China Facebook and Google

alangohek

Reaction score
Back from China! To anyone who cares, both the m1 passport data and Starhub prepaid sim are able to access facebook and google in China :)

The network is stable and good even on remote mountain top

Changi WIFI egg is not able to access Facebook & Google ! HTHS!

Hello there, I am heading to Shanghai tomorrow. Can someone please confirm that starhub with data autoroaming can "bypass" the great firewall of China?

zzxxzzxx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello there, I am heading to Shanghai tomorrow. Can someone please confirm that starhub with data autoroaming can "bypass" the great firewall of China?
Any SIM card that is roaming in China is able to access Facebook Google WhatsApp.
So yes. ST Dataroam, SH Happy Prepaid, M1 Data Passport.
All three can access

Steve8831

Reaction score
Hi, traveling to China in 1 week. Is SH Happy Prepaid still able to bypass the Greeat Firewall to use Facebook, Google etc?

tomb

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Should I get changi recommends or get a prepaid card from sg telco?

Gruffy

Reaction score

Bak_Chor_Mee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those that sign up VPN. Please remember to sign in to your account and make sure that auto renewal is turned off! I just checked my monthly statement that i was charged monthly for the past 6 months for this ExpressVPN.. i was shocked and i quickly signed in to my account to check since i only sign it up for my Beijing trip back in May for only a month usage. Haiz.. paying the VPN for nothing for 6 months :(

Energyi5

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I used the starhub postpaid datatravel asia pacific 3GB ($20) plan when I was in Yunnan in November. Connection was rather good in Lijiang and Dali, but I had abit of spotty connection in Tiger Leaping Gorge at some parts on the trail.

Sent from HTC_M9pw using GAGT

just to confirm,platforms like facebook and instagram will not be blocked?thanks

Last edited:

joesph

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those that sign up VPN. Please remember to sign in to your account and make sure that auto renewal is turned off! I just checked my monthly statement that i was charged monthly for the past 6 months for this ExpressVPN.. i was shocked and i quickly signed in to my account to check since i only sign it up for my Beijing trip back in May for only a month usage. Haiz.. paying the VPN for nothing for 6 months :(
ya have to read terms and conditions, and, read monthly statements before six months

Sent from Samsung SM-G950F using GAGT

zzxxzzxx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
has anyone tried starhub postpaid data travel?http://www.starhub.com/personal/mob...g/postpaid-roaming/data-plans/datatravel.html
seem like many prefer their prepaid happy roam more?any reasons?

IF you do not have a PostPaid ST or M1 or SH.

If you feel Paying the amount to get M1 Data Passport is abit too expensive, or your local data plan is not that great to pay $25 for China.
Basic plans starts from 3GB?

If you feel paying the amount to get ST ReadyRoam is abit too expensive.
For China, it's $20 for 1GB for 30 Days.

If you feel paying the amount to get SH Data Travel is abit too expensive.
For China, it's $15 for 2GB for 30 Days or $20 for 3GB for 30 Days.

SH Happy Prepaid HappyRoam Cost:
$20 for 3.6GB for 30 Days
$15 for 2.4GB for 30 Days
$10 for 1.2GB for 30 Days

zzxxzzxx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just to confirm,platforms like facebook and instagram will not be blocked?thanks

Any SIM card that is roaming in China is able to access Facebook Google WhatsApp.
So yes. ST Dataroam, SH Happy Prepaid, M1 Data Passport.
All three can access

Postpaid - Singtel ReadyRoam

Postpaid - M1 Data Passport

Postpaid - Starhub DataTravel

Prepaid - Starhub Happy Prepaid - Happy Roam
$8 ($10 Credit)
$15 ($18 Credit)
$32 ($32 Credit)
$50 ($50 Credit)

exst0rm

Reaction score
Xinjiang

Hi! Did anyone travelled to xinjiang using starhub happy roam? How is the connection

buzzmario

Reaction score
IF you do not have a PostPaid ST or M1 or SH.

If you feel Paying the amount to get M1 Data Passport is abit too expensive, or your local data plan is not that great to pay $25 for China.
Basic plans starts from 3GB?

If you feel paying the amount to get ST ReadyRoam is abit too expensive.
For China, it's $20 for 1GB for 30 Days.

If you feel paying the amount to get SH Data Travel is abit too expensive.
For China, it's $15 for 2GB for 30 Days or $20 for 3GB for 30 Days.

SH Happy Prepaid HappyRoam Cost:
$20 for 3.6GB for 30 Days
$15 for 2.4GB for 30 Days
$10 for 1.2GB for 30 Days

hi for the starhub card, activation is here in singapore or when reached china?

thanks

madcampus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi! Did anyone travelled to xinjiang using starhub happy roam? How is the connection

All these autoroam network highly depends on the local network provider. Starhub is just a middleman to connect you to their partner's network. Your connection will be the same as any local subscriber using the same network in that area, just that you are a foreigner, they disable the "great wall" for you to access Facebook, google, instagram, twitter, etc.

Reaction score
All these autoroam network highly depends on the local network provider. Starhub is just a middleman to connect you to their partner's network. Your connection will be the same as any local subscriber using the same network in that area, just that you are a foreigner, they disable the "great wall" for you to access Facebook, google, instagram, twitter, etc.

Some time ago, someone who was far more knowledgable technically than myself told me that when we are roaming, the internet traffic is still routed back to our home telco's internet proxy server. This then explained why foreigners using roaming could gain access to sites that are blocked in the PRC.

I accidentally 'tested' this claim one day when roaming using Starhub prepaid in Malaysia on a particularly slow connection. I kept getting a proxy time-out message from Starhub.

:s22: :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.