Need advice on HDB inheritance

LeSaux

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your mum is legally married to your dad so in the eyes of HDB you are the beneficiary

TypicalMan

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification regarding the ownership of the flat.

Not technical correct.

Not be the original owner that bought the flat direct from HDB.
Which include any benefit, as in subsidy, from HDB.
Subsidy do include that the flat is cheaper as being subsidy flat by HDB.

Usually if for example TS is to add his name to as Owner for several reason, which may include using TS's CPF for the flat or taking loan using TS name, etc.
And also allow TS to take over the flat as the TS name is under Ownership, with or without any financial inclusive.
As since TS did not enjoy any benefit from HDB, this is not consider as first-timer.
Just co-own HDB flat, which allow 2 or more names as ownership, on whether
added later on.
Whereas currently TS is considered as Occupier, which has no ownership to the flat.

Also should TS is the sole owner at a later stage, he still can apply as first-timer to HDB flat.
Provided TS has to sell the existing flat upon taking ownership of new HDB flat, within a certain period.

TypicalMan

Reaction score
No plans for applying any bto in the near future and I really love where I am living now. But to answer your question l, if I were to buy my own bto, I will ask her to shift with us.

So my question was, which you did not answer

when u buy your new BTO, will you ask your mother to shift in to stay in your new BTO ?

++
In that case it is going to be 50-50 split

vinz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My parents bought an HDB decades ago under Joint Tenancy agreement. Few years back my father passed away and my mum became the sole owner of the flat. My maternal half-blood brother tried to sweet talk her to put him as a co-owner (unsure what's the status right now).
Part 1

If he is co-owner, need to check what type of ownership he belongs to.

If JOINT OWNER, then if your mum pass on (touch wood), he will automatically become the sole owner (100% of flat goes to him).

If Tenancy in common (meaning percentage of share in the flat, can be 1% to 99%) , if your mum pass on, then her share will be divided according to our government inheritance law.

Meaning your brother share is still his (you got no say in that), your mum's share may be spilt between all her children etc

Pls click and read : What happen to flat after demise of owner ?
So right now if my mum have any mishap(touch wood), will my half-blood brother and I each get 50% of the flat?
If he isn't the co-owner at this stage, then it be according to the inheritance (read about website link).

If he is already a co-owner, then it be according to part 1 above.
Both of us are under age 35 and none of us own any HDB/private property. I am staying with my mum while he is renting flat outside. My mum still have a few years of outstanding loan.
Actually we only hearing your side of the story.

You are pretty much concern about your first timer status for your BTO flat with future spouse. Meaning you should have the ability to buy a flat etc.

He is more concern about monthly rental cost which he is currently incurring and trying to secure a roof over his head. Basically I see no wrong on what he is doing since she is also his mother, not sure about your "sweet talk" labeling.

-vinz

Last edited:

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not technical correct.

Not be the original owner that bought the flat direct from HDB.
Which include any benefit, as in subsidy, from HDB.
Subsidy do include that the flat is cheaper as being subsidy flat by HDB.

Usually if for example TS is to add his name to as Owner for several reason, which may include using TS's CPF for the flat or taking loan using TS name, etc.
And also allow TS to take over the flat as the TS name is under Ownership, with or without any financial inclusive.
As since TS did not enjoy any benefit from HDB, this is not consider as first-timer.
Just co-own HDB flat, which allow 2 or more names as ownership, on whether
added later on.
Whereas currently TS is considered as Occupier, which has no ownership to the flat.

Also should TS is the sole owner at a later stage, he still can apply as first-timer to HDB flat.
Provided TS has to sell the existing flat upon taking ownership of new HDB flat, within a certain period.

27551608788_d09a98195c_b.jpg

This means that you must not:

Have transferred the ownership of a flat bought from HDB, or an HDB resale flat bought with a CPF Housing Grant

Now that's the confusing part. Suppose you are right, that means the way HDB word it should be more precise.

In that case, TS should immediately add his name as "Joint Tenancy".

39614287590_d9bd8d7dc7_b.jpg

kyteo79

Reaction score
No plans for applying any bto in the near future and I really love where I am living now. But to answer your question l, if I were to buy my own bto, I will ask her to shift with us.

Then in that case you need not too concern when your mum pass on who will take over the house. Maybe your mum already draw the will already.

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
27551608788_d09a98195c_b.jpg

This means that you must not:

Have transferred the ownership of a flat bought from HDB, or an HDB resale flat bought with a CPF Housing Grant

Now that's the confusing part. Suppose you are right, that means the way HDB word it should be more precise.

It is not confusing or misleading at all, but how you read it on the whole.

Read it this way;
  • You, the applicant to buy from HDB direct, Have transferred the ownership of a flat bought from HDB
  • You, the applicant to buy from HDB direct, Have an HDB resale flat bought with a CPF Housing Grant

This refer to the applicant who had;
  • bought the flat the from HDB and then transferred the said ownership
  • taken a CPF Housing Grant from HDB which refer as being subsidy from HDB.

In other word, BENEFIT from any one of the HDB subsidies.

This is in reference to a person who had bought the flat with any HDB subsidies, which is nothing to do with the property itself.

To avoid those who owned a flat bought from HDB subsidy and find ways to passed the ownership to others; and subsequently buy another HDB subsidy flat.
These owners will be classified as not first-timer, but second buyer which have to pay certain fees from the benefit from the 1st flat.

Nobody can escape from the records, as HDB do keep your profile history in their records from the point you purchased or has a name to a HDB flat, whether direct or open market.

The next thing HDB did is to trace and get a full history of your profile on ALL Private And Public Properties with your names, including co-owner & essential occupier of the said HDB flat.
Meaning all private properties transaction will be screened by HDB for private property owner names against their HDB records.

As i had violated one of the HDB policy on private property ownership and went thru a long process to fully understand by face talk with the HDB Officer.
End the end, i had to return the said new BTO HDB at cost, loosing my CPF interest and renovation costs, etc.
Ever since return the said new HDB flat, recently asked another HDB officer on me as still consider as First-Timer, although bought 2 resale HDB flat from open market, of which the recent HDB flat was classified as SERS project.
Learning experience after all these happening and also learnt from HDB Officers on their policy.
Beside this history of incidents, i do have others. . . as my HDB record history is thick.

Regards.

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Then in that case you need not too concern when your mum pass on who will take over the house. Maybe your mum already draw the will already.

To put it bluntly.

What your parents do, and as the child you cannot question your parents.

This type of incident did happened to me, as my sibling refused to honour what our father paid partially to one of the sibling's property.
Make the profit and all was kept by this sibling.
Very long history and story . .

To this day, i am satisfied with a fully paid 5-room BTO HDB flat and still able to survive..

qhong61

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it true that occupier of hdb flat automatically becomes beneficiary when both parents passed away? How abt the siblings who had moved out? Are they entitled to any share?

Manasa62

Reaction score
The flat will share among me and my half brother even though the flat initially belongs to both of my parents?
First of all, HDB inheritance can be decided through a Will. If your mum writes she wants to give 80% to you and 20% to your brother, that's what will happen. The question you have is about if there is no Will. In that case if both of you are her legal children, you'll both get 50% (she is the 100% owner and only that matters).

After that you and your brother will be in a "Tenancy-in-Common" ownership even though your mum was in "Joint Tenancy". You can read this to see how HDB inheritance works.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.