Need advice on HDB inheritance

TypicalMan

Reaction score
My parents bought an HDB decades ago under Joint Tenancy agreement. Few years back my father passed away and my mum became the sole owner of the flat. My maternal half-blood brother tried to sweet talk her to put him as a co-owner (unsure what's the status right now). So right now if my mum have any mishap(touch wood), will my half-blood brother and I each get 50% of the flat?

Both of us are under age 35 and none of us own any HDB/private property. I am staying with my mum while he is renting flat outside. My mum still have a few years of outstanding loan.

Z_Dash

Master Member
Reaction score
My parents bought an HDB decades ago under Joint Tenancy agreement. Few years back my father passed away and my mum became the sole owner of the flat. My maternal half-blood brother tried to sweet talk her to put him as a co-owner (unsure what's the status right now). So right now if my mum have any mishap(touch wood), will my half-blood brother and I each get 50% of the flat?

Both of us are under age 35 and none of us own any HDB/private property. I am staying with my mum while he is renting flat outside. My mum still have a few years of outstanding loan.

Are you the co-owner with your mom for this flat?

kiatme

Reaction score
Whose half is it, your dad or mom, and what's your mom's stance?

Better to seek legal advice because hdb most likely isn't going to care, and most of us here aren't capable of advising you on legal issues

Can google free legal clinics and call and ask if they willing to entertain your case and just make an appointment

Also can ask your mom to draft a will, but ultimately I feel you should speak to your mom if you're concerned about this matter

Endless09

Reaction score
Agreed with Kiatme post. Find legal advices and get your mum to draft a Will and maybe at the same time, appointment either yourself or anyone to handle her estate once she passed on (touch wood).

Mind checking; your half maternal brother is from your dad or mum side?

Papermate

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maternal half blood brother?

Your mother had another son from a previous marriage?

And he wants to get a share of the family asset, the HDB flat?

Even your name is not added to the property as a co-owner, and he wants his in.

TypicalMan

Reaction score
Mom side. Will definitely seek legal advice if things were about to go bad. She's the traditional type that thinks will is a taboo subject.

Whose half is it, your dad or mom, and what's your mom's stance?

Better to seek legal advice because hdb most likely isn't going to care, and most of us here aren't capable of advising you on legal issues

Can google free legal clinics and call and ask if they willing to entertain your case and just make an appointment

Also can ask your mom to draft a will, but ultimately I feel you should speak to your mom if you're concerned about this matter

TypicalMan

Reaction score
My name is not added because that would eliminate me as a first time bto buyer.

Maternal half blood brother?

Your mother had another son from a previous marriage?

And he wants to get a share of the family asset, the HDB flat?

Even your name is not added to the property as a co-owner, and he wants his in.

Pokémon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My name is not added because that would eliminate me as a first time bto buyer.

Do you intend to get married and apply for a BTO with your partner in the near future? Having your name in it does not make you lose your chance as a first time BTO buyer, though you would still need to remove your name if you ever apply for a BTO.

You are on the losing end though, since your half brother knows how to play the game, and has more to gain if he wins.

member1

Banned
Reaction score
if only ur mom name than it will share

if with co- name than it will be the next who live own 100%, u get 0%

TypicalMan

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I always thought that once my name is in it I would disqualified as first time buyer.

We have plans to apply for btc and get married but not in the near future though.

Do you intend to get married and apply for a BTO with your partner in the near future? Having your name in it does not make you lose your chance as a first time BTO buyer, though you would still need to remove your name if you ever apply for a BTO.

You are on the losing end though, since your half brother knows how to play the game, and has more to gain if he wins.

TypicalMan

Reaction score
The flat will share among me and my half brother even though the flat initially belongs to both of my parents?

if only ur mom name than it will share

if with co- name than it will be the next who live own 100%, u get 0%

kyteo79

Reaction score
The flat will share among me and my half brother even though the flat initially belongs to both of my parents?

1) you disallowed your name with your mum name in the flat ? because you wana buy a BTO ? So after buy your BTO you will bring your mum to the new BTO house and stay together?

2) Your maternal half brother (assume non blood related? non legal ?) in the sense once your mum gone he would have ownership of the house since your name is not as owner.

3) Even there is a will, you will not own anything since he is then the sole owner after your mum pass on.

TypicalMan

Reaction score
1) she thought that by having my name as co-owner will disqualified me as a first time buyer which is why my name wasn't added into it.

2) we are somehow related. Same mum different father.

1) you disallowed your name with your mum name in the flat ? because you wana buy a BTO ? So after buy your BTO you will bring your mum to the new BTO house and stay together?

2) Your maternal half brother (assume non blood related? non legal ?) in the sense once your mum gone he would have ownership of the house since your name is not as owner.

3) Even there is a will, you will not own anything since he is then the sole owner after your mum pass on.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1) she thought that by having my name as co-owner will disqualified me as a first time buyer which is why my name wasn't added into it.

Do refer to HDB website on the meaning of First-Timer;

You will be considered a first-timer applicant if you have not received any housing subsidy from HDB.

> First-Timer Applicants for more info and details.

Bookmarked for future reference & further reading.

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
HDB does recognise Will for flat under joint tenancy, except tenant in common
100%,goes to surviving joint owner.

Inherited flat should not affect beneficiary status as first timer.

Oustanding loan must be settled by estate or beneficiary, unless covered by HPS.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This means that you must not:

Be the owner of a flat bought from HDB

Cannot be owner, if not, first timer status will be void.

Not technical correct.

Not be the original owner that bought the flat direct from HDB.
Which include any benefit, as in subsidy, from HDB.
Subsidy do include that the flat is cheaper as being subsidy flat by HDB.

Usually if for example TS is to add his name to as Owner for several reason, which may include using TS's CPF for the flat or taking loan using TS name, etc.
And also allow TS to take over the flat as the TS name is under Ownership, with or without any financial inclusive.
As since TS did not enjoy any benefit from HDB, this is not consider as first-timer.
Just co-own HDB flat, which allow 2 or more names as ownership, on whether
added later on.
Whereas currently TS is considered as Occupier, which has no ownership to the flat.

Also should TS is the sole owner at a later stage, he still can apply as first-timer to HDB flat.
Provided TS has to sell the existing flat upon taking ownership of new HDB flat, within a certain period.

kyteo79

Reaction score

So my question was, which you did not answer

when u buy your new BTO, will you ask your mother to shift in to stay in your new BTO ?

++
In that case it is going to be 50-50 split

weeasee

Reaction score
If you were to inherit a resale flat from your mother, then you definitely will still remain a first-timer when you decide to apply for BTO in the future.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.