[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS Lyra Trio - Corner to Corner WiFi

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Manually adjusting signal strength does not allow devices to roam but merely confuse the devices. As some devices do have algorithms to prevent constant connection to one particular weak AP, they have what is called a preconfigured bounce time. Nevertheless even if you can successfully roam from one ap to another, in between will have a momentary drop in wifi connection.

Whereas for mesh, there will not be any drop from one node to another node and that’s not roaming protocol as well.

You mentioned the roaming protocol which is only available in some high end consumer ap or enterprise grade ap, that works for big houses where mesh units will not be suitable due to the limited addition of nodes.

Most new devices are "smart" enough to choose the best node/AP to connect to. Roaming issues only happen with older devices that was not engineered "correctly"

I went to my friend's house with a 3 node Linksys velop system. He has issues with a older tablet not roaming. I used a iperf and a laptop to test it's roaming capabilities and noticed it cut off for a few seconds when moving around his house. This may not be an issue under normal use cases anyway. And the solution for the tablet to roam is to disconnect and reconnect it's WiFi when moving around the house.

I Google preconfigured bounce time and did not find anything relevant:s22:

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
I have a wifi router at the living room but it was not enough to reach my bedroom. So I added an access point in the bedroom connecting to the Lan point at bedroom. It works but I need to manually switch the wifi SSID when ever i walk in and out of my bedroom to living room. So i decided to give this wifi mesh a try.

After asking some questions at IT show, I was told that I can connect the Wifi mesh devices to existing LAN point, so called ethernet backhaul, and I will be able to move around the house freely without having to switch the wifi SSID manually and yet get full wifi speed everywhere.

Am I being smoked? :(

What they say is true you can use ethernet. Backhaul to connect the mesh nodes ( I think) and you will get 1 SSID so no need to manually switch.

You also can do this without the mesh system by setting your ap SSID to the same as your main router.

kwekey

Reaction score
Manually adjusting signal strength does not allow devices to roam but merely confuse the devices. As some devices do have algorithms to prevent constant connection to one particular weak AP, they have what is called a preconfigured bounce time. Nevertheless even if you can successfully roam from one ap to another, in between will have a momentary drop in wifi connection.

Whereas for mesh, there will not be any drop from one node to another node and that’s not roaming protocol as well.

You mentioned the roaming protocol which is only available in some high end consumer ap or enterprise grade ap, that works for big houses where mesh units will not be suitable due to the limited addition of nodes.

I tried installing APs and with the same SSID as the main router the last time
I faced the following problem:
1. My phone do not switch to a strong wifi AP unless the signal to the existing wifi connection drops to a certain extent
2. If I were to switch the wifi SSID manually, connection to ethernet is lost. I need to turn on and off my phone wifi.

I think the above is before of my poor knowledge on setting up wifi networking.. So I decided to give wifi mesh a try..

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
I tried installing APs and with the same SSID as the main router the last time
I faced the following problem:
1. My phone do not switch to a strong wifi AP unless the signal to the existing wifi connection drops to a certain extent

That is normal. You can coax your phone to switch to a stronger network by making the singnal strength between your 2 WiFi points more significant by lowering the WiFi broadcast power.

kwekey

Reaction score
That is normal. You can coax your phone to switch to a stronger network by making the singnal strength between your 2 WiFi points more significant by lowering the WiFi broadcast power.

That is tough for me:s11:
I am not that familiar with tweeting wifi signal..

And I have already broke my bank on the Asus Lyra Trio Wifi mesh.:(
So I hope to move on with Asus Lyra Trio.

Hope to get some good information regarding my questions..

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
That is tough for me:s11:
I am not that familiar with tweeting wifi signal..

And I have already broke my bank on the Asus Lyra Trio Wifi mesh.:(
So I hope to move on with Asus Lyra Trio.

Hope to get some good information regarding my questions..

Asus customer service usually quite helpful for this sort of setup.

I heard that the mesh units need to be daisy chained to work and can't connect 2 units back to the same mesh. I may be wrong and better to ask Asus about it.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, Lyra trio supports AP mode, so the nodes can individually connect to router of the user. Need not daisy chain unless one is running router mode..

Asus customer service usually quite helpful for this sort of setup.

I heard that the mesh units need to be daisy chained to work and can't connect 2 units back to the same mesh. I may be wrong and better to ask Asus about it.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have a wifi router at the living room but it was not enough to reach my bedroom. So I added an access point in the bedroom connecting to the Lan point at bedroom. It works but I need to manually switch the wifi SSID when ever i walk in and out of my bedroom to living room. So i decided to give this wifi mesh a try.

After asking some questions at IT show, I was told that I can connect the Wifi mesh devices to existing LAN point, so called ethernet backhaul, and I will be able to move around the house freely without having to switch the wifi SSID manually and yet get full wifi speed everywhere.

Am I being smoked? :(

Both sides have a point but mesh is simpler to setup, less to tweak. Setup and forget.

My 2 cents

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, I need some help with setting up of Asus Lyra Trio which I bought from IT show yesterday. I have the following questions below:

Firstly, my home is connected with Cat-6 LAN cable from the fibre point to all the rooms and I want to connect the Lyra Trio x 3 to the LAN point in each room which supposedly to get full speed everywhere.

Q1 : Out of the 3 devices, is there a predetermined device which I have to setup as the first device? I cannot find a differences between the 3 devices in the box

Q2 : What is the correct method for setting up the second and third device? What I have done are as follows:
- Connect 1st device's WAN port to a router. Use the App to setup. This is easy
- Connect 2nd device's WAN port to the LAN port of the 1st device. Power ON and use the App to add the 2nd device
- Connect 3rd device's WAN Port to the LAN port of the 2nd device. Power ON and use the App to add the 3rd device
- After finished, I connect each of the device to the LAN port in each room
Are the above steps correct?

Q3 : I have some how managed to get it working but I am not if is correct. I am getting 2 devices with Cyan LED and one device with Green LED. From my guest, I think Green LED is correct but I am not able to find any manual from Asus website talking about this.

Q4 : I am able to get the follows speed
- up to 300-400mbps when I am near to the first device
- up to 300-400mbps when I am near to the device with Green LED
- up to 50mbps when I am near the device with Cyan LED
Is this correct?

Q1. Nope, all nodes are the same
Q2. AFAIK, add all nodes wirelessly, then connect node to respective ethernet data point
Q3. Should be all Cyan by right
Q4. I think you should redo the node with 50Mbps

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, I need some help with setting up of Asus Lyra Trio which I bought from IT show yesterday. I have the following questions below:

Firstly, my home is connected with Cat-6 LAN cable from the fibre point to all the rooms and I want to connect the Lyra Trio x 3 to the LAN point in each room which supposedly to get full speed everywhere.

Q1 : Out of the 3 devices, is there a predetermined device which I have to setup as the first device? I cannot find a differences between the 3 devices in the box

Q2 : What is the correct method for setting up the second and third device? What I have done are as follows:
- Connect 2nd device's WAN port to the LAN port of the 1st device. Power ON and use the App to add the 2nd device
- Connect 3rd device's WAN Port to the LAN port of the 2nd device. Power ON and use the App to add the 3rd device
Are the above steps correct?

Q3 : I have some how managed to get it working but I am not if is correct. I am getting 2 devices with Cyan LED and one device with Green LED. From my guest, I think Green LED is correct but I am not able to find any manual from Asus website talking about this.

Q4 : I am able to get the follows speed
- up to 300-400mbps when I am near to the first device
- up to 300-400mbps when I am near to the device with Green LED
- up to 50mbps when I am near the device with Cyan LED
Is this correct?

Q1 ~ None, you can use any of the ASUS Lyra Trio to set it as main (wired to router).

Q2 ~ This method is setting up via Ethernet Backhaul, you can do Wireless Backhaul as well like what i have posted on the first page.

Q3 ~ Your LED status is correct for Ethernet Backhaul setup (main ~ light cyan, second ~ solid green and third ~ solid green).

Info ~> https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1034951/

For Wireless BackHaul - (main ~ light cyan, second ~ light cyan and third light cyan).

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
LED Colour Status table

ReLXk5O.png

kwekey

Reaction score
Thank you Xonix, Maylyn for your advise.

I was trying to setup Lyra Trio over my ethernet backhaul. My last LED status when I posted was:
1st node : Cyan
2nd node : Cyan
3rd node : Green

So, last night, I tried to reset all nodes to factory setting and re-configure again using the same steps mentioned in Q2:

This time, I get all Cyan. I believe the nodes are now connected via wifi backhaul. From the Lyra App, I can see the lines between main node and the other 2 nodes are yellow lines, instead of green lines..
I am now getting slightly less then 100mbps on all nodes...

I am getting more and more confused....

I chat with Asus online line and even escalated to the backend team.. Yet to get any good solution from them...

I search the website the entire evening and could not find any clear setup procedure to configure Lyra Trio over ethernet backhaul...

Thinking of asking for a refund or change to another router AiMesh or Lyra Home

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Thank you Xonix, Maylyn for your advise.

I was trying to setup Lyra Trio over my ethernet backhaul. My last LED status when I posted was:
1st node : Cyan
2nd node : Cyan
3rd node : Green

So, last night, I tried to reset all nodes to factory setting and re-configure again using the same steps mentioned in Q2:

This time, I get all Cyan. I believe the nodes are now connected via wifi backhaul. From the Lyra App, I can see the lines between main node and the other 2 nodes are yellow lines, instead of green lines..
I am not getting slightly less then 100mbps on all nodes...

I am getting more and more confused....

I chat with Asus online line and even escalated to the backend team.. Yet to get any good solution from them...

I search the website the entire evening and could not find any clear setup procedure to configure Lyra Trio over ethernet backhaul...

Thinking of asking for a refund or change to another router Lyra Home

FAQ ~> https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/1034951

The ASUS FAQ has specifically stated that one needs to set up 3 Lyra/Lyra Trio setup first on wireless (all solid blue light) before moving to Ethernet Backhaul setup.

And the second and third Lyra/Lyra Trio must be in solid green light.

Give it this setting up method a try and feedback in here accordingly.

Recheck your LAN ports/cables to see is they are in good order too.

Your network map on the ASUS Lyra App should be a full 3 green lines connectivity on all nodes and shouldn't be 2 green lines/yellow/red etc.

We have tested internally and bench using 9x ASUS Lyra all together on Ethernet Backhaul with all full 3 green lines connectivity with 59 WiFi devices connected to it.

MQdZdY4.png

ASUS official recommendation is 5x Lyra/5x ASUS Trio per network setup.

Last edited:

kwekey

Reaction score
Thanks Maylyn,

Wow, your result showing all green lines looks impressive..

Anyway, I would like to confirm as follows:

First, I need to setup all the 3 Lyra Trio using wireless using Lyra App. Do we need to wait for Solid Blue or Solid Cyan? From my past few days experience, I could only see Blinking Blue.

After setting up wirelessly, then i will move on to Ethernet Backhaul setup using this https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/1034951
Do I need to use Lyra App to configure anything at this stage?

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to add the ASUS Lyra Trio to one's existing ASUS Lyra network?

Yes, it's possible to add the ASUS Lyra Trio to one's existing ASUS Lyra network whether on wireless or Ethernet backhaul.

One needs to make sure all the ASUS Lyra's and ASUS Lyra Trio's firmware are up to date. (latest firmware)

But it doesn't work in other way around.
ASUS Lyra Trio (main) ~> ASUS Lyra, or ASUS Lyra Trio (main) ~> ASUS Lyra Trio ~> ASUS Lyra etc.

8HcKeHp.jpg

HUF6iYV.png

4fYRtQR.png

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks Maylyn,

Wow, your result showing all green lines looks impressive..

Anyway, I would like to confirm as follows:

First, I need to setup all the 3 Lyra Trio using wireless using Lyra App. Do we need to wait for Solid Blue or Solid Cyan? From my past few days experience, I could only see Blinking Blue.

After setting up wirelessly, then i will move on to Ethernet Backhaul setup using this https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/1034951
Do I need to use Lyra App to configure anything at this stage?

Light Cyan to be specific, there isn't solid blue.

Just connect from the main node ~> second node ~> third node with the Ethernet cable. Make sure the second and third node LED is solid green colour.

Last edited:

kwekey

Reaction score
Light Cyan to be specific, there isn't solid blue.

Just connect from the main node ~> second node ~> third node with the Ethernet cable. Make sure the second and third node LED is solid green colour.

Roger that.. I will give it another tonight... Thank you!

kwekey

Reaction score
Hi Maylyn,

I have tried the re-configure again. But still no good...

Below is what i have done step by step..

1 Reset all 3 nodes to Factory setting
2 Connect node #1 to (WAN -> Router)
3 Power on and wait for White LED
4 Use Lyra App to configure it
5 Power On node #2 (without connection) and wait for White LED
6 Use Lyra App to add node #2, LED becomes Solid Cyan
7 Power On node #3 (without connection) and wait for White LED
8 Use Lyra App to add node #3, LED becomes Solid Cyan
9 Power off node #2 and node 3
10 Connect external LAN cable as follows:
- Router->Switch-> node #1 (WAN)
- node #1 (LAN) -> node #2(WAN)
- node #2 (LAN) -> node #3 (WAN)
11 Power ON node#2 and node#3 and wait for all node#2 and node#3 turns Green LED

Lyra App shows Green line connection between node#1 to node#2 and node#3
*****So Far So Good*****

12 Power Off node #2 and node #3 and disconnect from external LAN cable
13 Connect node#2 and node#3 to ethernet backhaul (LAN point at Living Room and Bed Room)
- Router->Switch->Node#1(WAN)
->Switch->Node#2(WAN)
->Switch->Node#3(WAN)
14 Power ON node#2 and node#3
- node#2 turns solid green
- node#3 turns solid Cyan
15 Try to reset power to node#3.
- node#2 turns solid Cyan
- node#3 turns solid Green
16 Try to reset power to node#2 again
- node#2 turns solid Green
- node#3 turns solid Cyan

No matter how, I was unable to get node#2 and node#3 to be green at the same time
*** Result for is No good

I try to connect a LAN cable from node#1 (LAN) back to the Switch
- Router->Switch->node#1(WAN)
->Switch->node#1(LAN)
->Switch->node#2(WAN)
->Switch->node#3(WAN)
Managed to get node#1 to Cyan and node#2, node#3 to Green

But the internet connection when i go near node#2 and node#3 is unstable.
Sometime good, Sometime it weak and slow, Sometimes no connection...
:(

I am giving up... Can I bring it down to Asus service center to check or setup for me?

kwekey

Reaction score
Below are the diagrammatic explanation of my setup procedures.. Please help to see what is wrong....

1. Setup 3 nodes using wireless backhaul at one location
s!AtnDJXsLjJJcxD7otrHdBQE4KjwV

2. Setup 3 nodes using ethernet backhaul also at one location
s!AtnDJXsLjJJcxD85xXNTgfRcYHUJ

3. Deploy each node to actual location connect to LAN port at each room
s!AtnDJXsLjJJcxEBQp_74-0jbGP2A

Results:
Connection near node#1 is good.

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Below are the diagrammatic explanation of my setup procedures.. Please help to see what is wrong....

1. Setup 3 nodes using wireless backhaul at one location
1.jpg

2. Setup 3 nodes using ethernet backhaul also at one location
2.jpg

3. Deploy each node to actual location connect to LAN port at each room
3.jpg

Results:
Connection near node#1 is good.
Fixed images for you.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.