[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS Lyra Trio - Corner to Corner WiFi

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
ASUS Lyra Trio

Introducing a new brand ASUS Lyra Trio - a more affordable, sleeker and easier to deploy ASUS MESH WiFi system together with the new brand 3x3 internal antenna design for the masses.

Nevertheless ASUS isn't scrimped on it's performance and features either, what ASUS Lyra has to offer are almost identical what one can find on ASUS Lyra Trio.

Let's find out ^^

Product was announced @ CES 2018

ASUS Lyra Trio was first announced during CES 2018 together with ASUS Lyra Voice. ASUS RT-AX88U was announced again as well.

Source ~> https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/other/ces/ces-2018/33179-asus-expands-lyra-mesh-family

Specification

CPU ~ Qualcomm Atheros QCA9563 @ 750MHz
Flash ~ 32MB Flash
RAM ~ 128MB RAM
WiFi ~ Qualcomm Atheros QCA9982 (3x3)
Ethernet ~ Qualcomm Atheros QCA9563
Switch ~ Qualcomm Atheros QCA8072
WAN ~ 1xGbE
LAN ~ 1xGbE

Brand new and unique 3x3 internal antenna design to better minimise interference and transmit the WiFi signals vertically and horizontally for better reception and performance in multi storey homes.

eEEiJpl.png

Actual Retail Packing

Do note that the retail packing might varied for different regions from what i have posted. This is provided to me from ASUS TW HQ. But the contents are the same less the power plug adapter for different countries.

Rest assured that SG version will be coming with the 3 pin plug adapters for the power adapters.

Front View

vawyAoO.png

Back View

c7zwTSc.png

Both Rear View

HkmFNAx.png

pzLEf2a.png

Actual ASUS Lyra Trio

QzibBTB.png

Comes with 1xGbE LAN and 1xGbE WAN/LAN

EHBzEtB.png

Accessories (Power adapters and power plug adapters)

tmeKQ1g.png

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Setting Up

Setting up is easy and simple like 1-2-3, just download the ASUS Lyra App either from Apple Store (iPhone) or Google Play Store (Android) respectively and use it to do the setup.

Using the ASUS Lyra App to setup accordingly

Fv7Rxr8.png

KP9tSkR.png

4DbMWDx.png

pweJiEq.png

BJNlm9Q.png

U4OiYtl.png

SJtQHdr.png

NV4coUM.png

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
q2iKbba.png

npvkpRn.png

e8rEDz9.png

IejqHsy.png

Final setup done on the main ASUS Lyra Trio Node

svczhKO.jpg

ASUS Lyra Trio LED is more subtle as compared to ASUS Lyra IMO.

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
What are some of the differences between ASUS Lyra and ASUS Lyra Trio?

There are some distinct differences between ASUS Lyra and ASUS Lyra Trio, besides different Qualcomm CPU/hardware specs aside.

Let me list down some.

ASUS Lyra

1). QCA IPQ4019 770MHz quad core
2). 128MB Flash
3). 256MB RAM
4). 7 smart internal design with dedicated wireless backhaul
5). Full AiProtection (Malicious Sites Blocking, Two-Way IPS and Infected Device Prevention and Blocking)
6). Adaptive QOS
7). Traffic Analyser

lqtrhzi.png

ASUS Lyra Trio

1). Qualcomm Atheros QCA9563 @ 750MHz
2). 32MB Flash
3). 128MB RAM
4). 3x3 internal antenna design
5). AiProtection Classic (Malicious Sites Blocking, No Two-Way IPS and Infected Device Prevention and Blocking)
6). No Adaptive QOS
7). No Traffic Analyser

7hnDR8M.png

GjGnZNU.png

ASUS Lyra Trio does support Ethernet Backhaul for max WiFi performance if one needs to utilise it same as ASUS Lyra.

One can find tons of useful information regarding the ASUS Lyra Trio @ ASUS Knowledge FAQ.

ASUS Knowledge FAQ

https://www.asus.com/sg/Networking/Lyra-Trio/HelpDesk/

[Lyra][Setup]How to set up a wired Lyra system? (Ethernet backhaul)

https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/1034951

Same as Amazon Alexa too as well

[Alexa]How to link ASUS Router and Amazon Alexa?

https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/1033395

[Alexa]What Alexa commands does my ASUS router support?

https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/1033393

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Setting up the remaining 2x nodes are all done up via Wireless Backhaul

Living Room

V3THzRK.jpg

Kitchen

sK7gR3g.jpg

Network Map (connectivity)

This is the most ideal setup one would try to achieve, full 3 green lines of connectivity strength to provide maximum performance via Wireless Backhaul.

Of cos the best of the best will be connecting all the 3 via Ethernet Backhaul. (Please refer above on how to setup)

So placement of the individual nodes are very important.

zq5fOra.png

If one encounter during adding of new node stating the connection is weak, please relocate or move the node higher etc (best there is some line of sight between all nodes)

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Benching results

Main Node @ Room using Apple iPhone 7+

0KL2Z6A.jpg

SpeedTest

IM0s1lS.png

Kitchen - Furthest node

8yyZ320.jpg

gpX50Qn.png

The ASUS Lyra Trio results are attained from from choosing from sample of at least 5x SpeedTest runs @ per node location and my ASUS Lyra was turned off to prevent direct WiFi interference due to direct proximity to the ASUS Lyra Trio.

What is shown isn't the highest speed attained, there is sample run that have shown the upload speed of 515Mbps :eek: but jitter is @ a little higher of 5.3ms

For example

5C7cIYb.png

So overall it's pretty constant of achieving what i have posted on top 2 SpeedTest Results (average range) on my setup/environment.

The ASUS Lyra Trio is performing just a slight notch lower as compare the bigger brother ASUS Lyra IMO. Do note that the more hops from the main node will impact on the performance speed nevertheless does one needs 500Mbps+ download speed to stream/surf whatsoever stuff to their WiFi devices?

Better coverage = still able to be connected to the Internet than spotty or no connection to the Internet right? :p

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
LED Colour Status table

ReLXk5O.png

Is it possible to add the ASUS Lyra Trio to one's existing ASUS Lyra network?

Yes, it's possible to add the ASUS Lyra Trio to one's existing ASUS Lyra network whether on wireless or Ethernet backhaul.

One needs to make sure all the ASUS Lyra's and ASUS Lyra Trio's firmware are up to date. (latest firmware)

But it doesn't work in other way around.
ASUS Lyra Trio (main) ~> ASUS Lyra, or ASUS Lyra Trio (main) ~> ASUS Lyra Trio ~> ASUS Lyra etc.

8HcKeHp.jpg

HUF6iYV.png

4fYRtQR.png

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Reserved for miscellaneous stuff ~~

Last edited:

kwekey

Reaction score
Hi, I need some help with setting up of Asus Lyra Trio which I bought from IT show yesterday. I have the following questions below:

Firstly, my home is connected with Cat-6 LAN cable from the fibre point to all the rooms and I want to connect the Lyra Trio x 3 to the LAN point in each room which supposedly to get full speed everywhere.

Q1 : Out of the 3 devices, is there a predetermined device which I have to setup as the first device? I cannot find a differences between the 3 devices in the box

Q2 : What is the correct method for setting up the second and third device? What I have done are as follows:
- Connect 1st device's WAN port to a router. Use the App to setup. This is easy
- Connect 2nd device's WAN port to the LAN port of the 1st device. Power ON and use the App to add the 2nd device
- Connect 3rd device's WAN Port to the LAN port of the 2nd device. Power ON and use the App to add the 3rd device
- After finished, I connect each of the device to the LAN port in each room
Are the above steps correct?

Q3 : I have some how managed to get it working but I am not if is correct. I am getting 2 devices with Cyan LED and one device with Green LED. From my guest, I think Green LED is correct but I am not able to find any manual from Asus website talking about this.

Q4 : I am able to get the follows speed
- up to 300-400mbps when I am near to the first device
- up to 300-400mbps when I am near to the device with Green LED
- up to 50mbps when I am near the device with Cyan LED
Is this correct?

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Hi, I need some help with setting up of Asus Lyra Trio which I bought from IT show yesterday. I have the following questions below:

Firstly, my home is connected with Cat-6 LAN cable from the fibre point to all the rooms and I want to connect the Lyra Trio x 3 to the LAN point in each room which supposedly to get full speed everywhere.

Q1 : Out of the 3 devices, is there a predetermined device which I have to setup as the first device? I cannot find a differences between the 3 devices in the box

Q2 : What is the correct method for setting up the second and third device? What I have done are as follows:
- Connect 2nd device's WAN port to the LAN port of the 1st device. Power ON and use the App to add the 2nd device
- Connect 3rd device's WAN Port to the LAN port of the 2nd device. Power ON and use the App to add the 3rd device

Q3 : I have some how managed to get it working but I am not if is correct. I am getting 2 devices with Cyan LED and one device with Green LED. From my guest, I think Green LED is correct but I am not able to find any manual from Asus website talking about this.

Is this correct?

Not answering your question but why did you choose a mesh system when your house already has ethernet cabling?

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Is this correct?

This kind of setup should just install as many APs as possible. Recommended 1 AP per room. And a multiple POE switch at the main point to supply power to all cat6 port across your house. Guess a lot of users are sold to the "MESH" thingy but do not really understand under what circumstances should a mesh system be deployed and its limitations.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In fact I agree with OP on using a mesh instead of an AP. An AP will give you unique SSID which is not ideal when the signal overlaps.

Mesh on the contrary is a better wifi option for overlapping coverage with just one SSID.

Mesh units do not mean it has to work over wireless backhaul and it’s a real misconception.

This kind of setup should just install as many APs as possible. Recommended 1 AP per room. And a multiple POE switch at the main point to supply power to all cat6 port across your house. Guess a lot of users are sold to the "MESH" thingy but do not really understand under what circumstances should a mesh system be deployed and its limitations.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
In fact I agree with OP on using a mesh instead of an AP. An AP will give you unique SSID which is not ideal when the signal overlaps.

Mesh on the contrary is a better wifi option for overlapping coverage with just one SSID.

Mesh units do not mean it has to work over wireless backhaul and it’s a real misconception.

You do not need to set individual unique SSIDs for APs you can give all your APs the same ssid.

WiFi signal should have overlap but not too much so as to ensure device roam from one AP to another seamlessly. Too much overlapping causes the client device to hang on to the AP even when it is not the nearest one.

To prevent signal "overlapping" too much you can manually lower down the broadcast power of your APs. Higher end APs from Cisco, Aruba etc automate this feature so as to not be a problem when setting up 100s of APs.

Consumer grade APs and even ubiquiti does not have this feature yet you have to manually set broadcast strength. However in a home setting it should not be much of an issue.

another point for APs against mesh is actuall roaming support. Most higher end APs like ubiquiti support 802.11r and k which is to help compatible device roam seamlessly from one AP to another.
I don't think most consumer mesh units support it and it's "seamless roaming" is just the client device moving from one AP to the other. Without 802.11r/k you will find some devices roaming easily while other devices especially older apple devices hanging on to the weaker mesh node instead of roaming.

Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Manually adjusting signal strength does not allow devices to roam but merely confuse the devices. As some devices do have algorithms to prevent constant connection to one particular weak AP, they have what is called a preconfigured bounce time. Nevertheless even if you can successfully roam from one ap to another, in between will have a momentary drop in wifi connection.

Whereas for mesh, there will not be any drop from one node to another node and that’s not roaming protocol as well.

You mentioned the roaming protocol which is only available in some high end consumer ap or enterprise grade ap, that works for big houses where mesh units will not be suitable due to the limited addition of nodes.

You do not need to set individual unique SSIDs for APs you can give all your APs the same ssid.

WiFi signal should have overlap but not too much so as to ensure device roam from one AP to another seamlessly. Too much overlapping causes the client device to hang on to the AP even when it is not the nearest one.

To prevent signal "overlapping" too much you can manually lower down the broadcast power of your APs. Higher end APs from Cisco, Aruba etc automate this feature so as to not be a problem when setting up 100s of APs.

Consumer grade APs and even ubiquiti does not have this feature yet you have to manually set broadcast strength. However in a home setting it should not be much of an issue.

another point for APs against mesh is actuall roaming support. Most higher end APs like ubiquiti support 802.11r and k which is to help compatible device roam seamlessly from one AP to another.
I don't think most consumer mesh units support it and it's "seamless roaming" is just the client device moving from one AP to the other. Without 802.11r/k you will find some devices roaming easily while other devices especially older apple devices hanging on to the weaker mesh node instead of roaming.

kwekey

Reaction score
I have a wifi router at the living room but it was not enough to reach my bedroom. So I added an access point in the bedroom connecting to the Lan point at bedroom. It works but I need to manually switch the wifi SSID when ever i walk in and out of my bedroom to living room. So i decided to give this wifi mesh a try.

After asking some questions at IT show, I was told that I can connect the Wifi mesh devices to existing LAN point, so called ethernet backhaul, and I will be able to move around the house freely without having to switch the wifi SSID manually and yet get full wifi speed everywhere.

Am I being smoked? :(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.