need help on home network setup

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
do you have contact of any good contractors who are doing home wiring? may want to check with them if they provide any other solution to hide cable instead of trunking.

thanks
If u dun want trunking and hide those cable. Most likely they will need to hack your wall so that they can do that.

JustDoLor

Reaction score
As mentioned by others, the best is still wired-ethernet loh.... MoCA is the other alternative but needs addition electronics which is subjected to hardware failure loh..

yes, heard about it long time ago, didn't pay extra attention to it because, if i remembered, the speedtest on lan wasn't very attractive, around 200-300Mbps something? maybe it is improved today i am not too sure, if it is able to provide 1Gbps throughput, I will give it a try, at least I got coax in every room.

i-Movies

Reaction score
just an update, I relocated Time Capsule, surprisingly I am now getting 300Mbps in study room #3b... :)

If I decide to setup a Mesh network, say Orbi RBK50 to replace TC, main Orbi Router in bridge mode, same location where TC sits now, one Orbi satellite put in the study room #3b. Wireless backhaul.

Will I get better speed in study room?

I am not sure if I understand how Orbi works

client -> TC (5Ghz): 300Mbps
client -> satellite (5Ghz) -> dedicated 5Ghz backhaul (878x2Mbps) -> main Orbi.

For the same distance, if 5Ghz max throughput is 300Mbps, does that mean the max throughput between orbi satellite and main is also 300Mbps? When client connects to satellite, it won't get more than 300Mbps?

Or since Orbi has 2 dedicated 5Ghz for backhaul, the throughput between satellite and main Orbi will be faster than client to TC?

i-Movies

Reaction score
got orbi rbk50 in it show,

main orbi at #2, AP mode.
satellit at #3b

in living room, connect to main orbi, 550Mbps;
in guest room, connect to main orbi, 520Mbps;
in study room, connect to satellite, 590Mbps;
in master room, connect to satellite, 40-50Mbps;

no drop, no disconnection so far.

I am happy with this result.

I think the dedicated 2x866Mbps backhaul channels really makes difference.

2mx3ex3.jpg

dryteletubby

Reaction score

satellit at #3b

2mx3ex3.jpg

Congratulations on finally deciding on something to improve your network after such a long time considering:D

i-Movies

Reaction score
Congratulations on finally deciding on something to improve your network after such a long time considering:D

it was actually quite fun when doing the research, i studied almost every Mesh product in the market even the last min out Asus Lyra Trio, found out their pros and cons from various forums, also had a deep understanding on MoCA too.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
it was actually quite fun when doing the research, i studied almost every Mesh product in the market even the last min out Asus Lyra Trio, found out their pros and cons from various forums, also had a deep understanding on MoCA too.

Maybe next time you research on wired APs switches and routers and go deeper down the networking rabbit hole:spin: :spin:

LoneTraveller

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If u dun want trunking and hide those cable. Most likely they will need to hack your wall so that they can do that.

Depends if your flat has false ceiling or not.
Else you have to ask contractor to carve a mini "trench" on the wall to hide the cables.

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wired connection + multiple wired APs is still the best.

I spent alot of money trying out all kinds of non wired solutions (high gain antenna, powerline, early adaptor of RT-AC78U to EA-AC87u etc) and non was ideal. Did not try mesh yet because mesh was not mainstream during that time. One fine day I told my wife, I dun care. I'm going to diy pull cat6 through the entire house.

Pulling cables through false ceiling is a PITA. It gets super messy. The gypsum powder irritated my skin quite bad. I took 4 weekends to finally pull it through my home. a contractor can probably do it at a faster rate though. U can diy terminate the points if the contractor refuse to do it. ( I DIYed the entire process because it gives me the bragging rights :p)

Now, using a full Ubiquiti setup, my home has wired connections for most devices, and multiple APs for mobile phones. Best decision ever :)

Last edited:

i-Movies

Reaction score

I spent alot of money trying out all kinds of non wired solutions (high gain antenna, powerline, early adaptor of RT-AC78U to EA-AC87u etc) and non was ideal. Did not try mesh yet because mesh was not mainstream during that time. One fine day I told my wife, I dun care. I'm going to diy pull cat6 through the entire house.

Pulling cables through false ceiling is a PITA. It gets super messy. The gypsum powder irritated my skin quite bad. I took 4 weekends to finally pull it through my home. a contractor can probably do it at a faster rate though. U can diy terminate the points if the contractor refuse to do it. ( I DIYed the entire process because it gives me the bragging rights :p)

Now, using a full Ubiquiti setup, my home has wired connections for most devices, and multiple APs for mobile phones. Best decision ever :)

i believe so, if I had cable wired in my apartment, or i was determined to hack wall/ceiling, i probably won't even think about Mesh at the first place...

phayze

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wired ethernet is for fix location devices like computer, iptv, tv, etc. Wireless mesh is more for mobile device like mobile phone, tablet, moving inside house.

i believe so, if I had cable wired in my apartment, or i was determined to hack wall/ceiling, i probably won't even think about Mesh at the first place...

dryteletubby

Reaction score

Lucky you. If WiFi in my home stops working for a minute, I probably won't hear the end of it from my family. Software updates & upgrades need to be ninja'd or done at some unholy hour.

i-Movies

Reaction score
Wired ethernet is for fix location devices like computer, iptv, tv, etc. Wireless mesh is more for mobile device like mobile phone, tablet, moving inside house.

what i meant is, if i have cable wired i would rather choose ubiquiti APs which are proved to be stable and reliable in many different environments. Mesh solution, it is good only when it works for you, and you will never know until you try it in your house. luckily i chose a right one.

Last edited:

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

satellit at #3b

2mx3ex3.jpg

How come the master room speed is so low? The distance quite similar to the study room right?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.