[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS Lyra Trio - Corner to Corner WiFi

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Below are the diagrammatic explanation of my setup procedures.. Please help to see what is wrong....

1. Setup 3 nodes using wireless backhaul at one location
s!AtnDJXsLjJJcxD7otrHdBQE4KjwV

2. Setup 3 nodes using ethernet backhaul also at one location
s!AtnDJXsLjJJcxD85xXNTgfRcYHUJ

3. Deploy each node to actual location connect to LAN port at each room
s!AtnDJXsLjJJcxEBQp_74-0jbGP2A

Results:
Connection near node#1 is good.
But the internet connection when i go near node#2 and node#3 is unstable.
Sometime good, Sometime it weak and slow, Sometimes no connection...
Just a guess but isn't the Asus Lyra a standalone device and putting the router behind it will cause a double NAT ?

kwekey

Reaction score
Just a guess but isn't the Asus Lyra a standalone device and putting the router behind it will cause a double NAT ?

My main router is located at the yard where the Fibre point terminates. I disable the wifi on the main router and basically use it as a router function.

Since all my rooms are connected to the main router via cat-6 cable all around my house, and Lyra-Trio supports ethernet backhaul, I thought it should give me best possible wifi connection in every room. This also what the Sales person claimed to be during IT show.

So whether it will cause any problem with my topology, I really need some expects in HWZ forum or Asus technical person to advice...

dryteletubby

Reaction score
My main router is located at the yard where the Fibre point terminates. I disable the wifi on the main router and basically use it as a router function.

Since all my rooms are connected to the main router via cat-6 cable all around my house, and Lyra-Trio supports ethernet backhaul, I thought it should give me best possible wifi connection in every room. This also what the Sales person claimed to be during IT show.

So whether it will cause any problem with my topology, I really need some expects in HWZ forum or Asus technical person to advice...

The Asus Lyra is already a router by itself. Maybe replace the router with a Lyra so your setup will be like ONT>Lyra>switch>2 other Lyra's and other wired devices

i-Movies

Reaction score

you need to change the first Lyra to AP mode else it will build another NAT.
https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/1034950/

kwekey

Reaction score
you need to change the first Lyra to AP mode else it will build another NAT.
https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/1034950/

Thanks Movies,

So, what is the actual steps?
For examples if I were to do factory reset.

I need to connect to each node one by one and configure them as AP mode,
then connect the first node (WAN) to router, configure it as main node and continue with the rest of nodes via wireless backhaul?

Then, do I still need to daisy chain the nodes to and wait for Green LED on the second and third nodes before deploying them to the actual location?
https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/1034951https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/1034951

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Thanks Movies,

then connect the first node (WAN) to router, configure it as main node and continue with the rest of nodes via wireless backhaul?

Then, do I still need to daisy chain the nodes to and wait for Green LED on the second and third nodes before deploying them to the actual location?
https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/1034951https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/1034951
https://www.facebook.com/hns.sgp/

ridney

Reaction score
Maybe you need to connect your Lyra APs to the switch using the LAN port? Not sure why you used WAN instead

i-Movies

Reaction score
Thanks Movies,

I don't own Asus Lyra / Lyra Trio, but I don't think any of Mesh product supports erthnet backhaul setup as shown in Pic3, in Pic3 your node2/node3 all link back to the Router which is placed before primary Lyra Trio node 1.

As my knowledge, Mesh network is managed by primary node (can be in Router mode or AP mode), so for erthnet backhaul you need to setup

either, Modem -> Router -> Node 1 -> Node 2 -> Node 3 (it is ur Pic2 setup)

or, Modem -> Router -> Node 1 -> Switch -> Node 2 and Node 3

your Pic3 doesn't use erthnet backhaul even they are wired, node 2/node 3 are using wireless backhaul to node 1.

because living room / master room cables are linked to yard, the only option to setup for erthnet backhaul is, i guess, use Lyra node 1 as Router to replace your existing Router.

Modem -> Node 1 -> Switch -> Node 2 and Node 3

(don't blame me if i am wrong :))

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Below are the diagrammatic explanation of my setup procedures.. Please help to see what is wrong....

1. Setup 3 nodes using wireless backhaul at one location
1.jpg

2. Setup 3 nodes using ethernet backhaul also at one location
2.jpg

3. Deploy each node to actual location connect to LAN port at each room
3.jpgA

Results:
Connection near node#1 is good.
But the internet connection when i go near node#2 and node#3 is unstable.
Sometime good, Sometime it weak and slow, Sometimes no connection...

Hmm .... Which of the above is your actual setup now?

If you on diagram 3 .... It's unfeasible as the main node needs to be the controller and same subnet with the the other 2 in Ethernet BackHaul configuration.

Main Lyra Trio (LAN) ~> switch?* correct me if i'm wrong (ideally should be like diagram2 setup without going through the switch) ~> without going back to the router ~> wired to Lyra Trio 2 (WAN) ~> wired to Lyra Trio 3 (WAN)

Or do wireless backhaul to Lyra Trio 2 and Lyra Trio 3

Or set all in AP mode for diagram 3 removing the LAN part @ main node to work

Last edited:

kwekey

Reaction score
Hi Maylyn, iMovies,

With the help from a Asus staff who is also my ex-collegue, I managed to get it up and working.. I would like to share what we have done.

First, set up all the 3 Trio nodes as usual over wireless backhaul using Lyra App.
This is can be done at one location. No need to position the nodes far away..
All 3 nodes should display Solid Cyan after a while.
sd1fgp.jpg

Second, leave all the 3 nodes power on, use Lyra App to configure the nodes to AP mode. Since the 3 nodes works like a single device with single ssid, all 3 nodes will be configured to AP mode at one go.

Third, power off all the nodes and:
- Remove the existing cable connecting the switch and WAN port of node 1 and connect it to LAN port of node 1
- Deploy node 2 to actual location and connect cable from Ethernet point to LAN port of node 2
- Deploy node 3 to actual location and connect cable from Ethernet point to LAN port of node 3

Lastly, power on all nodes and wait for a while until:
- Node 1 turns Solid Cyan
- Node 2 turns Solid Green
- Node 3 turns Solid Green

9jki9u.jpg

Now, I am getting great speeds of 100~300mbps (down) and 400~600 (up) on all the 3 units using speedtest App on my handphone

But, there is one thing Asus can improve on the Trio.
I noticed that the nodes get a little warm after a long while, especially when you are going to leave it on for 24/7.
So, I would like to suggest to Asus to:
- Deem the LED lights when there is no traffic after a certain time frame
- Reduce the wifi transmission power when is no traffic after a certain time frame
- When there is any traffic or connection, it will resume normal brightness and wifi power

"Time frame" to be configurable by user. I believe this should be able to achieve through firmware upgrades..

I think this will increase the lifespan of the device and save energy.

Last edited:

i-Movies

Reaction score
Hi Maylyn, iMovies,

With the help from a Asus staff who is also my ex-collegue, I managed to get it up and working.. I would like to share what we have done.

First, set up all the 3 Trio nodes as usual over wireless backhaul using Lyra App.
s!AtnDJXsLjJJcxD7otrHdBQE4KjwV

Second, leave all the 3 nodes power on, use Lyra App to configure the nodes to AP mode. Since the 3 nodes works like a single device with single ssid, all 3 nodes will be configured to AP mode at one go.

- Remove the existing cable connecting the switch and WAN port of node 1 and connect it to LAN port of node 1
- Deploy node 2 to actual location and connect cable from Ethernet point to LAN port of node 2
- Deploy node 3 to actual location and connect cable from Ethernet point to LAN port of node 3

s!AtnDJXsLjJJcxD85xXNTgfRcYHUJ

Now, I am getting great speeds of 100~300mbps (down) and 400~600 (up) on all the 3 units using speedtest App on my handphone

But, there is one think Asus can improve on the Trio.
I noticed that the nodes get a little warm after a long while, especially when you are going to leave it on for 24/7.
- Reduce the wifi transmission power when is no traffic after a certain time frame
- When there is any traffic or connection, it will resume normal brightness and wifi power

"Time frame" to be configurable by user. I believe this should be able to achieve through firmware upgrades..

thanks for sharing, Lyra's ethernet backhaul is by connecting to Node1's Lan port? is this Asus' AiMesh's special setup? good to know...

BTW i can't see your diagrams/pictures.

kwekey

Reaction score
thanks for sharing, Lyra's ethernet backhaul is by connecting to Node1's Lan port? is this Asus' AiMesh's special setup? good to know...

BTW i can't see your diagrams/pictures.

I do not know how to upload pictures properly :s13:.... Maybe administrator can help..
I am not sure about Asus Aimesh setup but i hope it can help others who have purchased Lyra Trio and wanted to setup as ethernet backhaul..

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Maylyn, iMovies,

sd1fgp.jpg

9jki9u.jpg

But, there is one think Asus can improve on the Trio.

Nice to see you have set it up and running properly ;)

As for dimming of the LED lights and lower the WiFi transmission rate, power saving mode (PSM). ASUS TW HQ might look into to see whether is it possible to implement in future firmware updates or not.

If you not asking me, it's will be hard and challenging to determine what is no activity/low activity .... it's not easy just to say no WiFi activity/low activity as in one is not using their WiFi/mobile devices or not. Different WiFi devices have different PSM as well. Same applies to the brighten up of the LED due to activity.

Notifications like WhatsApp, LINE and Apps notifications are pushed out automatically 24/7 to one's WiFi/mobile devices when one is sleeping.

Time frame sounds good on theory but isn't it's becoming a chore to one whom have to keep adjusting it when to perform at it's fullest or goes in Power Saving mode IMO?

As for dimming of LED lights, it's probably feasible. For the time being, one can turn it off on the ASUS Lyra app if deem too bright or distracting.

kwekey

Reaction score
Nice to see you have set it up and running properly ;)

As for dimming of the LED lights and lower the WiFi transmission rate, power saving mode (PSM). ASUS TW HQ might look into to see whether is it possible to implement in future firmware updates or not.

If you not asking me, it's will be hard and challenging to determine what is no activity/low activity .... it's not easy just to say no WiFi activity/low activity as in one is not using their WiFi/mobile devices or not. Different WiFi devices have different PSM as well. Same applies to the brighten up of the LED due to activity.

Notifications like WhatsApp, LINE and Apps notifications are pushed out automatically 24/7 to one's WiFi/mobile devices when one is sleeping.

Time frame sounds good on theory but isn't it's becoming a chore to one whom have to keep adjusting it when to perform at it's fullest or goes in Power Saving mode IMO?

As for dimming of LED lights, it's probably feasible. For the time being, one can turn it off on the ASUS Lyra app if deem too bright or distracting.

Just my 5 cents worth...in my case, during the day when there is no one at home, probably all nodes will not have any mobile device connected. So if all nodes have zero connection (wifi), it may be determined as standby mode..

Well I think just leave it to Asus to consider..

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Just my 5 cents worth...in my case, during the day when there is no one at home, probably all nodes will not have any mobile device connected. So if all nodes have zero connection (wifi), it may be determined as standby mode..

Well I think just leave it to Asus to consider..

It's not about who's 2/5/10 cents worth :p

ASUS TW HQ networking team will take one's feedback/suggestions seriously to further improve their ASUS networking products.

Just feel free to submit your feedback, suggestions etc to the ASUS TW HQ networking team.

You can either do it via the ASUS Lyra Trio ~> Under Administration ~> Feedback tab.

fX62rxQ.png

Or alternatively drop ASUS TW HQ networking team an email.

Email @ ~> router_feedback@asus.com

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.