Google dns

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I discovered this yesterday, if you set Google DNS on your router, you can watch websites that are otherwise blocked by imda.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I discovered this yesterday, if you set Google DNS on your router, you can watch websites that are otherwise blocked by imda.

Is there any speed improvement changing to Google dns ? Like loading websites.?

-Synchronicity-

Reaction score

This can be done individually on computers as well. This is also how smart DNS works, allowing you to view Netflix content from other regions.

No...that's not how DNS work....

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score

Technically yes since your devices has to query the DNS server for the IP address require to access. However most ISP own DNS resolvers are quick enough to the point that you will not notice a difference switching.

AC2

Reaction score
This can be done individually on computers as well. This is also how smart DNS works, allowing you to view Netflix content from other regions.

No...that's not how DNS work....

Which smartdns service is better?

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Use the latest CloudFlare DNS 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

Fastest in the world and very secure too with DNS-over-TLS and DNS-over-HTTS

But cannot work in McDonalds and KFC using wireless@SGx, however, can work in the library leh

😆

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Use the latest CloudFlare DNS 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

Fastest in the world and very secure too with DNS-over-TLS and DNS-over-HTTS

But cannot work in McDonalds and KFC using wireless@SGx, however, can work in the library leh

😆

Just tried switching over to it. Still monitoring. Do u see any improving in surfing speeds? Does it unblock stuffs that are geo-blocked ?

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Checkout the VPN thread. Anyway there's only a small handful of smart DNS service which works now due to Netflix goal of screwing everyone.
Sorry, didn't find the vpn thread. I am trying to get Amazon prime that we have in Singapore to get it working on Roku. Can you please suggest some smart DNS that will let me activate Roku as if I was in the US?

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't find the vpn thread. I am trying to get Amazon prime that we have in Singapore to get it working on Roku. Can you please suggest some smart DNS that will let me activate Roku as if I was in the US?

Viewquest has one of those DNS service that spoof your location. If you are not a viewquest subscriber you may just want to use a VPN instead

Just Google USA smart DNS or something along the lines you should be able to find some IP addresses

-Synchronicity-

Reaction score

Roku, Chromecast and Amazon devices(fire TV/stick etc) in general is much more difficult and annoying to setup smartDNS compared to other devices. Reason being many apps in these devices have built in Google DNS which will overwrite the smartDNS.

One of the workarounds is having access to your router and you are able to add routes as well as configure a new primary/secondary DNS.

TL;DR: Roku/Chromecast/Amazon devices are pretty much screwed if you are using singtel. If not, make sure your router can set static routes.

Soyeon

Reaction score
sorry to dig up old thread, if i use DNS on my router or my computer, meaning i can unsubscribe my VPN to watch iplayer bbc already right?

uncle_josh

Reaction score
sorry to dig up old thread, if i use DNS on my router or my computer, meaning i can unsubscribe my VPN to watch iplayer bbc already right?
Wrong.........DNS is to resolve hostname to ip address. It does not create a private tunnel from you pc to the server that you visit.

Sent from 当断不断, 害人害己 using GAGT

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This will only work if you are using a service like the ViewQwest FreedomDNS.
https://viewqwest.com/entertainment/fdns/features

I don't know bout bbc, but some geo-locked sites will do a DNS query to determine your geo location. There are people who write elaborate scripts to hijack the dns requests and reroute them to where these checks will return the "correct" values.

Another similar service: https://whatismyipaddress.com/smart-dns

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.