Is 500 Mbps enough to stream hd movies ?

sgdividends

Reaction score
Hi
I am currently on myrepublic 1gb ( standard one,not gamer).

I'm thinking of downgrading to 500mbps ( M1).

Only 2 adults using it and worst case is stream hd movies.

Is 500 Mbps sufficient ?

We using wireless and not wired connection

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
More than sufficient.
The streaming server will allocate bandwidth far below that to you.

Sent from the Salt of the Land using GAGT

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Netflix use around 25mbps for 4K movies. You can stream about 20 4K movies with that bandwidth.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyway since you are streaming HD movies without any issue and downgrade to 500 Mbps make no difference.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am currently on myrepublic 1gb ( standard one,not gamer).

I'm thinking of downgrading to 500mbps ( M1).

Only 2 adults using it and worst case is stream hd movies.

Is 500 Mbps sufficient ?

We using wireless and not wired connection

Netflix recommendations for your reference:
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

Apex

Reaction score
500Mbps is enough.

If you are viewing via WIFI, your wifi must be good. If you wifi is weak that will cause performance problem.

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was able to stream HD movies even on the old SH cable network and it wa ard 25Mbps on those days

U shld look at ur last mile. Is ur wifi connection ok? If wifi connection no good, ur streaming will be poor no matter how good the plan u r using

sgdividends

Reaction score
Thanks all. This is useful info.

How to check if last mile WiFi good or not? And how to make it stronger? I read put aluminium foil on a can can up the signal.

I intend to use the router that myrepublic gave for free when I downgrade to M1 500 Mbps.

So only need to pay 58.85 registration fee.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

How to check if last mile WiFi good or not? And how to make it stronger? I read put aluminium foil on a can can up the signal.

I intend to use the router that myrepublic gave for free when I downgrade to M1 500 Mbps.

Go and read what's the difference between Omni-Directonal VS DIrectional antenna. Then you will know whether you still wanna mod your antenna with aluminium foil.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Even 3G also can stream HD video. 15 Mbps is enough for HD Video. Is your router in good condition?

sgdividends

Reaction score
Even 3G also can stream HD video. 15 Mbps is enough for HD Video. Is your router in good condition?

my router seldom down...is this what u mean? its asus rt-n65u. actually, i think i have been fooled because according the specs

The ASUS RT-N65U 300Mbps + 450Mbps simultaneous dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless-N750 SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Gigabit router features multiple SSIDs, Download Master, VPN server, parental controls, quality of service, multi-function USB applications, and easy setup.

It would not be able to handle 1 GBps also since bold and underline above... which means actually i should have gotten a 500Mbps instead!

Pls correct me as im really noob

-Grift-

Reaction score
my router seldom down...is this what u mean? its asus rt-n65u. actually, i think i have been fooled because according the specs

The ASUS RT-N65U 300Mbps + 450Mbps simultaneous dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless-N750 SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Gigabit router features multiple SSIDs, Download Master, VPN server, parental controls, quality of service, multi-function USB applications, and easy setup.

It would not be able to handle 1 GBps also since bold and underline above... which means actually i should have gotten a 500Mbps instead!

Pls correct me as im really noob

Those are the wireless speeds, Real world 5Ghz speeds avg around 400mbps on a good router.

sgdividends

Reaction score
Those are the wireless speeds, Real world 5Ghz speeds avg around 400mbps on a good router.

Thanks.

Shoot. After waiting for 1.5 hours at the M1 shop, they tell me must activate within 1 month and promo ends tmr.

My myrepublic contract ends on 24 may so I am not eligible for the promo and need to settle for the 29/ month for 300 Mbps after the promo.

Horrors of horrors.

Sorry , can I check if 300 Mbps ok for streaming HD..just to confirm again

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Thanks.

Shoot. After waiting for 1.5 hours at the M1 shop, they tell me must activate within 1 month and promo ends tmr.

My myrepublic contract ends on 24 may so I am not eligible for the promo and need to settle for the 29/ month for 300 Mbps after the promo.

Horrors of horrors.

Sorry , can I check if 300 Mbps ok for streaming HD..just to confirm again

No you need the 10Gbps plan to stream 480p videos. Anything lower you only can send telegrams...

I quite sure many people already answered you question in this thread

Last edited:

sgdividends

Reaction score
I was able to stream HD movies even on the old SH cable network and it wa ard 25Mbps on those days

U shld look at ur last mile. Is ur wifi connection ok? If wifi connection no good, ur streaming will be poor no matter how good the plan u r using

Yes ok 300mbps is enough.

Can I ask then why do people want 1 GBps if not a gamer for residential home?

Just wondering , since hd streaming is second to gaming in intensity ..and for residential use normally 2-5 people

Am I right to say that, it's generally upselling something which is actually no needed?( Not talking about gamers)

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Just wondering , since hd streaming is second to gaming in intensity ..and for residential use normally 2-5 people

Am I right to say that, it's generally upselling something which is actually no needed?( Not talking about gamers)

Each has its own choice on selection and usage.

What is 1 GBps or 500 or 300 Mbps, will depend on the end-user requirement and the way the user use it for.

The plan is based on shared within from the ONT.
This depend on number users or open too many tabs or downloading too many huge files especially movies in GB size.
The router will do the work to prioritize how much bandwidth each connection required.
For example streaming required less, reading here required less, but downloading 3 GB of movie then require more bandwidth.

Then there are users who do not mind to pay a bit more for more bandwidth in case of needs when arise.
As most 1Gbps plan do come with free router which can easily cost $200+ and thus saving in the long term.

For me i am on 1Gbps but it include free IPTV subscription with saving of $33 per months.
If not for the free IPTV subscription, i would had opt for 500 Mbps which was my previous plan subscription.

So it is up to the user to decide which is the best match.
If one do not need to have the needs to downloading huge files then there is no need to go to that high speed plan.
As wireless do have limit at most is 500 Mbps connection for most wireless clients in the current market.

Gamer plan is due to constant and no lagging or sudden break.
Gamer plan do have certain zone as this depend on the games they played.
As most servers are located overseas in several regions, it is very important that they are provided connection without any lagged or drop.
Once the connection drop is Game Over for the gamer in concern.

So when you are planning to go for whichever broadband plans, do consider what is your usage and needs.
Hence whenever someone want to have advice from here, it is important that we do provide proper and accurate info based on the individual needs.
That is why we do required the person to state the needs & budget in order to give choices suitable to that requester.

Regards.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Depend on how much each person use and how many people use.
Cannot only think of own-self unless you are living alone... ;)

"Exaggerated" example:

If per person max usage 100 Mbps, then 5 people use at same time = 500Mbps
If per person max usage 200 Mbps, then 5 people use at same time = 1000Mbps ( 1 Gbps )

sgdividends

Reaction score
Depend on how much each person use and how many people use.
Cannot only think of own-self unless you are living alone... ;)

"Exaggerated" example:

If per person max usage 100 Mbps, then 5 people use at same time = 500Mbps
If per person max usage 200 Mbps, then 5 people use at same time = 1000Mbps ( 1 Gbps )

Thanks only the 2 of us. And we both not gamers . I will be going for the 300mbps , also to support M1 since I invested in them also

pcyen1313

Reaction score
I signed up 1GB because it is the minimum bandwidth offered by Myrepublic.
What gamers care more about is the latency, and I get consistent ping of 7ms on fiber.
Sometimes I purchase games in digital version on PS4, and the game (25GB) takes time to download. This is the time when high bandwidth comes handy, but even so it still uses 20% of the advertised bandwidth.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.