[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am using a ac87 with my singtel fibre plan. Recently my 5ghz wifi download speed has been showing 3 or 4mbps only, while when I connect to my 2.4ghz wifi, can hit up to 87mbps.

However, the upload speed for the 5ghz wifi is up to 216mbps, while the 2.4ghz upload speed only 65mbps.

I have been using speedtest for the results. Anyone can tell me what is wrong?
A new firmware has been released recently. Have you update it?

shiroyuki03

Reaction score
has anyone tried to change the thermal paste or pad for asus rt87u? the temps looks pretty high to me.. 5ghz: 55c and cpu: 70c

shiroyuki03

Reaction score
thanks all for the reply. but it seems high.. hahahas.. i am using notebook cooler under it. i don mind if can use watercooling,but setup would be tricky.. and it seems that when the temps are high, it somehow gets throttled. my internet sometimes become slow..

shiroyuki03

Reaction score
just to check. asus rt87u, connected via guest network, able to login to asus router home page? from what i know previously, i am not able to.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just to check. asus rt87u, connected via guest network, able to login to asus router home page? from what i know previously, i am not able to.

Of course not... unless you enable "access intranet" in the guest settings.

shiroyuki03

Reaction score
Of course not... unless you enable "access intranet" in the guest settings.

however, i am able to. even though the option is not checked. am using merlin firmware. is there something wrong with the firmware? am using 380.68.4

just an update. after updating to 385.4, in guest mode, i am not able to access the router config page. thanks all!

Last edited:

twinbaby

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

My previous predecessor have left the company.

RT-AC87U

How do I just reset the password of this router without losing the default setting of the router?

Alvin

noobzpro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all for the new singtel 2gb they gave me a optical network router. Does that mean if im using asus I should just plug it to lan 1 instead of wan since its just doing the wireless part for me thanks

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

My previous predecessor have left the company.

RT-AC87U

How do I just reset the password of this router without losing the default setting of the router?

Alvin

I assume you are referring to Wi-Fi password. Log in router interface with router user id and password, you can then change anything you want.

FYI, predecessor literally means person before you. So there's no need for additional "previous"

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all for the new singtel 2gb they gave me a optical network router. Does that mean if im using asus I should just plug it to lan 1 instead of wan since its just doing the wireless part for me thanks

You should leave it at WAN and switch to Access Point mode.

twinbaby

Master Member
Reaction score
I assume you are referring to Wi-Fi password. Log in router interface with router user id and password, you can then change anything you want.

FYI, predecessor literally means person before you. So there's no need for additional "previous"

It is not the wifi password.
It is router interface with router user id and password

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is not the wifi password.
It is router interface with router user id and password

If you know the router user id and password, just login and change to what you desire. If you don't know either, then I am afraid factory reset is the only choice.

twinbaby

Master Member
Reaction score
If you know the router user id and password, just login and change to what you desire. If you don't know either, then I am afraid factory reset is the only choice.

Is there a default password to set?
Last resort.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.