The Singapore Arcade Scene is dead

R9-Type

Reaction score
Hi,

I had been overseas for more than a year and came back to Singapore a couple of weeks ago. First day back and enthusiastically heading to Virtualand Bugis for some great old school arcade gaming, just to get the shock of my life: there is a Challenger where once was the #1 arcade spot in Singapore. I mean it wasn't just an arcade, it was a place to meet and learn from the pros, either in racing, fighting, or bemani. Also the crowd wasn’t just kids or teens, you could go there - no matter which age - and found likewise people for a round of good old 2D shootem-up.

I still can't believe they closed down Virtualand Bugis. However, facing the reality I started my journey to find a comparable replacement. I checked Bugis+, Dhoby Ghout, Vivo, Nex, Tiong Bahru, nothing is like Bugis once was.

Can anyone suggest an arcade place which comes close to former Bugis? Or is the arcade scene in Singapore really dead?

Thanks
Mike

BTW: I boycott Challenger for the rest of my life.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can go vivocity. i have recently saw a fb ad that shows vivocity arcade and its looks quite big. more or less the same size as the bugis junctions.

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Been to several freeplay arcades overseas. No tokens needed just pay a flat rate entry fee(usually 20-30) and you gain access to all the machines inside. I think if SG arcades start this trend it will bring life back to it.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Go to Vivocity...

Bugis location rental may be increasing as some shops may start to move out ...

runforyourlife

Reaction score
Been to several freeplay arcades overseas. No tokens needed just pay a flat rate entry fee(usually 20-30) and you gain access to all the machines inside. I think if SG arcades start this trend it will bring life back to it.

Issit per day?

R9-Type

Reaction score
Thanks for your tips. I had been to Vivo City but 80% of the games are for kids <14yrs.

I look especially for Tekken 7 and only Nex has some T7 machines. Overall Nex might be the one which comes closest to Bugis - from size and type of machines. But still not a real competitor. Sad story here. Seems Tokyo is the last hang-out for the real Arcade freaks.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But when u go over to DG did u go up to Plaza Sing? Still not sure if that arcade still at the top floor near the cinema.

Trans-Am

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For more than 3 years, I did not a single game.

Reason?

1) They kill off a lot of Konami's games. No online function and no new games.

2) It is the same old games . Didn't bring in new game like time crisis.

Sent from :bandit:
Stay low Move fast !
Shoot first Die last !
One shot One kill !
No luck Pure skill !!
:s17: using GAGT

R9-Type

Reaction score
@ZrE0_Cha0s: yes, I was in the top floor arcade. Remember 5 years ago it was pretty huge. Then they moved to the other side of the floor but half of it's former size. In 2016 they had at least 2 Tekken machines. Now it's only kids games with a few Wangan machines.

@Trans-Am: actually they do. Time Crisis 5 was released 2015. In 2017 the lightgun shooter "The Walking Dead" was released and it's not that bad, you might want to give it a try.

@kengarou: jup, seems so. From a fighting game perspective this arcade has most of the pros there, at least for SF4 and other 2D beat-em ups.

I found some retro-machines popping up in Singapore in a Clarke Quay bar called Level Up. They have a handful of arcade games and the pub is quite nice. Another spot is Headquarters Club at Boat Quay, they indeed have a single arcade machine standing beside one of the dancefloors. Their music is good old-school Techno and House and so are the games. You can choose between Pacman, Donkey Kong, Dig Dug and alike. Pretty funny to play a video game right beside a dance floor.

Trans-Am

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@ZrE0_Cha0s: yes, I was in the top floor arcade. Remember 5 years ago it was pretty huge. Then they moved to the other side of the floor but half of it's former size. In 2016 they had at least 2 Tekken machines. Now it's only kids games with a few Wangan machines.

@Trans-Am: actually they do. Time Crisis 5 was released 2015. In 2017 the lightgun shooter "The Walking Dead" was released and it's not that bad, you might want to give it a try.

@kengarou: jup, seems so. From a fighting game perspective this arcade has most of the pros there, at least for SF4 and other 2D beat-em ups.

I found some retro-machines popping up in Singapore in a Clarke Quay bar called Level Up. They have a handful of arcade games and the pub is quite nice. Another spot is Headquarters Club at Boat Quay, they indeed have a single arcade machine standing beside one of the dancefloors. Their music is good old-school Techno and House and so are the games. You can choose between Pacman, Donkey Kong, Dig Dug and alike. Pretty funny to play a video game right beside a dance floor.
I mean as in most of the arcade.

Sent from :bandit:
Stay low Move fast !
Shoot first Die last !
One shot One kill !
No luck Pure skill !!
:s17: using GAGT

AWholeNewWorld

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
not worth it to spend money in arcade anymore. console are cheap as compared to arcade.

chenxiaop

Reaction score

I read somewhere there is going to be a House of the Dead 5. It will be released in Tokyo first, then worldwide.

Dark Escape 4D was an exceptional arcade shooter that got me dumping credits to keep playing. Some experience i thought will never happen again.

Seems like it is only the shooter or fighting games that are still garnering any traction in arcades these days.

The shooter games in particular, the game makers ought to port over all these shooter games to console to maximise their ROI. Having these games solely to arcades really limit the game's outreach.

Anyway the Singapore arcade is dead. I no longer hear of any fighting game tournaments held locally. Gone are the days when you can expect something like a KOF tournament every year.

chenxiaop

Reaction score
not worth it to spend money in arcade anymore. console are cheap as compared to arcade.

Ya, alot of times when i am tempted to try the games at the local arcade, only to be put off by the price.

A lot of games are $2 per credits which is horrendously expensive. Gone are the days when its only 50 cents per token.

Its more worth it to be just buying a console game and can have unlimited plays at the comfort of your own home.

kengarou

Reaction score
i still went to nex to challenge people in kof once in a while. every friday and saturday night plentiful of challengers although it is just one machine only. other days mostly, i play kof online in this emulator called fightcade. there are challengers everyday online day and night.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.