For those who love to travel alone

twinklingstars

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Very laid back schedule. Lots of time and slack. Saturday does not count at all. You will be hitting the night market or pubs. You can obtain the 3-day pass to Angkor Wat and have all the time you want doing the major circuit, the Roluos Group and Banteay Srei. You may want to visit the Tonle Sap. Are you flying between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh? 2.5 days for the latter also gives you more than sufficient time to visit even the palace and other museums.

thanks everyone for the recommendations! i just got back from cambodia 2 weeks ago and it was awesome! initially i was very apprehensive about this trip as im a female and lots of people were telling me that PP was unsafe etc, but everything turns out to be fine. solo travelling is the way to go, looking forward to another solo scotland/london next month.. im planning to do another solo trip in august, any suggestions where to go for 10 days? my budget is about $1.5K, am looking at chiangmai, but 10 days is it too much?

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks everyone for the recommendations! i just got back from cambodia 2 weeks ago and it was awesome! initially i was very apprehensive about this trip as im a female and lots of people were telling me that PP was unsafe etc, but everything turns out to be fine. solo travelling is the way to go, looking forward to another solo scotland/london next month.. im planning to do another solo trip in august, any suggestions where to go for 10 days? my budget is about $1.5K, am looking at chiangmai, but 10 days is it too much?

Lot Polish has fares for around $780 for some European cities. Pretty sure you can manage less than $100/day for Eastern Europe. Take away two days for flights and time difference, left around a week.

iCuteCube

Master Member
Reaction score

I been to Chiang Mai solo, 10 days probably too much, 5-6 days is very comfortable, anything less you might need to rush abit.

You can go up north chiang rai area for few days first then back to CM.

Delsamor

Banned
Reaction score

10days in Chiangmai is too much if you just want to go to the tourist POIs. Suggest you spend a little time in Pattaya/Hua Hin, bkk, then take overnight train up to CM.

butterbutt

Reaction score
Mongolia

Hey guys,

Have anyone traveled Mongolia? It is hard to get around from Ulaanbaatar to like the more "ulu" parts of the country? Also is it safe for a female solo traveler?

butterbarter

Reaction score
10 days just for ChiangMai is too much. But, if you include Chiang Rai + Golden Triangle, and maybe the mountain town of Pai and/or a day trip to Doi Ithanon (highest mountain in Thailand), then 10 days is OK.

If you have a motorbike licence (if you don't you can still do this by car/taxi), you can try riding the Samoeng Loop, a 100km loop through the mountains near Chiang Mai passing by small towns, strawberry farms, botanic gardens and waterfalls. Makes for a very pleasant day trip.

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Have anyone traveled Mongolia? It is hard to get around from Ulaanbaatar to like the more "ulu" parts of the country? Also is it safe for a female solo traveler?

Where are the ulu parts you want to go? The outback? There's tours available from the hostels/guest houses. For the other parts of Mongolia there's buses and trains.

Mongolia is safe. As usual, apply common sense and don't go out at night, not as if there's things to see/do at night anyway.

I've been quite a nbr of years ago. UB is now pretty developed. I went alone, and is female too, if that matters.

beanstalk6

Reaction score

Not sure if you may find Chiangmai "more of the same" as Cambodia you just visited. Otherwise, as someone mentioned, with 10 days you can look at these options:
1) Chiangmai, Chiangrai, Pai, Mae Sai (golden triangle)
2) Chiangmai, Chiangrai, boat to Luang Prabang (Laos)

itsamistake

Reaction score

The best (and worst) time to visit should be in late November for the Loi Krathong sky lanterns.

If you stretch it out with an overnight trip to Chiang Rai to see the White temple, and a 3d2n trip to Pai to sleep in wooden huts without insulation in 10'C, should be just nice.

I recommend a few days to just laze around in your hostel and have unplanned meals or walks with your dorm mates. :s13: I heard that the temples at the Doi Suthep base have silent meditation camps where they recommend at least 5-7 days stay without talking to each other.

If you had spent at least 5 days in Cambodia. You should be well trained in juggling with boredom in laid-back areas :s13: 10 days shouldn't be a problem lah.

5star_pundit

Banned
Reaction score
rice-media-bintan-the-haven-2.jpg

twinklingstars

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I been to Chiang Mai solo, 10 days probably too much, 5-6 days is very comfortable, anything less you might need to rush abit.

You can go up north chiang rai area for few days first then back to CM.

10days in Chiangmai is too much if you just want to go to the tourist POIs. Suggest you spend a little time in Pattaya/Hua Hin, bkk, then take overnight train up to CM.

10 days just for ChiangMai is too much. But, if you include Chiang Rai + Golden Triangle, and maybe the mountain town of Pai and/or a day trip to Doi Ithanon (highest mountain in Thailand), then 10 days is OK.

If you have a motorbike licence (if you don't you can still do this by car/taxi), you can try riding the Samoeng Loop, a 100km loop through the mountains near Chiang Mai passing by small towns, strawberry farms, botanic gardens and waterfalls. Makes for a very pleasant day trip.

Not sure if you may find Chiangmai "more of the same" as Cambodia you just visited. Otherwise, as someone mentioned, with 10 days you can look at these options:
1) Chiangmai, Chiangrai, Pai, Mae Sai (golden triangle)
2) Chiangmai, Chiangrai, boat to Luang Prabang (Laos)

The best (and worst) time to visit should be in late November for the Loi Krathong sky lanterns.

If you stretch it out with an overnight trip to Chiang Rai to see the White temple, and a 3d2n trip to Pai to sleep in wooden huts without insulation in 10'C, should be just nice.

I recommend a few days to just laze around in your hostel and have unplanned meals or walks with your dorm mates. :s13: I heard that the temples at the Doi Suthep base have silent meditation camps where they recommend at least 5-7 days stay without talking to each other.

If you had spent at least 5 days in Cambodia. You should be well trained in juggling with boredom in laid-back areas :s13: 10 days shouldn't be a problem lah.

thanks everyone for the advices!

im planning to visit chiangmai, chiangrai, golden triangle, sufficient for 10 days, or should i add more side trips? thanks!

i spent 6 days in siem reap, by the 5th day, i'm running out of things to do lol.

twinklingstars

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lot Polish has fares for around $780 for some European cities. Pretty sure you can manage less than $100/day for Eastern Europe. Take away two days for flights and time difference, left around a week.

thanks for your recommendation, would love to go to eastern europe but i would prefer to spend at least 2 weeks and i only have about 10 days..

Delsamor

Banned
Reaction score

im planning to visit chiangmai, chiangrai, golden triangle, sufficient for 10 days, or should i add more side trips? thanks!

i spent 6 days in siem reap, by the 5th day, i'm running out of things to do lol.

What do u want to do in chiangrai? You could do Pai + CR by motorbike, the view is good. Golden triangle can be done with a day tour package along with Karen long neck village and white temple. CR itself has nothing, this is just my personal opinion :)

5 days in CM allows u to:

Finish old city temple walking tour
Cafe hopping (old city has hundreds of cafes if u are into it)
Visit multiple roof top bars and highest bar
Visit every single day or night market
Visit every temples
Visit every pois
Make many day trips
Visit every foodie locations
Visit every ggb
Massage everyday

ah`moon

Reaction score
Am going for a 8nights solo cruise in Sep with Royal Caribbeans... 😊
Gonna take a plane to Shanghai then board from Baoshan cruise terminal. 8nights later back in Shanghai.
Ports of call are Kyoto, Kobe aand Yokohama. Anything interesting to do for solo female? Shanghai as well i might extend a few nights. TIA! 😬

tohliao

Reaction score
Hi all

Recently my friend went to Japan alone for 2 weeks by herself. That kind of triggered me of wanting to try a solo trip as well to Japan.

I would be taking 1 week or 2 weeks trip depending on the cost..
Can anyone advise for 1 pax female including flights and accommodations, roughly how much would it be for 1 or 2 weeks?

Thank!

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Recently my friend went to Japan alone for 2 weeks by herself. That kind of triggered me of wanting to try a solo trip as well to Japan.

I would be taking 1 week or 2 weeks trip depending on the cost..
Can anyone advise for 1 pax female including flights and accommodations, roughly how much would it be for 1 or 2 weeks?

Thank!

You have to specify which parts/areas, what type of lodging (hostel, airbnb, hotel, camping), flights (budget, full-fledged, direct or transit), etc. I can tell you $5k for 2 weeks while another person can tell you $800 for 2 weeks.

What is your budget? Work around your budget?

A hostel can cost $20+ in Osaka while a hostel can cost $30+ in Tokyo. A hotel can cost $100+ in Okinawa while a hotel in Tokyo can cost $300+.

A budget flight to Tokyo can cost from $300+ - $400+ depending on travel period. A flight on SQ can cost $600+ - $800+. A budget flight to Osaka can cost $400+ - $500+ while a transit flight on a full-fledged airline may cost $400+.

It also depends on whether you are traveling by rail, bus or flight within different part of Japan as well. If you are going hiking/trekking mainly, then there's not so much cost involved vs a shopping trip.

Villas-Boas

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Are you comfortable riding a bike? I went Pai / Chiang Mai and riding a bike / scooter there is probably the highlight of the trip as the road there is really nice to ride and the scenery is awesome. It makes your plans really flexible as well. Riding a bike definitely make your trip much much much better

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A5010 using GAGT

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.