[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowpoke

Reaction score
will be collecting the ds918+ soon - promo price of $645.

Am thinking of getting the 2TB toshiba hdd from Tradepac but see that no toshiba 2tb drives are on the compatible list.

any bro know what model is tradepac selling and if it is ok to just go with 4x drives from them?

Last edited:

evildoctor

Reaction score
Using DS918+ with Toshiba HDD. That’s a very good price you get your DS918+ for.

Am thinking of getting the 2TB toshiba hdd from Tradepac but see that no toshiba 2tb drives are on the compatible list.

any bro know what model is tradepac selling and if it is ok to just go with 4x drives from them?

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Do not worry if Toshiba HDD is not in the compatibility list.

I am using 4x 2TB Toshiba HDD in my DS418.
Model: DT01ACA200
Bought from Tradepac too.

locksleychang

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you intend to put electronics in a hidden cabinet, consider cutting air-holes to allow air to circulate. This is best done when you're doing your reno.

I built a cabinet over the DB box/circuit breaker area and asked my contractor to cut a gap in the side. Right now I have a UPS inside together with my fibre ONT and switches. I have a USB fan in there as well, powered by the USB port on the ONT. My NAS is not in there, though. Maybe if I change to a bigger model next time I can put it inside.

tan_hl

Reaction score
If you intend to put electronics in a hidden cabinet, consider cutting air-holes to allow air to circulate. This is best done when you're doing your reno.

I built a cabinet over the DB box/circuit breaker area and asked my contractor to cut a gap in the side. Right now I have a UPS inside together with my fibre ONT and switches. I have a USB fan in there as well, powered by the USB port on the ONT. My NAS is not in there, though. Maybe if I change to a bigger model next time I can put it inside.

thanks... got to find a place to put.. now my router and point all in DB box..

expert here.. any website is good for beginner in synology? i just how DS218 mainly i want to do video and photo.

DS photo seem not very good as in after upload, the photo wont be cleared from Iphone....

zheyan

Reaction score
This price, it's from d Synology loyalty Series12 & below one rite?

TopGun

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

I am using Toshiba drives. Two of each model; MD04ACA500 and HDWE160 in a 412+.

They are noticeably more audible as compared to WD Reds. Not that I am recommending the reds. You can hear the whine of the platters spinning and during seek, its krok krok krok krok all the way. lol.

terryhoho

Reaction score
any1 using DS414? not sure is their sata port or the product is crap.
always give issue on port 2.
The drive volume always degrade , even after changing to brand new hard drive.

i had to workaround by recreate the drive using port 1,3,4 into 1 volume and drive 2 into a isolated volume.even that. the port 2 drive sometimes get disconnected.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

i had to workaround by recreate the drive using port 1,3,4 into 1 volume and drive 2 into a isolated volume.even that. the port 2 drive sometimes get disconnected.

A few brothers here already got it. Common issue. Hardware failure. Contact Synology

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks... got to find a place to put.. now my router and point all in DB box..

expert here.. any website is good for beginner in synology? i just how DS218 mainly i want to do video and photo.

DS photo seem not very good as in after upload, the photo wont be cleared from Iphone....

Learn more here: https://www.synology.com/en-global/support

mike911

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Sharing what I did to recover my slot 2 and 3 (Unable to detect disk issue).
Do note that mine is out of warranty, so it is at your own risk.

I dismantled the chassis until i can reach the sata daughter board. (Below are some references, ifixit is good enough)
Then i just basically cleaned the gold contacts and reseat the board.

Surprisingly after that, it was able to detect my disks and RAID array.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Synology+DiskStation+DS412+RAM+Replacement/34079
http://cheneytseng2008.blogspot.sg/2016/02/how-to-disassmeble-synology-ds414.html

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sharing what I did to recover my slot 2 and 3 (Unable to detect disk issue).
Do note that mine is out of warranty, so it is at your own risk.

I dismantled the chassis until i can reach the sata daughter board. (Below are some references, ifixit is good enough)
Then i just basically cleaned the gold contacts and reseat the board.

Surprisingly after that, it was able to detect my disks and RAID array.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Synology+DiskStation+DS412+RAM+Replacement/34079
http://cheneytseng2008.blogspot.sg/2016/02/how-to-disassmeble-synology-ds414.html
Did for mine. Lasted a few weeks and it came back again.

Went to get replacement, problem free thereafter.

I no time to keep rma my hdd

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I guess the sata gold edge no longer able to grip tight on the HDD/SSD sata gold edge. This could result from aging or frequent plug/unplug action.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.