Malaysia prepaid card

kitkat2

Reaction score
Hi people, can introduce sim card (Data unlimited or limited) and package for me?

I enter Johor at least once a week.

choose any of the MNO's. digi for cheaper rates, celcom's xpax or maxis hotlink if you are willing to pay more. check each telco's website to see which one matches your usage needs and wallet size.

since you go to malaysia frequently, you don't need extended validity sought after by many in this thread. topup frequently and your card will be alive.

razorlala

Banned
Reaction score
Dont get maxis hotlink sim card.

******* stupid.

Simcard rm10, then need buy package to use.
Then aft think 3mths,card will inactive, need topup to reactivate. If topup before inactive, will not refresh the 3mth. Must wait inactive then topup then the 3mth will refresh

AS1

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dont get maxis hotlink sim card.

******* stupid.

Simcard rm10, then need buy package to use.
Then aft think 3mths,card will inactive, need topup to reactivate. If topup before inactive, will not refresh the 3mth. Must wait inactive then topup then the 3mth will refresh

haven't yet got situation where will not use for 3 months. In my case, i keep a 5rm ticket handy for when need to top up to keep the sim alive. Last resort is emergency top up using the app.

kitkat2

Reaction score
Thanks. Buy directly at the telcos (inside the malls) there?

which 1 has ease of convenience for topping up and tracking usage? prefer topping up via SG credit card with mobile app.

there are many topup channels offering discounts: lazada, shopee, 11street, qoo10, etc.

razorlala

Banned
Reaction score
i alrdy have a maxis sim but its inactive now.. need to topup rm10 to be active for another 2 mths, im thinking, since i go msia every few months, mostly for a day only, wouldnt be worth to topup rm10, spend rm3 for 1day data, then next visit need topup rm10 again to reactivate.

for my case, which sim is the best?

is there a sim that dont require you to topup to keep it from being inactive? or active period is longer like half to a year?

in msia use also for grab nia

Last edited:

steven168z

Master Member
Reaction score
i just reactivated my 2 Tron simcard by topup rm10 and it will extend expire date 365days

Tron 2 Tron
Enjoy cheaper call rates between Tron

Voice Duration Tron 2 Tron
First 250 minutes (Monthly) FREE Promotion!
http://www.tron.com.my/tron-lite-sim/rates/

no wonder my credit never use finish

Last edited:

razorlala

Banned
Reaction score
No need rm10, just go to Aeons customer service or 7-11 and ask for rm5 topup voucher, each rm5 will get 5 days active + whatever days inactive for your sim. usually I will buy rm50 (=10 pcs rm5 voucher), validity is about 2 years, so every 1.5 months just use ussd code to keep it alive (if in sg).

The thing is liddat my sim card balance will keep expanding.
Its more likely the sim will turn inactive before the next time i go msia.
Each time go also use rm3 for 1day data nia.

Like abit bohua. Wondering if got sims with longer active period

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Take a look at OneXOX then, an MVNO riding on Celcom network.

Long validity... but I'm not sure if the data cost agrees with your expectation.

kitkat2

Reaction score

if you sim turning inactive before your next visit, buy rm1 credit share from sellers on shopee.

been telling everyone to choose ecommerce sites over regular channels, but nobody listen :s8:

AS1

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For hotlink, they have user emergency top up if for some reason cannot top up on your own. costs rm3.60 and single use per charge. Extends to another 3 months grace.

razorlala

Banned
Reaction score
if you sim turning inactive before your next visit, buy rm1 credit share from sellers on shopee.

been telling everyone to choose ecommerce sites over regular channels, but nobody listen :s8:

hi all, if my current account status is "INACTIVE ACCOUNT", topup rm1 can reactivate it? or must topup rm10?

previously i did emergency topup of $1 2days before termination date, my account from inactive become active, can buy data plan. but the termination date still 2days later.
i spoke to their CSO they say must rm10 to extend the termination date to another 3months. is this true?

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, most Hotlink cards have 50 days' grace period; it depends on the version as I've heard of some really older ones with longer grace period.

Basically, RM1 reload gives 1 day's validity, so RM10 gives 10 days. But emergency top-up from Hotlink gives a different/shorter validity. Got to check their website for this info.

Not sure how this RM10 giving 3 months come about.... What version is your Hotlink card, razorlala?

razorlala

Banned
Reaction score
As far as I know, most Hotlink cards have 50 days' grace period; it depends on the version as I've heard of some really older ones with longer grace period.

Basically, RM1 reload gives 1 day's validity, so RM10 gives 10 days. But emergency top-up from Hotlink gives a different/shorter validity. Got to check their website for this info.

Not sure how this RM10 giving 3 months come about.... What version is your Hotlink card, razorlala?
https://imgur.com/a/3U2NA
yGAJG3U.png

ow8IGbp.png

Basically lets say termination date is 23april, now is 20april,account already inactive.
I do emergency rm1 topup, account becomes active. I buy 7day data plan. The termination date remains the same despite rm1 topup. So end up i can only use 3 out of 7days of the data plan cause they terminate me.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Basically lets say termination date is 23april, now is 20april,account already inactive.
I do emergency rm1 topup, account becomes active. I buy 7day data plan. The termination date remains the same despite rm1 topup. So end up i can only use 3 out of 7days of the data plan cause they terminate me.

Something to note: Top-up (the regular one, not Hotlink SOS) for Hotlink (and most others) doesn't stack, so the number of days will start from the day reload is done.

You may check the FAQ here - https://www.hotlink.com.my/en/my-hotlink/do-more-with-hotlink/top-up/sos-top-up.html - or contact their CSO regarding this service. (I've never done this, but I think there are some restrictions when you choose to activate your line with it.)

Basically, there are 3 stages:
Active
Passive/Inactive aka Grace Period
Terminated - at this stage, you'll have to buy a new SIM card.

razorlala

Banned
Reaction score
Something to note: Top-up (the regular one, not Hotlink SOS) for Hotlink (and most others) doesn't stack, so the number of days will start from the day reload is done.

You may check the FAQ here - https://www.hotlink.com.my/en/my-hotlink/do-more-with-hotlink/top-up/sos-top-up.html - or contact their CSO regarding this service. (I've never done this, but I think there are some restrictions when you choose to activate your line with it.)

Basically, there are 3 stages:
Active
Passive/Inactive aka Grace Period
Terminated - at this stage, you'll have to buy a new SIM card.

meaning when u topup any amount(not sos topup), the active period will refresh for how many days?

according to the site, if account is inactive, topup rm5, active for 5days,
top up rm1 via share a topup, active for 1 day?

Also, when purchasing data, whats the diff between passes and hotlinkmu?

kitkat2

Reaction score
meaning when u topup any amount(not sos topup), the active period will refresh for how many days?

according to the site, if account is inactive, topup rm5, active for 5days,
top up rm1 via share a topup, active for 1 day?

Also, when purchasing data, whats the diff between passes and hotlinkmu?

if your number is previously passive, receiving credit via transfer will not reactivate data. you need to topup via channels that give maxis revenue, otherwise you cannot use data. credit injection by transfer is good for extending the life of your hotlink number though. your number will become active again briefly, and then followed by the full cycle of 50 days grace.

you are not always eligible for sos topup. i heard you need to make 2 successive revenue topups before you can request for sos topup.

maxis put in place a lot of unpublished restrictions to safeguard their revenue. this is what i really don't like about maxis.

Last edited:

kitkat2

Reaction score
lost my celcom prepaid. went to get a replacement sim card. surprisingly, replacement is free of charge. but number has to be active first, meaning i had to reload. reload means revenue to telco.

not too bad considering in singapore we have to pay $37.45!

wx1TBEo.jpg

koohansen

Master Member
Reaction score
I have been using Maxis aka Hotlink since 2008. And I don't really frequent Malaysia. There's this old plan called "BAGUS WM" which is no longer available to new cards. They have an option to pay RM $33 for 1 year validity. Digi used to have that, but they no longer offer it.

I'm not a fan of Maxis, but their coverage and speed seems to do better on most parts of Malaysia.

For those interested on how to do it,
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4177316/all

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
lost my celcom prepaid. went to get a replacement sim card. surprisingly, replacement is free of charge. but number has to be active first, meaning i had to reload. reload means revenue to telco.

not too bad considering in singapore we have to pay $37.45!

I even got mine changed to nano-SIM FOC from Celcom too. Was told there's no charge so long as it's at least 6 months or 1 year - can't remember which.

SG? Not only chargeable but super-high too.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have been using Maxis aka Hotlink since 2008. And I don't really frequent Malaysia. There's this old plan called "BAGUS WM" which is no longer available to new cards. They have an option to pay RM $33 for 1 year validity. Digi used to have that, but they no longer offer it.

I'm not a fan of Maxis, but their coverage and speed seems to do better on most parts of Malaysia.

For those interested on how to do it,
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4177316/all

As far as I know, Digi still has the option for validity extension, known as Super Long Life. The rates though, depend on the SIM card/account version, and the newer ones are more costly.

I still consider my Bagus a primary line, while I fall back on Digi which has free basic internet, just in case.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.