[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC86U

Yuuki84

Reaction score
Connect your miotv set top box directly to any of the ONR lan ports. The ONR has an IPTV LED that will show the status of the IPTV connection.

You are using ONR so the internet frames are already untagged so you shouldn't be using any of the singtel presets in the Asus router. You can use your Asus router either in AP mode or router mode. If you want to use as router mode, you will have an additional layer of nat, so you have to ensure the Asus router LAN IP is not 192.168.1.x (usually it is 192.168.1.1), as that will clash with the network of the ONR. If it is, change the Asus LAN IP to another network like 192.168.10.1. Then connect the asus WAN port to any lan port of the ONR.

You can refer to the whizcomms faq #24 (they use the singtel ONR also):
https://www.whizcomms.com.sg/faq/

Thanks for the information! I finally had time to tried it out yesterday - both ways in fact and the issue lingers. In router mode, I changed the LAN IP and also tried AP mode but can't seem to find a way to connect the ONR to the AP? My fibre point is some distance away from my Router and TV and there is only 1 WAN port.

I tried calling ASUS and they told me to bring to service centre to RMA, which is not very helpful (I only bought it like a few days ago). Perhaps I should consult a networking expert to fix the issue :slant:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information! I finally had time to tried it out yesterday - both ways in fact and the issue lingers. In router mode, I changed the LAN IP and also tried AP mode but can't seem to find a way to connect the ONR to the AP? My fibre point is some distance away from my Router and TV and there is only 1 WAN port.

I tried calling ASUS and they told me to bring to service centre to RMA, which is not very helpful (I only bought it like a few days ago). Perhaps I should consult a networking expert to fix the issue :slant:

you can't have a router behind the ONR. you need to turn the asus router to AP mode, and connect to ONR. thus, singtel tv can be connected to ONR or the AP..

There is no need to select IPTV profile since in AP mode, you can't do that too.

I don't understand what do you mean by you have one WAN port?

in AP mode, asus uses WAN as one of the LAN for incoming internet signal, so leaving you with 4 free LAN ports for devices to connect to.

Yuuki84

Reaction score
you can't have a router behind the ONR. you need to turn the asus router to AP mode, and connect to ONR. thus, singtel tv can be connected to ONR or the AP..

There is no need to select IPTV profile since in AP mode, you can't do that too.

I don't understand what do you mean by you have one WAN port?

in AP mode, asus uses WAN as one of the LAN for incoming internet signal, so leaving you with 4 free LAN ports for devices to connect to.

I meant that that I can't connect both Asus Router and MioTv box to the ONR as there is only 1 cable point below my TV console.

In this particular setup (Asus router to AP), if I am connecting the ONR to the MioTv box, how do I connect the ONR to the AP?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SingTel tv goes to AP, then AP goes to the lan point below tv console lor..

I meant that that I can't connect both Asus Router and MioTv box to the ONR as there is only 1 cable point below my TV console.

In this particular setup (Asus router to AP), if I am connecting the ONR to the MioTv box, how do I connect the ONR to the AP?

cdiony

Reaction score
Just got ASUS RT-AC86U and I have problem setting up internet. I connect the cable to Singtel ONT port 1 to the router internet port but still no internet after set up using phone apps and ASUS wireless router settings page 192.168.1.1.

The internet LED light is forever in RED showing no internet. Mine is a simple set up, no mio TV or whatever.

Anyone can guide me what went wrong?

Call Singtel says no configuration required.
Called Asus Support says my step correct.

Put back old router from Singtel can work immediately. Am lost.

kendo21

Reaction score
erm u said u plug the end of the cable to the yellow lan jack port in ur asus router? you should plug into your wan port (BLUE IN COLOR) setting put DHCP auto.

cdiony

Reaction score
erm u said u plug the end of the cable to the yellow lan jack port in ur asus router? you should plug into your wan port (BLUE IN COLOR) setting put DHCP auto.

Right plugged, the blue.Keep saying DHCP git problem. Called Singtel just now and ******** me must called Asus to configure. Called Asus say no need. Stuck.

AF1QipMyX5JGwUEzbQ-y_Awp5zehNJaJRJJesn3BWOA-

Last edited:

cdiony

Reaction score
Right plugged, the blue.Keep saying DHCP git problem. Called Singtel just now and ******** me must called Asus to configure. Called Asus say no need. Stuck.

AF1QipMyX5JGwUEzbQ-y_Awp5zehNJaJRJJesn3BWOA-

Have troubleshooted. For some reason I have to connect it to ONT port4 for set up even thought I don't have Singtel TV, then unplug to port 1 and presto, it connects. Weird.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have troubleshooted. For some reason I have to connect it to ONT port4 for set up even thought I don't have Singtel TV, then unplug to port 1 and presto, it connects. Weird.

So troublesome... :s22: luckily last time I opted against ST Fibre.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So troublesome... :s22: luckily last time I opted against ST Fibre.

Just got ASUS RT-AC86U and I have problem setting up internet. I connect the cable to Singtel ONT port 1 to the router internet port but still no internet after set up using phone apps and ASUS wireless router settings page 192.168.1.1.

The internet LED light is forever in RED showing no internet. Mine is a simple set up, no mio TV or whatever.

Anyone can guide me what went wrong?

Call Singtel says no configuration required.
Called Asus Support says my step correct.

Put back old router from Singtel can work immediately. Am lost.

Its not troublesome the moment you have enabled IPTV profile. Regardless of whether you have singtel tv or not, you need to enable "singtel-others" IPTV profile on asus router. Your physical connection is correct, but in order to receive the right internet signal from ONT, IPTV profile must be applied.

On your router GUI, navigate to LAN on the side > IPTV > Singtel-others.

If you are using an ONR, then you don't have to apply this profile but you need to change the operation mode of asus to Access Point.

VacheronLim

Reaction score
Any recommended settings for configuration to get optimal performance from AC86U?

For 2.4GHz probably set control channel to the least crowded one at my area

How about wireless mode & control bandwidth on both 2.4GHz & 5GHz?

Saw this video by Jayce that for 5GHz the AC86U seem to fare better at lower control channel (than those channels in the 100s). Not sure if this translates into real time performance difference though.

Non gamer here

mr.beast

Reaction score
Hi Maylyn,

thought that you might be able to help me with my bandwidth issue with my newly purchased RT-AC86U.

Issue: I am getting only 1-3mbps bandwidth speed via LAN & WiFi(2G/5G) connection to my SH fibre (500mbps).

I have done the following troubleshooting and isolation:
1. Direct LAN to my NC fibre modem, i am getting satisfied bandwidth speed of 100~200mbps
2. Contacted telco tech support to reflash my fibre modem, hard reset.
3. Connected the 86U to my broadband modem (100mbps), i'm able to get full bandwidth with LAN & WiFi.

Till now, i am unable to isolate the issue and have no lead.

Greatly appreciate if you could advice any other steps i could perform to rectify this problem.

Thank you very much.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Maylyn,

thought that you might be able to help me with my bandwidth issue with my newly purchased RT-AC86U.

Issue: I am getting only 1-3mbps bandwidth speed via LAN & WiFi(2G/5G) connection to my SH fibre (500mbps).

I have done the following troubleshooting and isolation:
1. Direct LAN to my NC fibre modem, i am getting satisfied bandwidth speed of 100~200mbps
2. Contacted telco tech support to reflash my fibre modem, hard reset.
3. Connected the 86U to my broadband modem (100mbps), i'm able to get full bandwidth with LAN & WiFi.

Till now, i am unable to isolate the issue and have no lead.

Greatly appreciate if you could advice any other steps i could perform to rectify this problem.

Thank you very much.

Why do you have so many "modem" ? On Starhub Fibre, you should only have the following:
ONT ( optical network terminal ) - Wireless Router

Turn off everything, connect only ONT to 86U, try setting manual DNS 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4.

original

Last edited:

kenchi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How is this router vs Ac66 which mine is always hot as a oven
As I plan to replace mine ac66 Asus

I saw the ac1300uhp quite decent wil it be same performance as mine Ac66 ?

Temporary I use mine old dlink 865l Flash’s’s to the last firmware it’s got duno I’d safe or not as drink was on the news on security issue but it’s quite stable no issue at all

So don’t know it’s wise to hootva Asus as before I am on ac66 but now seem up lorry

Last edited:

evildoctor

Reaction score
Need some advise here. My Friend bought a RT-AC86U for his home. So he asked me to help him setup. His requirements was to setup two wifi network where 1 of the ssid’s speed will be limited while the other ssid is not.

So I thought it was a simple setup but little did I realise it was not. So he just upgrade to fibre and singtel gave him a ONR instead of a ONT (which I would prefer). Here comes the part which I need help with. His house is currently using Mesh however the mesh is different brand. I know that the Asus router is able to setup a guest network.

It is possible to setup the Asus router with other mesh brand and achieve my friend’s requirements? The Asus router would be in AP mode.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need some advise here. My Friend bought a RT-AC86U for his home. So he asked me to help him setup. His requirements was to setup two wifi network where 1 of the ssid’s speed will be limited while the other ssid is not.

So I thought it was a simple setup but little did I realise it was not. So he just upgrade to fibre and singtel gave him a ONR instead of a ONT (which I would prefer). Here comes the part which I need help with. His house is currently using Mesh however the mesh is different brand. I know that the Asus router is able to setup a guest network.

It is possible to setup the Asus router with other mesh brand and achieve my friend’s requirements? The Asus router would be in AP mode.

If he just wanted to set up a guest ssid, the existing mesh system would have been able to do so. No need for additional router.

But since you already bought it, AFAIK guest Wi-Fi with bandwidth limiter is also available in AP mode.

evildoctor

Reaction score
Can I have the Mesh and Asus router have the same ssid? Would it have any issues?

If he just wanted to set up a guest ssid, the existing mesh system would have been able to do so. No need for additional router.

But since you already bought it, AFAIK guest Wi-Fi with bandwidth limiter is also available in AP mode.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.