Back from South island New Zealand

liemsc

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Need some help!

I'm planning to go to Southern NZ in May and I'm currently looking at the options that are available for transportation.
My idea is book a motorhome.

There are plenty of options ranging from Jucy, Apollo, Hippie, Cheapa and so on. Any recommendations in terms of vehicle reliability, cost, and ease of service should anything happen.

Oh yah, I'm flying in to Christchurch and fly out the same way.

Thanks in advance :s13:

I suggest you go to rankers.co.nz website. They have review ratings for the various motorhome companies.

NoTimeToWaitAr

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Need some help!

I'm planning to go to Southern NZ in May and I'm currently looking at the options that are available for transportation.
My idea is book a motorhome.

There are plenty of options ranging from Jucy, Apollo, Hippie, Cheapa and so on. Any recommendations in terms of vehicle reliability, cost, and ease of service should anything happen.

Oh yah, I'm flying in to Christchurch and fly out the same way.

Thanks in advance :s13:

Never tried jucy but I've seen quite a number on the road.

winguy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bfrs5g.png

Does one usually opt for Roadside Cover? Thanks.

And from previous posts, petrol got to pay with cash? Any rough gauge on how much cash to set aside for petrol?

Last edited:

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bfrs5g.png

And from previous posts, petrol got to pay with cash? Any rough gauge on how much cash to set aside for petrol?

How much is the roadside cover? I can't rmb my tnc, I just get the full insurance. Don't rmb got roadside cover not or it's already included.

Petrol can pay with cc. Some smaller station got no pple. So self service and only payable via cc with pin. I never tried before cause I don't know my pin. Just fill up during day time.

my petrol about 400. travelled about 2200km or so I think? drove a vios or similar. can't rmb.

Last edited:

angcsbenny

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bfrs5g.png

Roadside cover is for issues due to your own fault. It probably won't cost much even if you really need it I'm assuming.

Sent from OPPO X9076 using GAGT

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bfrs5g.png

I did, coz it was my honeymoon and i didnt want any hiccups due to trying to save that few dollars a day.
Probably unnecessary though

I took zero excess also. Tt came in handy coz i went over a rock during parking. Front bumper area cracked. Luckily got zero excess... No question asked. Would have been a problem if need to settle the damage coz i got less than an hr to catch my domestic flight

angcsbenny

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think no excess plan is necessary for New Zealand. Thankfully nothing happened to my car cause I took the 2000$ excess plan, but I would had choose no excess if I went again.

yxerin

Reaction score
I didn't take excess reduction when I rented my car and travelled from Auckland to Queenstown. However, I bought personal travel insurance, which provided some excess reduction.

If you really want excess reduction, buying travel insurance (which comes with excess reduction) is cheaper than buying from the car rental company.

I didn't buy roadside cover. Typically, no need for roadside cover as long as you keep your petrol tank filled.

belgarathc

Reaction score
I didnt take up any insurance coverage from the car rental company during my trip too. But my travel insurance does cover car rental albeit with an excess. I remember some of the travel insurance policies mentioned that we still need to take up insurance from the rental company. This is the part I find confusing. Luckily, except for a flat battery which a helpful staff from OGO helped jumpstart, I didn't encounter any car problem.

angcsbenny

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, most travel insurance will only cover car rental when you have already taken those 0 excess plans. I always thought travel insurance would lessen my excess until my colleague told me otherwise.

yxerin

Reaction score
Yes, most travel insurance will only cover car rental when you have already taken those 0 excess plans. I always thought travel insurance would lessen my excess until my colleague told me otherwise.

Hmm..this doesn't seem right. If you buy 0 excess plan from the car rental company, then there is absolutely no need for you to claim anything from your travel insurance and there is no need for the travel insurance plan to include car excess reduction. Cuz you are covered completely by the car rental company already.

I didnt take up any insurance coverage from the car rental company during my trip too. But my travel insurance does cover car rental albeit with an excess. I remember some of the travel insurance policies mentioned that we still need to take up insurance from the rental company. This is the part I find confusing. Luckily, except for a flat battery which a helpful staff from OGO helped jumpstart, I didn't encounter any car problem.

By default, car rentals in New Zealand require a minimum level of insurance coverage. The cost of this insurance coverage is included in the cost of your car rental whether you like it or not. There is no opting out. So even if you don't buy additional insurance from the car rental company, and if you completely wreck the car in some accident, the maximum you will have to pay is typically $1500 or $2000 (depending on which car rental company you rented from). Some travel insurance plans will allow you to claim this excess if you do get into an accident and end up paying the $1500/$2000 to the car rental company.

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My reasoning to get zero excess from the rental company is for hassle free in the event that anything should araise upon returning of the car.

Say u don't have zero access but got travel insurance with coverage. When returning car, there's some dent or what. U need do paperwork etc then claim afterwards. Claiming after is still ok but the paperwork when returning the car might be a issue especially if you return before your flight. Say because of it, you missed your flight or something which cause more problem. Hence more troublesome.

With zero excess, u just drop the car when return without worries.

Some people may have different opinions but each to it's own. Unless I understand how the coverage and insurance works wrongly.

belgarathc

Reaction score
Here's NTUC Income policy wordings:

A If there is a loss or damage to your
rental vehicle due to an accident
during your trip.
You must prove the following.
1 That the rental vehicle is rented
from a licensed rental agency
and you were either a named
driver or co-driver of the
vehicle. You must provide
copies of the vehicle rental
agreement, the receipt showing
payment of the rental excess or
deductible and any reports to
do with the accident or the lost
or damaged rental vehicle.
2 You must have arranged
comprehensive motor
insurance when hiring the
vehicle so that the policy will
pay for the loss or damage of
the vehicle throughout the rental period

Point 2 sounds like we need to get comprehensive coverage?

Anyway I checked my vehicle rental. You are right. Even though I did not top up, it came with default coverage with a $3000 excess. Comprehensive coverage (0 excess) cost $20 a day. For 21 day rental, it will cost me $420. Paying $420 to cover $3000 risk is rather excessive to me.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My reasoning to get zero excess from the rental company is for hassle free in the event that anything should araise upon returning of the car.

Say u don't have zero access but got travel insurance with coverage. When returning car, there's some dent or what. U need do paperwork etc then claim afterwards. Claiming after is still ok but the paperwork when returning the car might be a issue especially if you return before your flight. Say because of it, you missed your flight or something which cause more problem. Hence more troublesome.

With zero excess, u just drop the car when return without worries.

Some people may have different opinions but each to it's own. Unless I understand how the coverage and insurance works wrongly.
Yah, it is the hassle free part.
As i mentioned earlier, it saved me from missing my flight. Coz the rental company only open at 8am, while my domestic flight is at 855. I shld have paid extra and opt for dropping off the car before 8 instead, but the rental car ppl assured me tt i have ample time when i was collecting the car.

So it is really up to individual whether it is worth it to pay tt amount for the convenience.

yxerin

Reaction score
Yah, it is the hassle free part.
As i mentioned earlier, it saved me from missing my flight. Coz the rental company only open at 8am, while my domestic flight is at 855. I shld have paid extra and opt for dropping off the car before 8 instead, but the rental car ppl assured me tt i have ample time when i was collecting the car.

So it is really up to individual whether it is worth it to pay tt amount for the convenience.

Yes, to each his own. Sometimes, paying more for convenience is not wrong.

angcsbenny

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Here's NTUC Income policy wordings:

A If there is a loss or damage to your
rental vehicle due to an accident
during your trip.
You must prove the following.
1 That the rental vehicle is rented
from a licensed rental agency
and you were either a named
driver or co-driver of the
vehicle. You must provide
copies of the vehicle rental
agreement, the receipt showing
payment of the rental excess or
deductible and any reports to
do with the accident or the lost
or damaged rental vehicle.
2 You must have arranged
comprehensive motor
insurance when hiring the
vehicle so that the policy will
pay for the loss or damage of
the vehicle throughout the rental period

Point 2 sounds like we need to get comprehensive coverage?

Anyway I checked my vehicle rental. You are right. Even though I did not top up, it came with default coverage with a $3000 excess. Comprehensive coverage (0 excess) cost $20 a day. For 21 day rental, it will cost me $420. Paying $420 to cover $3000 risk is rather excessive to me.
Yes the comprehensive part is quite gray. But my colleagues could not claim because of it.

ZigguratZ

Reaction score
Any bros here tried water rafting in new zealand before ? which is better between Tongariro White Water and MOHAKA WHITE WATER ADVENTURE ?

ZigguratZ

Reaction score
Any idea whether can we bring instant cup noodle over ? Seems like their customs is very strict ...

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I bought Maggie, sauce, uncooked rice/porridge no problem.

Is those meat then got problem.

Think cup noodle is ok.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.