[ADVISE]: Part-Time Diploma In Infocomm & Digital Media in NYP

Calvin.Lee

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am 45 this year have only N level cert but I'm very interested and have great passion in IT network and system administration , looking to take up a course with the fastest and shortest way in order to meet up with my age. Any recommendations and advises ? My aim is to actually do freelance or start up my own business in future.

It also depends on what freelance and what business you are going to do and start up respectively.

I will assume you are going to do IT freelance for networking and providing server hosting (websites, applications, etc) services and eventually starting up your own business in providing these services in a larger scale.

The NYP part-time diploma course does give you very good basic foundation in IT Network, Voice over IP, Network Security and System Administration with some Cloud Computing knowledge.

These skill sets you learn in the part time diploma course is not enough to help you start up your freelancing and business immediately upon graduating if IT Network, System Administration, Cloud Computing, Voice over IP and Network Security are all new to you. It is not enough to sit for these industry certifications just based on the lectures, labs, tutorials and tests. You will need to do self learning more.

Please note the diploma course (all part time diploma) is design to be "working adult learning friendly" so exams cannot be too tough to pass. If tough to pass then very few will sign up for it as many will not waste their time because let's be honest, most are only interested in getting the diploma irregardless of results due to people have different priorities and commitments in life.

As much as I like everything about this NYP part time diploma course, I must let you know what to expect of in terms of expectations.

I believe that if you have passion and determination in learning, nothing can stop you from achieving the good results and gain great knowledge!👍

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't think just because it is a part time or CET course, the standard for similar modules will be much lower compare to full time course. Of course, CET will have lesser modules compare to full time student (to get a full Diploma certificate) such as Engineering Math but the negative side will be CET most likely cannot or have issues with going to local university.

It also depends on what freelance and what business you are going to do and start up respectively.

I will assume you are going to do IT freelance for networking and providing server hosting (websites, applications, etc) services and eventually starting up your own business in providing these services in a larger scale.

The NYP part-time diploma course does give you very good basic foundation in IT Network, Voice over IP, Network Security and System Administration with some Cloud Computing knowledge.

These skill sets you learn in the part time diploma course is not enough to help you start up your freelancing and business immediately upon graduating if IT Network, System Administration, Cloud Computing, Voice over IP and Network Security are all new to you. It is not enough to sit for these industry certifications just based on the lectures, labs, tutorials and tests. You will need to do self learning more.

Please note the diploma course (all part time diploma) is design to be "working adult learning friendly" so exams cannot be too tough to pass. If tough to pass then very few will sign up for it as many will not waste their time because let's be honest, most are only interested in getting the diploma irregardless of results due to people have different priorities and commitments in life.

As much as I like everything about this NYP part time diploma course, I must let you know what to expect of in terms of expectations.

I believe that if you have passion and determination in learning, nothing can stop you from achieving the good results and gain great knowledge!👍

Calvin.Lee

Reaction score
NUS have already launched a new Part Time degree program Bachelor in Computing where CET diploma holders are welcome to apply. At least it is NUS although CET diploma is still not able to apply full time degree course there.

Just need to pass their bridging course exams and of course it will still be based on merits of the diploma GPA.

Unlike the Full Time diploma course, the CET diploma course is structured in such a way that before one even take the final exams for a semester, he/she already know if can pass the modules or not as final exams weightage is only 30%, so it is possible that one can even turn up, fill up the name and admin number and submit the blank exam paper and walk out if the student already have 50% score from the tests before the final exams.

I do not doubt the quality of the schools materials and teachings, but the CET course is structured as such that it is very difficult to fail unless you try really hard to.

I don't think just because it is a part time or CET course, the standard for similar modules will be much lower compare to full time course. Of course, CET will have lesser modules compare to full time student (to get a full Diploma certificate) such as Engineering Math but the negative side will be CET most likely cannot or have issues with going to local university.

Last edited:

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
NUS have already launched a new Part Time degree program Bachelor in Computing where CET diploma holders are welcome to apply. At least it is NUS although CET diploma is still not able to apply full time degree course there.

are you talking about this ?
http://scale.nus.edu.sg/programmes/btech-comp.html

if not do u have a link to the part time bachelor in computing program by NUS ?

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe it apply to certain CET courses and not all course? End of day, the course is design by each Polytechnic & School which they can chose to set the standard lower compare to other Polytechnics & Schools.

As for CET Diploma graduates, there are no way for them to study courses like BEng (EEE) in NTU (Only local university in Singapore to offer part time Electrical Degree).

For NUS BTech, that the issues that I am talking about. CET Diploma graduates still needs attend and pass their bridging course but it does not guarantee you a place for BTech even if you have a high GPA for your CET Diploma. The bridging course is useless for job search cause it does not even consider as a format qualification like Certificate.

Just need to pass their bridging course exams and of course it will still be based on merits of the diploma GPA.

Unlike the Full Time diploma course, the CET diploma course is structured in such a way that before one even take the final exams for a semester, he/she already know if can pass the modules or not as final exams weightage is only 30%, so it is possible that one can even turn up, fill up the name and admin number and submit the blank exam paper and walk out if the student already have 50% score from the tests before the final exams.

I do not doubt the quality of the schools materials and teachings, but the CET course is structured as such that it is very difficult to fail unless you try really hard to.

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
the semester coming to end for me *i not in IT course.
this semester my new grp mate damn lazy!
dont want to do project! even do is copy paste one.

very sian.. i want to report to lecturer

Calvin.Lee

Reaction score
The original plan was to quit school and work hard.

But I have developed serious depression and start acting like the whole world own me something, confining to my own world and total disregard my views on study and create lots of unhappiness along the way.

Till to the point of resigning from my job and take up the course again (NYP help me to delay the semesters instead of withdrawing total as I have 5 years to complete it).

Towards the end of my course, I have learned something about myself and others. It has already changed me in more ways than before, not only in views but also in perspective and personality.

I just want to say I am just glad I can complete it and moved on.

oh u went back to study again ?

dejian199567

Reaction score
Hi, calvin. May I know for O levels who want to take up this course, but dont have the 1 yr exp in this field, can we still apply for it, cos I dont think there will be any companies out there who will want to take in someone with no exp just for him or her to learn...
So, I can only give up on it, or must still spend some time to take an ite course n do well to be exempted from that 1 yr requirement. Thanks.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.