Laptop for poly

Hotgrills

Reaction score
* **Total budget and country of purchase:**
2500, Singapore

* **Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.**
Best specs but good enough battery to last for a day of classes

* **How important is weight and thinness to you?**
I would like something under 2kg as i will be carrying it almost daily

* **Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.**
Windows 10
* **Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.**
N/A

* **Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.**
MS Office 2016 , Scientific Notebook 5.5 , AutoCAD 2018 , Hyper32 , Chemsketch , Polymath. Would also like to run League of Legends decently well.

* **If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?**
League of Legends. No specific setting or fps just able to run smoothly

* **Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?**
The minimum and recomended specs for my course are as follow:
Processor - intel core i5 4xxx or equivalent (intel i7 recommended)
Ram - 4 gb ( 8gb recommended)
Storage device - 256gb (512 recommended)
Display - 1024 x 900 display (1280 x 1024 recommended) with 16 bit colour and 521 mb video ram
OpenGL 2.0 caapable
HDMI to VGA adaptor or display port to vga adaptor for non vga notebook
Communication - Integrated or external IEEE 802.11b or equivalent
Operating system - Windows 10 (64 bit recommended)

* **Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.**
My school is offering discounts for students for a few laptops from acer, asus and hp. These are the links to the discounted laptops.

https://secured.acer.com.sg/OnlineOrder/NP

http://www.asiapac.com.sg/np

http://www.hpeduoffer.com/NP

Purchases need not be from the above 3 websites but the discounts they give look decent

Sorry for the long post & thanks in advance :)

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Would rather u get from school vendors due to the support they provided. And given that your requirements. It seems u are either a design or engineering student. Therefore it's best that u get some thing that is powerful.

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There's minimum specs depending on course of study.

Agree on better support from school vendors. Iirc there's 3 years on site warranty from Dell.

Icterine

Reaction score
I'm also getting a laptop for poly. I find there isn't much variety in the poly notebook roadshow. Most of them are underpowered for design/engineering courses. After some research on high performance laptops, I find that Microsoft (Surface Book 2), Dell (XPS 15 9560) and Lenovo (Yoga 720) are suitable for me. None of these companies are vendors for the school's roadshow. There's a powerful Asus (Zenbook Pro UX550VE) too but it's not for sale in polys.. I might have to give up on 3 years of onsite warranty. Sigh...

Last edited:

Icterine

Reaction score
I'm also getting a laptop for poly. I find there isn't much variety in the poly notebook roadshow. Most of them are underpowered for design/engineering courses. After some research on high performance laptops, I find that Microsoft (Surface Book 2), Dell (XPS 15 9560) and Lenovo (Yoga 720) are suitable for me. None of these companies are vendors for the school's roadshow. There's a powerful Asus (Zenbook Pro UX550VE) too but it's not for sale in polys.. I might have to give up on 3 years of onsite warranty. Sigh...

As a guideline, you should look out for the following specs...

13.3" to 15.6" 1080p Display
i7-8550U or i7-7700HQ
8GB DDR4 2400MHz Ram (Upgradable to 16GB for the future)
512GB NVMe PCIe SSD
Nvidia GeForce MX150 or GTX 1050
Weighs no more than 2KG

MrAwesomeX

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dun say never SIC . Xiaomi pro laptop cheap and good reviews. ~1000 sgd only .Need to upgrade OS to full english though.

https://shopee.sg/Mi-Notebook-15.6-...k-15.6-8GB-16GB-256GB-SSD-i.1058775.734523432
https://shopee.sg/Mi-Notebook-Air-13.3inches-(with-Finger-Print)-i.1058775.591436598

i5/i7 MX150 good enough for basic gaming and PS.

No need waste time and money go roadshows for lousy freebies at higher price .

These days all good deals is online one.

Dun forget to use shopback and shopee codes for more discount!

*the ASUS MX580NP on TS link also seem good on specs alone and warranty.

Last edited:

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As a guideline, you should look out for the following specs...

13.3" to 15.6" 1080p Display
i7-8550U or i7-7700HQ
8GB DDR4 2400MHz Ram (Upgradable to 16GB for the future)
512GB NVMe PCIe SSD
Nvidia GeForce MX150 or GTX 1050
Weighs no more than 2KG

Nowadays got 15.6" that is powerful weights less than 2kg?

Icterine

Reaction score
Make sure to get the highest end spec you can afford, especially the one with sleekest design!

Trust me, I was a poly student, definitely want to show off that sleek glossy laptop to girls in class and rest time play CS with the boys~

How heavy was your laptop back then? How it felt like lugging it to poly? I'm considering the XPS 15 but the 2KG weight is a little bit of a concern.

Fallingrain

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Surface laptop. Although it is more expensive, but student got 10% discount

Just got mine last week. Best laptop I have got. Build quality is excellent. Its like the mac of windows

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.