Newborn, nanny, infant care or maid after maternity leave?

Brainystarfish

Reaction score
Hihi,

Mind to share your experience on how you take care for your newborn after 4 months of maternity leave and need to return to the workforce?

1) Nanny
2) Infant care
3) maid

Thinking of sending my newborn to infant care. Anyone have any experience on infant care?

Thanks of sharing

Reaction score
heard of many kids get frequently ill in infant care so good luck to you
can try to get kid's grandparents to help if available.

Arcanell

Reaction score
getting ill is part and parcel of growing up.

train your maid during the first 4 months on how to take care of new born. You have a nanny during the first month right? Learn as much from her. Then you ask your maid if she comfortable taking care if you are not around. if all else fail, infant care.

Jasmine11

Reaction score
I think you should get one maid and one nanny, like maid clean the house the nanny take care of the child. because I think ah it is better to have both separately le, the maid will clean then they dirty then touch your kid, so I think one of each better

opticloopy

Master Member
Reaction score
This is Super ex.. not everyone can afford this option

I think you should get one maid and one nanny, like maid clean the house the nanny take care of the child. because I think ah it is better to have both separately le, the maid will clean then they dirty then touch your kid, so I think one of each better

p_eppermint

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wow, doesnt make much sense to have both.. way too expensive for an avg singaporean family.

btw, any idea what's the cost for infant care? i read that there are subsidies if parents work more than 56 hrs, but if parents work normal 9 to 6 day job = no subsidies?

eric16

Reaction score
Right now i'm sending my 4 mth old to a nanny near my place. $1k per mth. But you have to find a nanny that you can trust cos not all nanny can make the grade. We went to see a few nanny before selecting current one.

Infant care has waiting list in my area, and there is $20 penalty if u pick up your baby late. But after subsidy it's around $600-$700

last option of hiring maid is actually the most economical cos at $600-$800 per mth, u get to have house cleaned, food to eat and baby taken care, but have to find a maid who can take care baby and u can trust takes time.

Tough choices, but I chose nanny cos I found one that is recommended by friends, choosing nanny is also like choosing a maid, gotta find a correct one.

in the long run, will probably hire a maid cos when baby grows up, can talk, if maid mistreats, baby can complain. Now too young to complain if maid mistreats, unless you have an elder in the house to constantly monitor.

p_eppermint

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for sharing. Wow, $1k per mth for nanny is really ex. For infant care, any criteria to be eligible for subsidy? Both me & hubby are Singaporeans working normal 9-6 day jobs.

Right now i'm sending my 4 mth old to a nanny near my place. $1k per mth. But you have to find a nanny that you can trust cos not all nanny can make the grade. We went to see a few nanny before selecting current one.

Infant care has waiting list in my area, and there is $20 penalty if u pick up your baby late. But after subsidy it's around $600-$700

last option of hiring maid is actually the most economical cos at $600-$800 per mth, u get to have house cleaned, food to eat and baby taken care, but have to find a maid who can take care baby and u can trust takes time.

Tough choices, but I chose nanny cos I found one that is recommended by friends, choosing nanny is also like choosing a maid, gotta find a correct one.

in the long run, will probably hire a maid cos when baby grows up, can talk, if maid mistreats, baby can complain. Now too young to complain if maid mistreats, unless you have an elder in the house to constantly monitor.

0limshs

Reaction score
My arrangement for both my children :

Newborn - 2yo : nanny cos i wanted 1 to 1 attention.

2yo - 6yo : childcare cos that’s when they were like sponge, start learning...

7yo - 12yo : maid cos they only need someone to fetch them to and fro school.... and also cook their lunch...

CarylBear

Reaction score
As long as you are Singaporean and working mother, u r entitled for the subsidy.
I have registered for infant care too, went for the tour before I decided. Not really a bad option.

Hi, thanks for sharing. Wow, $1k per mth for nanny is really ex. For infant care, any criteria to be eligible for subsidy? Both me & hubby are Singaporeans working normal 9-6 day jobs.

p_eppermint

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info :) care to share how much you are paying after deducting subsidy?

As long as you are Singaporean and working mother, u r entitled for the subsidy.
I have registered for infant care too, went for the tour before I decided. Not really a bad option.

Stinzy123

Reaction score
My arrangement for both my children :

Newborn - 2yo : nanny cos i wanted 1 to 1 attention.

2yo - 6yo : childcare cos that’s when they were like sponge, start learning...

7yo - 12yo : maid cos they only need someone to fetch them to and fro school.... and also cook their lunch...

This sounds like my case too :)

Witch King

Master Member
Reaction score
I’m also thinking about who or what to do with my newborn

My Wife doesn’t trust stranger so I have to take taxi to my in law house every morning while my Wife bring my newborn back every evening

I supposed it’s bloody tiring. So I am considering to get a car or not but i afraid it will be extra burden ownin a car.

p_eppermint

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I’m also thinking about who or what to do with my newborn

My Wife doesn’t trust stranger so I have to take taxi to my in law house every morning while my Wife bring my newborn back every evening

I supposed it’s bloody tiring. So I am considering to get a car or not but i afraid it will be extra burden ownin a car.
imo car is a liability but if you can afford, it is very convenient. however the amt that we spend on the car could really be put to better use i feel, if not for upcoming bb i probably would want to get rid of the car :s13:

i fear the same problem too in future as it can be damn tiring & time consuming travelling back & forth from in-laws' place, esp during peak hrs. that's why i am considering either nanny or ifc. nanny is a bit too expensive, but also heard that bb will fall sick more often in ifc.

Stinzy123

Reaction score
imo car is a liability but if you can afford, it is very convenient. however the amt that we spend on the car could really be put to better use i feel, if not for upcoming bb i probably would want to get rid of the car :s13:

i fear the same problem too in future as it can be damn tiring & time consuming travelling back & forth from in-laws' place, esp during peak hrs. that's why i am considering either nanny or ifc. nanny is a bit too expensive, but also heard that bb will fall sick more often in ifc.
Another option is to see if your parents or in laws are ok to come your place to help take care of the baby when u go to work. They can stay over and go back to their home over the weekend. That's the arrangement some of my colleagues did ask well. If not u can leave your baby there and pick him/her up over the weekend. Actually there's a few options. Just need to find one that suits you needs.

p_eppermint

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Another option is to see if your parents or in laws are ok to come your place to help take care of the baby when u go to work. They can stay over and go back to their home over the weekend. That's the arrangement some of my colleagues did ask well. If not u can leave your baby there and pick him/her up over the weekend. Actually there's a few options. Just need to find one that suits you needs.
my situation is a bit different, our hse is not ready yet, so temporarily we are staying with my parents on weekdays & at my in-laws' on weekends. my mother will be doing confinement for me at my parents' place. but my mother is not able to commit to looking after the bb after that, so if rule out ifc & nanny, only left with my MIL. problem is, it's not possible or rather i dont wish to stay with my in-laws during the weekdays as the house is extremely cramped as my husb's whole family stays there & the house is just a small bto flat. not suitable to stay there with LO in tow..

the last option would be to travel to & fro my place & in-laws' place to drop bb off & pick bb up before & after work. but that would be very tiring on us as both stay at opposite ends. :(

Sharonyap2505

Reaction score
my situation is a bit different, our hse is not ready yet, so temporarily we are staying with my parents on weekdays & at my in-laws' on weekends. my mother will be doing confinement for me at my parents' place. but my mother is not able to commit to looking after the bb after that, so if rule out ifc & nanny, only left with my MIL. problem is, it's not possible or rather i dont wish to stay with my in-laws during the weekdays as the house is extremely cramped as my husb's whole family stays there & the house is just a small bto flat. not suitable to stay there with LO in tow..

the last option would be to travel to & fro my place & in-laws' place to drop bb off & pick bb up before & after work. but that would be very tiring on us as both stay at opposite ends. :(

In your case, I think hiring nanny/babysitter is more convenient. You can search for nanny online through carousell, Gumtree, etc.. no need to go through agency and can negotiate rates based on how many hours you need the nanny to care for. If you are working office hour job and need a nanny to take care if your baby from 8am to 8pm (or +/-) on weekdays, you can discuss on fixed monthly pay of around $500-$600. Alternatively, if you working retail hours until late, you can discuss with the nanny to see if she willing to take care until late at night. And find one that is walking distance from your home. So it's more convenient for you and hubby to send and pick up your baby.

Last edited:

ahboi2017

Reaction score

Will doing a temp job qualify for subsidy?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.