhub 100Mbps Cable Broadband to ViewQwest 1Gbps Fibre Broadband and with that change I also wanted to solve my annoying WiFi connectivity issues whilst using the actual bandwidth I'm paying my internet service provider for. The only way to get fast internet to my computer in a room that it furthest away from the fibre termination point in the living room was via wired connection.

Unfortunately, my building does not have Ethernet wiring and I'm not really interested in having any cables lying lose between rooms. I haven't made any good experience with PowerLine devices in the past (Ethernet over electrical wiring) or with Mesh WiFi and the only other thing I stumbled across was MoCA technology - which finally solved all my issues and gives me around 950Mbps internet access over my existing TV cables.

In a nutshell, MoCA allows you to use your TV cables for your computer network.

Here is my current setup at home with fibre internet provided by ViewQwest. You can see the MoCA devices connect my router and computers over my TV cables.

W6b26c6.jpg

#### FUNDAMENTALS #######################################

MoCA stands for 'Multimedia over Coax Alliance'. The technology behind that term allows the distribution of ethernet data over the existing in-home coaxial TV cabling. Simply said, it can convert a Ethernet signal to run over coaxial cables. MoCA networking can co-exist with video data on the same coax cable. There are several MoCA versions:

• MoCA 1.0 ---> 100 Mbit/s
• MoCA 1.1 ---> 175 Mbit/s
• MoCA 2.0 ---> 500 Mbit/s
• MoCA 2.0 bonded ---> 1.0 Gbp/s
• MoCA 2.1 ---> 500 Mbit/s
• MoCA 2.1 bonded ---> 1.0 Gbp/s
• MoCA 2.5 ---> 2.5 Gbp/s

#### POE FILTER ###########################################

In order for MoCA to work, a 'Point Of Entry Filter' needs to be installed into the main coax TV cable. This can either be done at the cable entry point into your premises (such as a riser cabinet) or within your flat in a cable distribution box where the coax splitter is.

The filter simply blocks MoCA data from leaving your network and going back into your cable providers network or your neighbours network, where it likely will interfere with the network or system elements.

An easy way is also to disconnect the main TV cable in your flat if no other service is used - just ensure to add a 75 Ohm terminator cap to your coax splitter.

Either ways - one solution is mandatory! You want to ensure that your network traffic stays within your own home and cable wiring. For me, Starhub installed the POE filter in the riser cabinet free of cost - the filter used is a 'Soontai LPF-1002M3'.

A4hE5A9.jpg

w5AXG0W.jpg

#### COAX SPLITTER ########################################

Depending on your home network you may have more than one coax cable outlet. If so, it is most likely that a 'coax splitter' is used that distributes the signal to multiple places. A coax splitter has one input (usually labelled "IN") where the provider signal enters the splitter and at least two outputs where the signal leaves the splitter to go to different TV outlets.

Most coax splitter have a frequency band filter built in and a label on the splitter indicating the frequency band (for example '5-1000 Mhz'). This means, that the splitter blocks any frequencies outside of this range in any direction. Whilst MoCA operates some frequency bands above this range it should not affect the performance in any meaningful way.

If you happen to encounter issues you can try to replace the coax splitter with another frequency band model such as '5-1500 Mhz' or '5-1750 Mhz'. Another issue might be that the coax splitter in use is extremely old and has ferite cores instead of an integrated circuits - these should be replaced as well. In any case, you can find modern replacement splitters in Sim Lim Square #03-69 at 'UF Technology'.

ygzDpjK.jpg

Old coax splitters - which should be replaced:
epKleDF.jpg

#### CONNECTIVITY ########################################

I used RG-6 coax cables and Ethernet CAT6 cables for my home network in order to minimise any potential cabeling issues. Bespoke length RG-6 cables can be ordered in Sim Lim Tower #02-25 at 'LHS Electronics Enterprise' and I found decent quality Ethernet CAT6 cables in Sim Lim Square #04-01 at 'Cybermind'. I also tried to avoid any additional connectors (such as 90° F-type connectors) on my coax cables.

#### MOCA DEVICES ########################################

According to my research in August 2017, the most recommended and discussed MoCA device on the internet is the 'Actiontec ECB6200 Bonded MoCA 2.0' which promises speeds up to 1Gbps. I ordered directly from Amazon Prime in the first days of the Singapore launch and the package arrived a few hours later. It includes the following:

• 2x Actiontec ECB6200 MoCA devices (120 x 65 x 26 mm)
• 2x AC Adapter (ADP #WA-10P05FU, US Plug Type A 100-240V, 1.3mm connector 5V DC/2A)
• 2x RG6 coax cable (Male F connectors, black, 50cm)
• 2x CAT5E ethernet cable (RJ45 connectors, yellow, 100cm)
• 1x Starburst Technologies 2-way coaxial splitter (5-1675Mhz)

Replacement AC adaptors with a UK Plug Type G 3 pin for Singapore can be bought in Sim Lim Tower #01-05 at 'Ask Electronic' or at #B1-36B at 'IDO Technologies' but the easier solution is just to use a fused adapter.

lfChtmN.jpg

I personally do not recommend any of the advertised DirectTV devices. First, the power adapter is built with an US plug and ONLY operates at 120 Volts. Second, the devices can not co-exist with any video signal as they operate on the same frequency as your TV signal. And in my tests the internet transfer speeds I reached were at maximum ~65Mbps on my 1Gbs internet connection. Use a dedicated MoCA solution!

1hbP5t7.jpg

#### ECB6200 WEBINTERFACE #################################

Whilst the Actiontec ECB6200 is a 'plug-and-play' device that doest not require any setup it still can be accessed via a web interface in order to gather more device information. Here are the steps:

• Unplug all cables connected to the Actiontec ECB6200
• Connect the ECB6200 to power and ensure that the 'Power' LED lights up
• Connect your computer via Ethernet cable to the ECB6200
• Set your computers Ethernet IP address to 192.168.144.10
• Set your computers gateway IP address to 192.168.144.1
• Start a browser and open 192.168.144.30

The interface is quite minimalistic with no real configuration options. Here are my default device details for the curious:

Device Info
• Board ID: 6802ECB
• SW Version: 2.11.1.50.6200.7
• RF Channel: 1150
• Band: Band D Extended

Configuration
• MoCA Password: xxxxxx
• MoCA Privacy: Disable
• RF Band: Band D Extended
• RF Switch: Hi

#### LINKS ###############################################

Before you jump into turning your home network over please check out the links below to get a better understanding and idea if MoCA works for your home network.

MoCA Technology
http://www.drmoron.org/tv-moca/
http://millennials1st.house/blog/a-sip-of-moca

Coax Splitter
http://cable-connector.sg/page_127.html

ActionTec ECB6200

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=actiontec-moca2-network
http://wegotserved.com/2015/12/10/r...ess-network-extender-adapter-bonded-moca-2-0/
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Networ...work-Extender-and-ECB6200-Network-Adapter-Rev

Other Stuff
http://support.channelmaster.com/hc...ch-Signal-Do-I-Lose-Going-Through-A-Splitter-
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...moca-ethernet-over-coax-adapters-3310854.html
http://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/moca-networking-splitter-type.519676/
http://www.tivocommunity.com/commun...tible-splitter-killing-internet-speed.547686/

Last edited:

manyu882

Master Member
Reaction score
Another tip: 1150 MHz is the default frequency in order to reduce attenuation.

If attenuation is not an issue, U can increase your frequency to to somewhere 1400 - 1500 to hit the close to the designed throughput.

zuoom

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thought for small local area, all went the usual cat5e. Only for those that need distance and usually point to point use the coax. Which cost more.

terry1

Reaction score
Thought for small local area, all went the usual cat5e. Only for those that need distance and usually point to point use the coax. Which cost more.

because the infrastructure is already set up and it is not utilised: most of us are either watching local channels through the miotv/starhub/m1 set-top boxes or receiving the channels through the free-to-air antennae so you may use these sockets on the wall faceplates to transmit data instead. and the devices to do so are relatively cheap, less than us$20 :D

more information here http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/106346031-post128.html

s-l300.png

DCAPR0-01_zoom.jpg

Last edited:

candrox

Reaction score
I personally do not recommend any of the advertised DirectTV devices here on the forum. First, the power adapter is built with an US plug and only operates at 120 Volts. Second, the devices can not co-exist with any video signal as they operate on the same TV frequency spectrum between 500-850MHz. And in my tests the transfer speeds I reached were at maximum around 65Mbps.

terry1

Reaction score
actually quite a few of us are using the directtv devices already and with no problems at all. and most of all, it is cheap: less than $20 :D

at this moment i am using the directtv device to connect to my computer to write this :D

Dorkrules

Reaction score
Hi is this thread about the cable directtv now?

actually quite a few of us are using the directtv devices already and with no problems at all. and most of all, it is cheap: less than $20 :D

at this moment i am using the directtv device to connect to my computer to write this :D

i-Movies

Reaction score
I am not clear about this setup,

1. do I need POE Filter?

2. the internet entry is in living room, if i want to have ethernet access in all of the other 3 rooms, do I have to
2.1. place a 1-to-4 splitter in living room coax point
2.2. connect living room Starhub set-top box to one of output
2.3. connect 3 MoCA adaptors to the other 3 output, then connect to Router's GE ports

3. In other rooms, connect MoCA adaptor in each Coax outlet, if that room also has set-top box, additional splitter is required too.

So I need at least
6 Adaptor (3 in living room, 3 in other rooms)
1 1-to-4 splitter
1 1-to-2 splitter
since each adaptor requires power, i need 6 wall plug slots too.

Is my understanding correct?

I am wondering, how the ethernet in guest room links to splitter output 2/GE 2, ethernet in study room links to splitter output 3/Router GE 3?

Will Starhub TV programs be affected when high volume data transfer happens?

Thanks

moron+genius

Reaction score
Ur tv pts shld b interconnected thru splitters already. The basic concept is 1 moca at router there 2 inject data into coax cables n at each location where u need 2 extract data u need 1 moca. Each moca is a transceiver. So typically if u want every room in a 3rm aptment 2 haf data thru coax u’ll need 4 moca. A pair is the minimum setup. U can DL moca user manual 2 understand the system better b4 buying. The POE filter is to prevent the data signal going out of ur hse. In smallnetbuilder forum the moca 2.0 bonded seems 2 haf good reviews wif some use reporting close 2 1gbps speed, which is impressive. Hope this helps.

i-Movies

Reaction score
Ur tv pts shld b interconnected thru splitters already. The basic concept is 1 moca at router there 2 inject data into coax cables n at each location where u need 2 extract data u need 1 moca. Each moca is a transceiver. So typically if u want every room in a 3rm aptment 2 haf data thru coax u’ll need 4 moca. A pair is the minimum setup. U can DL moca user manual 2 understand the system better b4 buying. The POE filter is to prevent the data signal going out of ur hse. In smallnetbuilder forum the moca 2.0 bonded seems 2 haf good reviews wif some use reporting close 2 1gbps speed, which is impressive. Hope this helps.

Ok I got it, so it is like home plug, one coax in, other coax out, no need to allocate dedicated GE port for each room.

The adapter itself already splits to TV and Data so no need splitter too.

Questions:

Is starhub HD tv signal still good?

Since all data exchange happen on the same coax cable, if all rooms have heavy network connectivity at the same time like master room watching video on phone, guest room playing game, study room downloading, living room watching video on Apple TV. Will all of them still get good speed?

Is POE filter must? Where can I get it locally?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok I got it, so it is like home plug, one coax in, other coax out, no need to allocate dedicated GE port for each room.

The adapter itself already splits to TV and Data so no need splitter too.

Questions:

Is starhub HD tv signal still good?

Since all data exchange happen on the same coax cable, if all rooms have heavy network connectivity at the same time like master room watching video on phone, guest room playing game, study room downloading, living room watching video on Apple TV. Will all of them still get good speed?

Is POE filter must? Where can I get it locally?

Starhub Cable HD Set top box required cable coaxial point.

As if you do this method then you may have to consider Starhub IPTV instead, unless you are not on Starhub Fibre.

Refer to post #1

candrox said:
In order for MoCA to work, a 'Point Of Entry Filter' needs to be installed into the main coax cable before it branches off into different coax outlets of your flat. The cable connection can be found at an entry point into your premises such as a riser cabinet or a cable distribution box within your home.

The filter simply blocks MoCA frequencies going back into your cable providers network (or your neighbours network) and potentially interfering with the network or system elements.

Alternatively, the incoming main coax cable can also be disconnected from your home network if no service is used by the cable provider (just ensure to add a 75 Ohm terminator cap to your coax splitter).

Also don't forget that if this coaxial connection are old then there is possibility of signal loss.
That is due to the fact the wiring cables are hidden and may & could be wear out after years.
Should there is a failure within the cables inside, then the result is nil.
As this require that all the cables are good and reliable.

Regards.

JustDoLor

Reaction score
MoCA users seem to be a rarity here.... All went MIA liao

Reading this latest feedback I think no one wanna use MoCA liao
Moca seemed to give good speeds when I measured using speedtest but there seemed to be buffering during streaming of online content such as IPTV. Once I changed to Orbi, the buffering is gone and the signal reaches the corners of home.

terry1

Reaction score
still here. no posts because it is working perfectly and there is nothing to complaint :D

terry1

Reaction score
It's like power line. Too much conversion and equipment.

unlike the power line which requires power reset to the unit once in a while, for this MoCA, i never need to do any power reset. the speed is very constant. it could be that the embedded coax cables are not used at all in the house any more by any other device :D

LoneTraveller

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sharing my journey with setting up MoCA at my home - I hope it is useful to somebody. Please note the following is just my experience and not everything might be technically correct. Any feedback or addition is welcome - I'm always happy to learn! Unfortunately no pictures, diagrams, or links as the forum here doesn't trust me as a new member.

##################################################################
#### STORY #########################################################

I recently switched from Starhub 100Mbps Cable Broadband to ViewQwest 2Gbps Fibre Broadband and with that change I also wanted to solve my annoying WiFi connectivity issues whilst using the actual bandwidth I'm paying for. The only way to get fast internet to my computer in a room that it furthest away from the fibre termination point in the living room was via wired connection.

Unfortunately, my building does not have Ethernet wiring and I'm not really interested in having any cable lying lose between rooms. I haven't made any good experience with PowerLine devices in the past (Ethernet over electrical wiring) and the only other thing I stumbled across was MoCA - which finally solved all my issues and gives me around 950Mbps internet access.

#### FUNDAMENTALS ###################################################

MoCA stands for 'Multimedia over Coax Alliance'. The technology behind that term allows the distribution of ethernet data over the existing in-home coaxial TV cabling. Simply said, it can convert a Ethernet signal to run over coaxial cables. MoCA networking can co-exist with video data on the same coax cable.

---ethernet-cable-----[MoCA Device]=====coax-cable=====[MoCA Device]-----ethernet-cable---

MoCA version 1.0 was approved in March 2006, MoCA 1.1 in April 2010, MoCA 2.0 in June 2010 and MoCA 2.5 in April 2016. Technical throughput specifications are:

• MoCA 1.0 ---> 100 Mbit/s
• MoCA 1.1 ---> 175 Mbit/s
• MoCA 2.0 ---> 500 Mbit/s
• MoCA 2.0 bonded ---> 1.0 Gbp/s
• MoCA 2.1 ---> 500 Mbit/s
• MoCA 2.1 bonded ---> 1.0 Gbp/s
• MoCA 2.5 ---> 2.5 Gbp/s

MoCA uses frequencies between 500MHz to 1650MHz (dependent on the application). Cable companies typically use frequencies up to 1000MHz to send signals, satellite dishes usually use frequencies above 1000MHz.

#### POE FILTER ######################################################

In order for MoCA to work, a 'Point Of Entry Filter' needs to be installed into the main coax cable before it branches off into different coax outlets of your flat. The cable connection can be found at an entry point into your premises such as a riser cabinet or a cable distribution box within your home.

The filter simply blocks MoCA frequencies going back into your cable providers network (or your neighbours network) and potentially interfering with the network or system elements.

Alternatively, the incoming main coax cable can also be disconnected from your home network if no service is used by the cable provider (just ensure to add a 75 Ohm terminator cap to your coax splitter).

Either ways - one solution is mandatory! For me, Starhub installed the POE filter in the riser cabinet free of cost - the filter used is a 'Soontai LPF-1002M3'.

[Starhub]====>[POE Filter]====>[Home Coax Network]

#### COAX SPLITTER ###################################################

Depending on your home network you may have more than one coax cable outlet. If so, it is most likely that a 'coax splitter' is used. A coax splitter has one input where the provider signal enters the splitter and at least two outputs where the signal leaves the splitter to go to devices. If multiple devices are using the splitter, the signal for each device will be weaker than if the signal went straight to a single device without running through the splitter. The more times the signal is split the weaker it will become.

[Starhub]

[POE Filter]

[Splitter]
‖ ‖ ‖ ‖
‖ ‖ ‖ +===> [Coax Outlet] Living Room
‖ ‖ ‖
‖ ‖ +======> [Coax Outlet] Bedroom Master
‖ ‖
‖ +=========> [Coax Outlet] Bedroom Large Common

+============> [Coax Outlet] Bedroom Small Common

Most coax splitter have a frequency band filter built in and a label on the splitter indicating the frequency band (for example '5-1000 Mhz'). This means, that the splitter blocks any frequencies outside of this range in any direction. Whilst MoCA operates some frequency bands above this range it should not affect the performance in any meaningful way.

If you happen to encounter issues you can try to replace the coax splitter with another frequency band model such as '5-1500 Mhz' or '5-1750 Mhz'. Another issue might be that the coax splitter in use is extremely old and has ferite cores instead of an integrated circuits. In any case, you can find modern replacement splitters in Sim Lim Square #03-69 at 'UF Technology'.

#### CONNECTIVITY ####################################################

I used RG-6 coax cables and Ethernet CAT6 cables for my home network in order to minimise any potential cabeling issues. Bespoke length RG-6 cables can be ordered in Sim Lim Tower #02-25 at 'LHS Electronics Enterprise' and I found decent quality Ethernet CAT6 cables in Sim Lim Square #04-01 at 'Cybermind'. I also tried to avoid any additional connectors (such as 90° F-type connectors) on my coax cables.

#### MOCA DEVICES ####################################################

According to my research in August 2017, the most recommended and discussed MoCA device on the internet is the 'Actiontec ECB6200 Bonded MoCA 2.0' which promises speeds up to 1Gbps. I ordered directly from Amazon Prime in the first days of the Singapore launch and the package arrived a few hours later. It includes the following:

• 2x Actiontec ECB6200 MoCA devices (120 x 65 x 26 mm)
• 2x AC Adapter (ADP #WA-10P05FU, US Plug Type A 100-240V, 1.3mm connector 5V DC/2A)
• 2x RG6 coax cable (Male F connectors, black, 50cm)
• 2x CAT5E ethernet cable (RJ45 connectors, yellow, 100cm)
• 1x Starburst Technologies 2-way coaxial splitter (5-1675Mhz)

Replacement AC adaptor devices with a UK Plug Type G for Singapore can be bought in Sim Lim Tower #01-05 at 'Ask Electronic' or at #B1-36B at 'IDO Technologies' but the easier solution is just to use a fused adapter.

[Router]---->[MoCA Device]====>[Coax Outlet]====>[Coax Outlet]====>[MoCA Device]---->[PC]

#### ECB6200 WEBINTERFACE #############################################

Whilst the Actiontec ECB6200 is a 'plug-and-play' device that doest not require any setup it still can be accessed via a web interface in order to gather more device information. Here are the steps:

• Unplug all cables connected to the Actiontec ECB6200
• Connect the ECB6200 to power and ensure that the 'Power' LED lights up
• Connect your computer via Ethernet cable to the ECB6200
• Set your computers Ethernet IP address to 192.168.144.10
• Set your computers gateway IP address to 192.168.144.1
• Start a browser and open 192.168.144.30

The interface is quite minimalistic with no real configuration options. Here are my default device details for the curious:

Device Info
• Board ID: 6802ECB
• SW Version: 2.11.1.50.6200.7
• Band: Band D Extended

Configuration
• MoCA Password: xxxxxx
• MoCA Privacy: Disable
• RF Band: Band D Extended
• RF Switch: Hi

Hi,

May I know the total costs of the setup and do you have any complaints from your neighbours regarding interference of their cable signal etc? Tks.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.