IP camera

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will be moving into a new flat soon & thinking of installing IP camera or CCTV in the flat.

So i guess i will need to decide where i want to mount the cams then get my designer to install data point & power point near each cam?

Presumably every IP cam needs a connection to data point & power point right?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will be moving into a new flat soon & thinking of installing IP camera or CCTV in the flat.

So i guess i will need to decide where i want to mount the cams then get my designer to install data point & power point near each cam?

yeah. never rely on wifi for IP cams. sure unreliable.. :p

dryteletubby

Reaction score

Get those poe (power over Ethernet) cameras so just need to have a data point and a Poe switch

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Get those poe (power over Ethernet) cameras so just need to have a data point and a Poe switch
Thanks. So if the ip cam is gonna be mounted on the ceiling (i think most are cos kinda pointless to leave on the table where the thief can reach) that means need a data point on the ceiling?!

SBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

That’s what I have done about 3 years ago when doing up my Reno.

Of course, you will need a POE switch or NVR.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Thanks. So if the ip cam is gonna be mounted on the ceiling (i think most are cos kinda pointless to leave on the table where the thief can reach) that means need a data point on the ceiling?!

Better than both data point and electrical outlet on your ceiling at least. Ethernet cables can be easily hidden with some planning.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Unreliable in what sense? Cant imagine having data points on the ceiling leh. Damn ugly plus im sure its costly too.

People with smartphones already complaining about their WIFI connectivity. How much more your camera which is likely to have a lousier WIFI chipset?

My Foscam camera is connected directly to the router using a lan cable. The connection is rock solid.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.