Newbie Guide: How to Find a Good Agent for Investment & Insurance?

Bigoya

Reaction score
IFA don't carry some companies' products.

Well, most.
Common products available to IFAs: AIA, AXA, TM, Aviva, NTUC, Manulife
Products not available to IFAs: Pru, GE.

Max no. of agent 1 need would be 3. You don't need 1 agent from each company to confuse you.

colz000

Reaction score
Just purchased InvestReady yesterday. However upon further reading of the BI, the first two years, they essentially reduced my premium to zero (effects of deduction) however subsequent year, the charges fell below 2% and so on.

Is this a good investment plan to begin with? The investment caters to my risk profile, and i have chosen 80% equity and 20% bond for a premium of 1k monthly for 20 years with free fund rebalancing (unlimited, FOC)

Hope to get an honest insight. Thnk youu

Last edited:

mSnooze

Reaction score
Just purchased InvestReady yesterday. However upon further reading of the BI, the first two years, they essentially reduced my premium to zero (effects of deduction) however subsequent year, the charges fell below 2% and so on.

Is this a good investment plan to begin with? The investment caters to my risk profile, and i have chosen 80% equity and 20% bond for a premium of 1k monthly for 20 years with free fund rebalancing (unlimited, FOC)

For InvestReady - Wealth only,
The best case scenario breakeven year will be at year 15 onwards,
There are Administrative charge of 0.7%/year, (up to 1.4%)
Supplementary charge of 1.8%/year, (up to 3.6%)
Surrender charge and premium shortfall charge decreasing from 100% to 5% from year 1 to 20, meaning you definitely have to hold more than 20 years;
and the respective funds management charges that you have chosen.

Manulife and relevant fund mangers have the rights to increase the charges with an advance written notice.

Taking into account TVOM, risk, all the fees and charges; and still able to earn the net returns that you are looking for, you can proceed with this.

jonleong

Reaction score
Anyone heard of or had experience with Kenneth Kam

Hi experts, I'm looking at investments and was recommended to this guy Kenneth Kam.

Anyone heard of him or had experience dealing with him?

jonleong

Reaction score
Absolutely no idea. Is he some celebrity or something?

Apparently some successful Forex trader who is offering services with high returns. I was introduced to him by a friend and was just wondering if anyone had heard of him or had experience working with him.

bella89

Reaction score

I think you're looking at surrender value. For the first 2 years if you wish to take out your money, there's a 100% surrender charge, meaning you get 0 back in return. The surrender charges decreases year by year after the first 2 years, which is indicated in your BI.

The annual charge is 2.5%, deducted monthly, meaning ~0.2% every month from your units. After 10 years, the annual charge drops to 0.7%. The welcome bonus (of up to 90% depending on the tenure of the plan you got) will help to cushion this.

For your investment itself, it's a 100% allocation to the fund you chose. I'm not sure which fund you chose but if yours give a monthly dividend payout and is above 6-7% p.a return, then you should be receiving at least $60 (not counting bonuses) per month (or ~$720) in dividend payout if you choose not to reinvest.

Because I dont have the full details on the funds etc, this is all I can explain. Hope it's clearer for you now. :)

Kyzers0ze

Reaction score
I got stopped by an insurance agent today and she tried to sell me a savings plan with a lock in period of 2 years promising 3% per annum. I told her I manage my own investments and proceeded to teach her about the the federal reserve's interest rates affects markets. I also told her about the market cycle and what risks you can expect from equities....

I really don't know why some of them are doing this while not knowing about the current landscape of at least the US and local markets.

akwl88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got stopped by an insurance agent today and she tried to sell me a savings plan with a lock in period of 2 years promising 3% per annum. I told her I manage my own investments and proceeded to teach her about the the federal reserve's interest rates affects markets. I also told her about the market cycle and what risks you can expect from equities....

I really don't know why some of them are doing this while not knowing about the current landscape of at least the US and local markets.

agents are just sales pple. they have no investment nor financial knowledge

only thing that matter is how much commissions they will get at the end of the month =:p

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
agents are just sales pple. they have no investment nor financial knowledge

only thing that matter is how much commissions they will get at the end of the month =:p

Agreed, they hard match the title of ffinancial planner. A better name may be commissions planner.

annachua85

Reaction score
is aia wealth pro advantage or pruwealth better ? any kind soul can advise me ?
It depends whether you are a risk taker, if you are then aia wealth pro advantage is better because only half the outlay is guaranteed value, the rest are all invested into AIA funds and has non guaranteed cash value.
I personally has PRuwealth before wealth pro advantage came out, the budget can be one concern too, minimum for pruwealth is only 200 per month, shortest contribution period is 5 years, but for AIA WPA the shortest of 5 year require a 600 per month. So there are really too many things to consider whether its good or not.. unless u can state all your needs and purpose and risk appetite, pple can't advise on that.

JuniorLion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Apparently some successful Forex trader who is offering services with high returns. I was introduced to him by a friend and was just wondering if anyone had heard of him or had experience working with him.

None of us know him.

Do your own due diligence. The conventional wisdom is not to go into something you don't know.

archcherub

Reaction score
Hi experts, I'm looking at investments and was recommended to this guy Kenneth Kam.

Anyone heard of him or had experience dealing with him?

i know him roughly 5 years ago at social outing, back then he was working overseas.

3-4 yrs ago, i did place some money with him and earning 3% per month. or 42% per year. quite a good deal but he cutting down these good deals liao.

i did see his trades, but he is not trading for me nor anyone, he trades for himself. i wanted to learn from him but he pointed out a few good points for me and sort of told me that the best way to learn is still to trade on my own.

anyway i sticking to my options trade. forex too much emotions for me.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.